Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 11,825 times

Advertisements

Hello
My wife and I will be moving to Houston in July and are interested in renting a nice townhouse or home in or around the Med Center area. With two kids in collage our budget is tight, so I would be willing to deal with a longer drive to work if it saved on my rent. We would like a place with at least 2 (two) bedrooms plus some room for a den. Our dog would like a small yard, but he may have to settle for walks in the park. We would really appriciate any advice anyone can offer to help our search for a new place.
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,599,377 times
What's your monthly budget and where will you be working?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
What's your monthly budget and where will you be working?
Our estimated budget is now set around $1200/Month for rent, but we my be able to go a little higher depending on how high fuel and energy prices rise over the next few months. I will be working as a medical fellow in the houston med center.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 AM

175 posts, read 939,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMax View Post
Hello
My wife and I will be moving to Houston in July and are interested in renting a nice townhouse or home in or around the Med Center area. With two kids in collage our budget is tight, so I would be willing to deal with a longer drive to work if it saved on my rent. We would like a place with at least 2 (two) bedrooms plus some room for a den. Our dog would like a small yard, but he may have to settle for walks in the park. We would really appriciate any advice anyone can offer to help our search for a new place.
Thank You
Go to HAR.com. That is the Houston MLS. Click on area 17 and you will find many listings.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappinator View Post
Go to HAR.com. That is the Houston MLS. Click on area 17 and you will find many listings.
Thanks; I'll try HAR.com. As we are not planning on moving until mid-June should we hold off looking or would it be better to lock in a place ASAP?

MDMax

Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM

64 posts, read 212,211 times
I would look on craig's list - you'd be amazed at what never makes it on to HAR.

Speaking as someone who knows.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Try any listing service you can find, but I think you should probably try to make your arrangements as soon as possible. You can definitely find yourself over a barrell if you wait too long.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 PM

175 posts, read 939,496 times
Thanks; I'll try HAR.com. As we are not planning on moving until mid-June should we hold off looking or would it be better to lock in a place ASAP?

MDMax

Generally, I'd say go about a month and a half out. And, I would definitely CAREFULLY READ the listings on HAR.com. Here's why, they are classified as "Townhome/Condomiums. In my mind, that is an oxymoron. A townhome sits on the ground, a condo requires taking the stairs or elevator, IMO. Which do your prefer? If you find that there are a limited number of units which meet your requirements, then you may have to lock in something sooner than a month in advance. Also, I'd suggest having someone drive by the area to get a feel for the area and maybe take some photos for you if you are going to lease it sight unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: