Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:20 PM

447 posts, read 488,286 times

Advertisements

I'm sick and tired about politics associated with our disaster. Don't give a crap, what I do care about is my community and how to help them right now. Hearing people cry and trying to evacuate , knowing that person from our area lost his life last night. And who knows how many more did. That's what I care about, not politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I bet $1000 that nobody in the media calls it "Trump's Katrina"
That's the first thing they'll be calling it.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
"Address" like how? Stop the hurricane from coming to shore? Keep the rain from falling from the sky?
Have systems in place to handle problems in triage tier vs haphazard as they arise

Plan for shelters
Have them stocked--FEMA has done little to support ground level relief efforts
What I hear from friends in H area that are in shelters or taking supplies is that this is all volunteer for most part--which is great and authentic concern...but we pay TAXES for FEMA assistance in disasters...
It was not ready...it underestimated crisis level
Call up NG before Harvey was 5 days old
Have centralized command for all Houston area to make decisions rather than one by one
Have one central website w/links to specific areas and support organizations

Be better organized
Local tax dollars go to the EM Dept's in every county
Some seem very organized and others dont

Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
I'm sick and tired about politics associated with our disaster. Don't give a crap, what I do care about is my community and how to help them right now. Hearing people cry and trying to evacuate , knowing that person from our area lost his life last night. And who knows how many more did. That's what I care about, not politics.
Well the only way to keep politics out of disaster relief is make it all volunteer

Your government on every level from school board to city to county to state and federal IS politics....
FEMA is a Federal Govt Dept and the president appoints its head and the president wants to cut FEMA funding by 30% in Mulvaneys proposed budget....
Your flood control districts/boards are political and lobbied by developers and others just as city councils are lobbied to vote one way or another about zoning issues...

How do you think any Govt relief money will be funded if politicians won't agree about the debt ceiling and put a package together that addresses both issues and quickly?
Did you think it was disgusting When politicians with political agendas prevented and delayed relief money for Sandy victims in 2011? Do you think the Dems will do what thecGOP did? And Mulvaney was one leading that resistance as was Cruz and Cornyn...

If Trump really wanted to be helpful he could call for a moritorium on all mortgage payments, credit card bills, college loans for those in this disaster situation as General Honore recommended this weekend. He is the one who finally got a grip on the Katrina disaster and organized a functioning relief system...
He would be a good man to put in charge of overall disaster relief

Old 08-29-2017, 02:35 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Maybe his hair will create some weird atmospheric effect, whereby the sun will show through and bounce back and destroy clouds. That's about the best we can hope for when the circus comes to town.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:46 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have systems in place to handle problems in triage tier vs haphazard as they arise

Plan for shelters - there are plans for shelters. Where do you think those folks are right now?
Have them stocked--FEMA has done little to support ground level relief efforts. - do you have proof of this?
What I hear from friends in H area that are in shelters or taking supplies is that this is all volunteer for most part--which is great and authentic concern...but we pay TAXES for FEMA assistance in disasters... - we do, but any time charity can take the burden off of the govt, it's a good thing. FEMA screwed up so badly in NO, I wouldn't want them anywhere near a disaster.
It was not ready...it underestimated crisis level - nobody can predict the weather. Nobody.
Call up NG before Harvey was 5 days old - it was called up days ago.
Have centralized command for all Houston area to make decisions rather than one by one - you may "have friends" in Houston, but no concept of the area. "All" of Houston is not affected. And many areas other than Houston are.
Have one central website w/links to specific areas and support organizations - yea, that's a top priority.

Be better organized - it looks pretty organized to me. A disaster of this magnitude, and folks are getting help.
Local tax dollars go to the EM Dept's in every county
Some seem very organized and others dont
I love armchair quarterbacks.....

Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 4,960 times
Oh look more *******s on CD politicizing our disaster...

Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickels2 View Post
Oh look more *******s on CD politicizing our disaster...
This disaster is going to be owned by everyone. There is no "yours" and "ours" in this whole mess. Not sure what your insult is with all the asterisks but hopefully you recognize you are also part of the CD population.

There is a new norm these days trying to be born whereby we don't talk about the obvious in our everyday interactions. That seems bizarre to me. I'd say it's like not wanting to talk about the elephant in the living room but...well, nvm. Actually, I'm not really sure it's a new norm...probably just denial as usual.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Did he actually talk with any flood victims today?

Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
"Address" like how? Stop the hurricane from coming to shore? Keep the rain from falling from the sky?
Since we can control the weather and stop climate change, Trump should have been able to stop the hurricane but chose not to because he's racist, homophobic, sexist, a bigot.. er, have I missed any?

In reality, the flooding is due to Melania wearing stilettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston