Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

The last couple of years, I have used Jubally to provide information for an evaluation of my HCAD appraised property value and tax bill, and as support for my formal protest hearing. They provide the information, you do the protest presentation with the HCAD Appraisal Review Board yourself. The price for that this year was $75, which is up from last year. Last year I got everything I asked for and my HCAD property value was reduced by over $20,000.

Another way to get help with your protest is to hire a company like O'Connor to handle it all for you, but then you owe them 50% of all the money that you save. That seems like too much to me, especially if you win any substantial recovery. With Jubally, you pay them their fee upfront and then everything that you save you keep.

So Jubally provided a preliminary calculation that showed my home was overvalued by about $19,000 this year, so I decided to pay the fee and loge the protest.

I just got back from my HCAD ARB hearing, and the ARB awarded me only a $5,000 reduction in value. If I had known that would be all, I may well have decided not to pursue it this year. I am disappointed in the outcome. In any case, I was thoroughly familiar with the data package and the ARB chair told me I made an excellent presentation. The appraiser then started pulling up information and calculation components that were not included in my Jubally package.

The key comparable I had offered was a home in my neighborhood, with the same exact floor plan and lot size, that was constructed the same year. In my Jubally package, this home was valued at about $17,000 less than mine. The appraiser then pulled up data on this comparable home showing that it was "noticed" at only $5,000 less, so the data did not match. This was really disturbing, because Jubally was supposedly using the most up to date information, which I downloaded yesterday. It could be that HCAD is not providing the same information to the public that they are using in-house. Or it could be that Jubally is not providing the correct, up to date information.

Also, several other comparables that HCAD provided were actually in my immediate neighborhood, although several were quite a bit larger. However, they were all constructed the same year. Meanwhile, the Jubally comparables were mostly about a quarter mile up the street in a neighboring community that was built two years before mine. While the day was not a complete failure, I felt like Jubally's preliminary calculation that I based my decision to protest on was not as reliable as maybe it should have been. Perhaps I am just a little hot because I did not get the full result that I expected. Anyway, this thread is my way of blowing off some steam about this.

Anyone else protest their property taxes using Jubally? What was your experience?

Last edited by Spartacus713; 08-10-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I do not believe you can get a fair shake from HCAD anymore. I think the system has been compromised and you're forced to use a professional service that hires HCAD employees who have the buddy connections. I know this deviates from your question a bit, but I had vent as well. Lol.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:56 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
I came in with a piece of paper a few weeks ago and lowered my value by $17k. I wanted more, but was told I needed more proof. For some reason, they don't understand how to read the maps (a lot of lake lots and homes with no homes behind them, third car carages etc) and think all the houses are the same tier levels.

Next year I plan on taking pictures of the homes that are comparable to mines, any faults in my home and estimates for any repairs. Pictures of the subdivision, other homes with the lake lots, gated community inside my subdivision, etc etc.

Basically we have to put in the effort and do our homework if we are to convince them to appraise our homes at a fair value.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:12 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
I put in my own effort and was denied. Hired OConnor and was still denied. We had solid evidence too. Just because you put in the effort and think you have an open and shut case doesn't mean you will get anything from them.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I put in my own effort and was denied. Hired OConnor and was still denied. We had solid evidence too. Just because you put in the effort and think you have an open and shut case doesn't mean you will get anything from them.
Is your home already at or below the avg sq ft per $ in your subdivision?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 AM

Nope. Much higher per sq/ft than anyone else on the street. HCAD lowered everyone but us on the street when they did their 2016 assessments. Average drop in value was 20k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Is your home already at or below the avg sq ft per $ in your subdivision?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
The AGs office took some sort of action against O'Connor according to the HCAD website.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The AGs office took some sort of action against O'Connor according to the HCAD website.
I've heard O'Conner wasn't following through for new clients. Supposedly, they weren't filing protests for them. Additionally, a lawyer friend told me they were, or should, be in big trouble.

I went with Bettencourt.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:52 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
It is a good thing you passed on O'Connor.

I heard from somebody in that building that the Bettencourt people were very good. There are also a couple of individuals who are also good.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 AM

I'm completely regretting my decision to use them and now it's a little late for this year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: