Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,275,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Meanwhile, intellectuals of all kinds throughout history have always held liberal beliefs. Innovation, creativity, and progress is stymied in conservative regimes. In the US, the Democratic party is the way to go for this.
This is patently untrue. People with a liberal arts upbringing, or college degree tend to gravitate to the left. People with a science, or math background gravitate to the right.

Almost every real college degree (those that begin with a B.S. not a B.A.) tend to vote right of center. Those with the ability to think logically, understand cause/effect, and use reason gravitate heavily to the right. Those who think more from their heart, and use less reason gravitate left. These are the big feelers. Fairness, equality, etc, etc. Unfortunately a B.S. degree is much harder to obtain,so there ARE far fewer people obtaining BS degrees than BA degrees.

Each person is different, but I can assure the intellectuals who design & build REAL things of value such as cars/trucks/space ships, power plants, etc are far more likely to lean right. Those "intellectuals" on the left bring us things like facebook, and iphones. The real irony here is the left leaning folks come up with the idea like an iphone, and then turn to the right leaning folks to actually build it and make it a reality...all the while the left sit up in their ivory tower looking down upon the right thinking how intellectually superior they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,826,197 times
You do realize a lot of those "intellectuals" that made Facebook or iPhones have BS degrees right? You're somewhat right, but it depends on the industry typically.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM

182 posts, read 351,128 times
Yeah. Let's face it. No liberals know anything about science. All a bunch of loser hipsters!

I wish the left with their stupid liberal art degrees would listen to all the conservative scientists and the likes of NASA about the dangers of global warming.

But alas, we are doomed.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,669,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
This is patently untrue. People with a liberal arts upbringing, or college degree tend to gravitate to the left. People with a science, or math background gravitate to the right.

Almost every real college degree (those that begin with a B.S. not a B.A.) tend to vote right of center. Those with the ability to think logically, understand cause/effect, and use reason gravitate heavily to the right. Those who think more from their heart, and use less reason gravitate left. These are the big feelers. Fairness, equality, etc, etc. Unfortunately a B.S. degree is much harder to obtain,so there ARE far fewer people obtaining BS degrees than BA degrees.

Each person is different, but I can assure the intellectuals who design & build REAL things of value such as cars/trucks/space ships, power plants, etc are far more likely to lean right. Those "intellectuals" on the left bring us things like facebook, and iphones. The real irony here is the left leaning folks come up with the idea like an iphone, and then turn to the right leaning folks to actually build it and make it a reality...all the while the left sit up in their ivory tower looking down upon the right thinking how intellectually superior they are.
I have a liberal arts degree in a hard science. I love the liberal arts. I also have a M.S. in a hard science. Where do I fit in? See, it isn't so simple.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,425,034 times
In my 33+ years working in the oil biz (upstream technology), I'd say that most -- but not all -- of the folks with science PhD's were more center or left-of-center. Those from the southern US or certain countries tended to be more conservative, while often being socially liberal otherwise. Those from other parts of the US and other certain countries tended to be more liberal overall.

I think I'm painting with a bit of a broad brush, but perhaps not as broad as that used by some of the previous posters.

In any case, differences in political leaning never seemed to keep us from being friends. As long as neither party had a chip on their shoulder.

Last edited by madrone2k; 09-21-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:16 AM

61,944 posts, read 87,554,606 times
This thread has veered off topic.
Stay on topic, please.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 PM

9,971 posts, read 6,681,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I'm crunching the numbers and you're about to see why that explanation holds no water.
I was going to respond to this once the original thread started, but I decided to wait for this election. You're missing the point. Dallas County is indeed more concentrated in its city core than Harris County is. If you take a look at last night's election, Dallas county went 61/34 red vs blue respectively. Harris County went 54/41. But again, Harris County covers more territory, so this point is invalid.

Now here's a valid point against DFW in comparing who is more blue: Tarrant County (where Fort Worth is located) remains red and not by just a few points. That is 52/43. Another point is that Dallas County is the single and only blue county in the DFW metroplex, while Fort Bend County is blue. So Houston's blue zone atleast extends to some of it's suburbs.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 PM

226 posts, read 307,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I was going to respond to this once the original thread started, but I decided to wait for this election. You're missing the point. Dallas County is indeed more concentrated in its city core than Harris County is. If you take a look at last night's election, Dallas county went 61/34 red vs blue respectively. Harris County went 54/41. But again, Harris County covers more territory, so this point is invalid.

Now here's a valid point against DFW in comparing who is more blue: Tarrant County (where Fort Worth is located) remains red and not by just a few points. That is 52/43. Another point is that Dallas County is the single and only blue county in the DFW metroplex, while Fort Bend County is blue. So Houston's blue zone atleast extends to some of it's suburbs.
I think you got your words mixed up. Dallas was 61-35 blue to red, not red/blue like you wrote.

It is interesting to see Fort Bend flip this cycle though. Romney took it in 2012 53-46, and Clinton took it this year 52-45. I guess it isn't too surprising considering the area is pretty diverse compared to some of the other suburbs in the area. But I agree with Dallas being way more concentrated.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:05 PM

9,971 posts, read 6,681,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oespinoza83 View Post
I think you got your words mixed up. Dallas was 61-35 blue to red, not red/blue like you wrote.

It is interesting to see Fort Bend flip this cycle though. Romney took it in 2012 53-46, and Clinton took it this year 52-45. I guess it isn't too surprising considering the area is pretty diverse compared to some of the other suburbs in the area. But I agree with Dallas being way more concentrated.
Yes you're right, I meant blue-red. But that's my point. Dallas County has half of Harris Counties population and is concentrated in its city core, so that is to be expected. Tarrant County on the other hand has Fort Worth and it isn't even going blue. The fact that it is 54/41 vs Dallas 61/35 isn't valid.

Peterlemonjello is a smart guy as well, so I don't see how this is so hard to understand for him.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:58 PM

108 posts, read 98,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
So Houston's blue zone atleast extends to some of it's suburbs.
On top of that, none of the other large cities in Texas (not even Austin) exhibits a blue zone that extends outside the central county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston