Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:38 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Key View Post
On top of that, none of the other large cities in Texas (not even Austin) exhibits a blue zone that extends outside the central county.
Good point. Unless you count the Rio Grande Valley, none of the other large metro areas in Texas besides Houston have a blue zone extending out the county. Not even Austin or El Paso. Hays County south of Austin barely went red though, so that will probably be the next blue turning counties. Jefferson County is also on the verge of becoming the first blue county in the "Golden triangle"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 PM

108 posts, read 98,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Good point. Unless you count the Rio Grande Valley, none of the other large metro areas in Texas besides Houston have a blue zone extending out the county. Not even Austin or El Paso. Hays County south of Austin barely went red though, so that will probably be the next blue turning counties. Jefferson County is also on the verge of becoming the first blue county in the "Golden triangle"
Jefferson county went blue in 2012. Don't know what happened this year.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 PM

243 posts, read 487,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Key View Post
Jefferson county went blue in 2012. Don't know what happened this year.
Nobama

Old 11-09-2016, 08:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
Emoting is the new cool. Suck it up buttercup.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Nobama
Yeah that has nothing to do with Obama as Kerry won Jefferson County in 2004.

Fort Bend locally did stay red but as each election cycle passes, more competitive races will happen in that county. It really was just a matter of time before Ft Bend turned purplish. The only suburban county in Texas that went blue.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah that has nothing to do with Obama as Kerry won Jefferson County in 2004.

Fort Bend locally did stay red but as each election cycle passes, more competitive races will happen in that county. It really was just a matter of time before Ft Bend turned purplish. The only suburban county in Texas that went blue.
You mean the only suburban county outside of Rio Grande Valley. There's lots of suburban counties in that area that go blue. And I think Nobama may have something to do with Jefferson county given its historic black community. Plus it went red by less than 1% so it's not like it completely flipped over. By the way, the next suburban counties outside of the Rio Grande Valley to go blue will probably be Hays county and Nueces county.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You mean the only suburban county outside of Rio Grande Valley. There's lots of suburban counties in that area that go blue. And I think Nobama may have something to do with Jefferson county given its historic black community. Plus it went red by less than 1% so it's not like it completely flipped over. By the way, the next suburban counties outside of the Rio Grande Valley to go blue will probably be Hays county and Nueces county.
I personally don't feel there are any urban or central counties by a major city in the Rio Grande Valley. If it's not one of the four largest urban cities in Texas, I, myself won't consider the other counties. Also, I'd hardly call Nueces county a suburban county. It's the main county with the main city in that metro. I still stand that it's the first suburban county in Texas to go blue. BTW, if Obama was the reason why Jefferson went blue, explain Kerry and the Democrats getting the county in 2004 with even a larger percentage than either 2008 or 2012 with Obama.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I personally don't feel there are any urban or central counties by a major city in the Rio Grande Valley. If it's not one of the four largest urban cities in Texas, I, myself won't consider the other counties. Also, I'd hardly call Nueces county a suburban county. It's the main county with the main city in that metro. I still stand that it's the first suburban county in Texas to go blue. BTW, if Obama was the reason why Jefferson went blue, explain Kerry and the Democrats getting the county in 2004 with even a larger percentage than either 2008 or 2012 with Obama.
I don't think it's the sole reason. I think it definitely affected it. "Nobama" and the unpopularity of Hillary both had a great effect to it. It also wasn't full on red. It was a less than 1% margin.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's the sole reason. I think it definitely affected it. "Nobama" and the unpopularity of Hillary both had a great effect to it. It also wasn't full on red. It was a less than 1% margin.
That doesn't explain the Democrats winning that county in 04. There was no Obama on the ticket.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
That doesn't explain the Democrats winning that county in 04. There was no Obama on the ticket.
It doesn't explain it, that is true. However that doesn't mean it couldn't have influenced it. Take into consideration Kelly was way more popular than Hillary was, and she was more popular among whites than Obama was, and it can easily influence the decision. Not saying it explains it, nor is it the sole reason, but I definitely think it influenced it to a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston