Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,670 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of relocating to Galveston for a job at UTMB. However would it be a good place to raise biracial children? I have always heard how south Texas is not too amazingly accepting but hoping it is just hearsay. My children are both half white and half black and my husband is black. I heard some pretty awful things about smaller towns like Santa Fe. So I am coming here to ask! Also is there any unsafe areas I should avoid when looking for a rental or anything like that. Thanks in advance any info is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
You will be more than fine in Galveston. You should fit in perfectly there.

Regarding Santa Fe, interesting enough its a "desired" location with accelerating property values. People want to move there. Not bad for an "awful" place!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlet1102 View Post
I have been thinking of relocating to Galveston for a job at UTMB. However would it be a good place to raise biracial children? I have always heard how south Texas is not too amazingly accepting but hoping it is just hearsay. My children are both half white and half black and my husband is black. I heard some pretty awful things about smaller towns like Santa Fe. So I am coming here to ask! Also is there any unsafe areas I should avoid when looking for a rental or anything like that. Thanks in advance any info is appreciated
I don't think you'd run into any trouble in Galveston. Its right near Houston and fairly diverse with about a 25% Hispanic and black so it's not like you'll stand out. Anything can happen anywhere, but I can't imagine having trouble in Galveston. Don't believe all the stereotypes about Texas. Most people in Texas won't care or even notice you are half of a biracial couple. People will judge you on individual basis. It's how you live your life and how well you treat others is what matters to most Texans. Not the skin color of the person you married.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
You should really, and I mean really, rent the Anthony Bourdain episode in which he visits Houston. That will answer your question about multi-racial families. The segment on the family Pearland is particularlly interesting. Biracial families are kind of common here. Even the whitest of white neighborhoods are still likely to have a handful of minorities. I am often amazed at the Texas stereotypes that still float around.

Galveston has a lot of unsafe areas for it's size. It would best to spend a few days driving around to get a feel for what you are getting into. But it does have a lot of fascinating neighborhoods, too. The nicer neighborhoods are going to cost $$$. Lots of people who work in Galveston choose to live on the mainland (Texas City to League City/Clear Lake) and commute. There is a limited bus service to and from Galveston to League City.

Santa Fe is nowhere near as bad as what you hear. It's not fantastic, either, but still... As said earlier, it is becoming a desired area. It's not unbelievable to see it experience future growth. People have a hard time letting go of stereotypes that are dying or don't exist anymore.

It will be ok, I promise. I am a minority myself. Spend some time looking around and welcome to Texas!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:31 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Santa Fe? lol

no way. do a google search about race and santa fe

Old 12-30-2016, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,670 times
Thanks guys! Yeah, I honestly figured a lot of talk was stereotypes. I am pretty excited about Galveston. I will definitely check out that episode too! I have been google earthing all around. I was born in Galveston and technically lived there, but my family moved and traveled around so much I don't really remember anything about it.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I'm a native houstonian and I'd have no problem living in Galveston but I'd seek private schools for my kids. Public schools are not good there.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Consider living in Seabrook. Great schools, much better overall.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 PM

102 posts, read 132,018 times
Galveston is plenty diverse, but the schools are weak. I wouldn't send my kids there. When I worked at UTMB, we lived in the CCISD district and I commuted to Galveston. The drive is about 25-30 min.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:06 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'm a native houstonian and I'd have no problem living in Galveston but I'd seek private schools for my kids. Public schools are not good there.
I agree. Living in Galveston shouldn't be a problem for you, but you wouldn't want to go with the usual schools there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston