Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 7,356 times

Advertisements

Hi for all,
My neighbor put two satellites dishes on my roof and I can not use my wifi, this is the second year that no one can improve my wifi, I had 18 gb internet from ATT and after around 22 technitions visit my appt, they decided that they can not control wifi, they only control cable. Now I changed to Comcast and the problem s the sam, before a week ago I noticed that my neighbor put two satellite dishes on my roof and this prevent my wifi because it is affected by waves as I study in my class, I don't know where can I go to get help.
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
18GB? Holy crap!

Are you Ina an apartment? I'm trying to understand "my roof".

Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 AM

8 posts, read 7,356 times
Yes, it is apartment and he is the first floor, I talked to the office and they said we don't allow this way it should be in the balcony.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:45 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaweel2004 View Post
Hi for all,
My neighbor put two satellites dishes on my roof and I can not use my wifi, this is the second year that no one can improve my wifi, I had 18 gb internet from ATT and after around 22 technitions visit my appt, they decided that they can not control wifi, they only control cable. Now I changed to Comcast and the problem s the sam, before a week ago I noticed that my neighbor put two satellite dishes on my roof and this prevent my wifi because it is affected by waves as I study in my class, I don't know where can I go to get help.
Thank you in advance
"Affected by waves"? Your theory is nonsense. Your neighbors dishes only receive signals, they don't transmit in all likelihood. Buy a better router, or just use a network cable if using a PC, or MAC.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:00 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Ha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
18GB? Holy crap!

Are you Ina an apartment? I'm trying to understand "my roof".
18GB is not that much if you stream more than a few Netflix movies on it!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:23 AM

51 posts, read 135,175 times
18 GB internet! You must be watching netflix on 20 devices at the same time. Anyhow - I have a 100 MBPS connection at my home and have Dish Satellite on my house roof. I do not see any interference in the connection. I invested in a good router - Netgear Nighthawk and it gives me full signal throughout my home. For an apartment this may be an overkill but if you are suffering from poor connections/ download speed you may think about it - The Max. download speed for this router is around 3.2 GBPS. I doubt you will find any router giving 18 GBPS download speed.
Also, if you have placed your WIFI router next to TV, Cordless Phone, Cable Receiver, A/V BOX, Printer and such electronics - your signal strength will be lower.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,022,255 times
Lol no your neighbors dishes have nothing to do with your wifi.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 AM

504 posts, read 1,151,068 times
wifi rides on 2.4ghz (or 5), unless it's physically interfering (blocking, shielding), you won't see much else.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Hi for all,
Thank you in advance
Quote:
Yes, it is apartment and he is the first floor, I talked to the office and they said we don't allow this way it should be in the balcony.
I'd like to help you, but most of your posts make no sense. First, since so many replies picked up on this, there is no such thing as "18GB Internet from ATT". You have a speed, which could be 18Mbps, and you have a data cap, of which 18GB sounds like a wireless cap.

"22 technicians visited". I don't think so.

If he put a dish on the apartment roof, and it's not allowed per your landlord, then have him/them remove it. Don't whine to us, get your landlord in gear!

And last, I think what you're trying to say, reading between the lines, is that you have a cellular wireless data connection (AKA ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc), and it's being interfered with by your neighbor's satellite dishes. Short answer: That doesn't really happen. Unless the satellite dishes are literally blocking your view to the atmosphere (which they aren't, they would have to surround your apt), a satellite dish is a receiver, that then sends a signal thru wires to the cable box. Your cellular data is wireless, and isn't blocked by a dish.

You mention this is the second year of problems. It's far more likely that you simply don't get a good signal in your apt. It could be (1) you're in a weak cell zone, or (2) your apt is blocking the signal, maybe due to metal studs or some other const related issue. If you walk outside your apt, does it get better?

Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,811,293 times
To be frank, I would have canceled service after the 17th technician.

Also, 18 gb is enough for 1000 homes so you should probably daisy chain 200 routers together and see if that resolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston