Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,647 times

Advertisements

If you have only 2-3 hours for visit Houston..what do you see?

I have thought to see Houston instead of Nasa. I have already visited Cape Canaveral and...I prefer now, to visit this city.

How you recommend me?

Many thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,563 times
the Galleria area i guess

Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Houston is not a city for quick-exposure tourists. The "tourist" spots are really only tourist destinations locally (people living on the prairie will take a beach no matter how low-quality it is) and they are well outside Houston proper.

If the 2-3 time limit this is because you are on an international flight from Italy with a stopover at Bush Intercontinental Airport, just stay at the airport. You're 23 miles (37 km) from downtown and further from the Galleria.

The Galleria is just a big shopping mall with an ice rink in it. It's not worth the bother. It might be worth checking out if you like that kind of thing and you are not here just briefly.

Houston still has things to do that don't necessarily take much time. The Red Line light rail line from Downtown to Reliant Park will get you the most different places the most quickly, unless you have a car and you know where you're going. There is the Aquarium and the Theater District downtown; not that you are allowing much time to take in a production at the theaters. Further down the Red Line is Hermann Park which is perhaps the most scenic area of Houston and a beautiful place in its own right. Think of it as our version of New York's Central Park but safer, especially during daylight. Nearby is the Museum District and the Houston Zoo. Off of the rail line, many restaurants and clubs from Midtown and westward along Richmond, Westheimer and other streets and boulevards where a diverse and international mix of people of all backgrounds live and work.

Space Center Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are interested in the space program, the Johnston Space Center is located ~35 km southeast of Downtown along the Gulf Freeway/I-45 - you will need a car to get there, however. The Johnson Space Center which is home to mission control was once open for tours, but I think they have closed it to the public for security reasons.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 AM

Many thanks!

I have read these places:

Kemah Boardalk;
Chase Tower;
Traders village;
town center.

Can you tell me some information about these places, please?

PS :Where is the "Tunnel"? Is there a website?

I have a car for these periode.

After Houston, in the same day, I'm going to Hunsville (texas prison museum) and Austin (at night).

Where is the "Tunnel"? Is tehre a website?

Thank you!

Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 AM

657 posts, read 2,544,563 times
Houston's so spread out that you're liable to spend most of your time caught in traffic. It's not technically the city, but town center in The Woodlands might be a good place to visit on your way to Huntsville.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,162 times
The Houston tunnels are under downtown Houston. I haven't been there since I worked in downtown about 7 or 8 years ago. They had shops, restaurants, services (dry cleaners, barber shops, etc.) and everything was air conditioned. Try doing a Google search for "downtown Houston tunnel". I'm not sure if you can access them from the Chase Tower (if it's the building I'm thinking about) or not.

The places you are asking about are not close to each other, so it is doubtful you can see all of them during your short stay of 2 to 3 hours. The Kemah boardwalk and Trader's Village are approximately 55 miles apart and it would take *at least* an hour most days to make the trip between them, provided you timed it right with the traffic. That doesn't count for the drive time to get to one or the other to begin with. Also, the tunnels used to be (I'm not sure about now) only open on weekdays and I *think* Trader's Village is only open on the weekends.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 AM

oh, thanks for your information!

It's very important for me

Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 AM

I have read more guides and I found some places for my interest:

* Williams Water Wall and Williams Tower Gallery
* The San Jacinto Monument and Jesse H. Jones Theatre for Texas Studies
* chase tower

What are your opinions?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
OK....you're going to need a lot of energy for this single day of travel.

I just got in about an hour and a half ago driving from Houston to Austin to Seguin (~70km south of Austin) and back to Houston in the space of just 11 hours. And I am exhausted. I am only awake because my caffeine wire hasn't wore off yet. This was for work, and not very strenuous work (besides the driving). What I'm trying to say is that the city of Houston and the state of Texas is very spread out. Driving the speed limit, it's right about three hours from the center of Houston to the center of Austin and that's assuming there are no significant traffic delays. Huntsville is about an hour away and not really in the direction of Austin.

That said....assuming you are going to manage going from Houston to Huntsville to Austin in one day, taking time to sightsee along the way....the Chase building is downtown and not miles off-course from Huntsville like the Williams Tower/Waterwall (the Galleria is near the base of the tower) and the San Jacinto Monument. The monument is along the Houston Ship Channel in Deer Park and on a dead-end road ~6 km long. The monument and the park it sits on (also the home of Battleship Texas) are about 60 km away from downtown in a straight line - longer on the roads, and you have to exit off Interstate 45 to get on Loop 610 and then on Texas Highway 225 east to get there. It's another thing you should only see if you are allowing more time to explore Houston and the immediate area. You will spend more than half of your time allowance just getting to and from the monument.

To be honest, I think you might consider going straight to Huntsville (I'm assuming you are starting off in Houston) and to Austin, then come back and spend an entire day here if you can. You have to in order to see all you'd like to see.

Maybe it's time to establish the Houston Tourism Board...times sure are changing.

Overview - Houston, Texas | Away.com

Anyone who writes "just" 25 miles from downtown as if it's around the corner has to be from Houston...

Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 AM

about miles/kilometers:

GALVESTON/LA PORTE (79 km= 57 min) / HOUSTON (43 km=37 min) / HUNTSVILLE (120km=1.10h) / AUSTIN (284km=3.38h)

Are these hours real for you?

yes, it's very hard but I'm very young and...I want see more places that I can see...

In Austin I would like to arrive at 7 pm about for see the bats.
The second day, I reserve a mid day for Austin and in the evening I'm going to Arlington to see a baseball game. At night I'm going to the airport

Many thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston