Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 PM

447 posts, read 496,696 times

Advertisements

I am out of town, but to be frank I think many Houstonian's opinion makes common sense that you probablly lack of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysik View Post
Our agent is pretty sure next week will be fine.

Given that a disaster of this magnitude has never hit Houston before I thought it would be a good idea to get some second opinions.

As you can see above there's a lot of disagreement... Which has me worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 PM

997 posts, read 711,875 times
Can you renegotiate with the firm for them to put you and your family in paid housing for 6 months? Surely the Hurricane is a game changer; any applicants would be having second thoughts. The firm may work with you on this.

If the paid housing doesn't fly, how about taking your home off the market and leaving your family in place, and renegotiate your relocation bennies to give you more time?

And it goes without saying when you do look, steer clear of any home that was in a flooded area.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:48 PM

171 posts, read 246,579 times
There's a little too much doom and gloom here, in this particular situation. Whatever major corporation OP is with will continue to do business. All of the energy and O&G companies have had people working throughout the entire disaster. Houston will keep moving. The first question that is usually asked when someone is looking to move to Houston:

What is your budget?
Where are the homes you want to tour?

If your agent says its ok, I would believe them. If you give us specifics, someone here can give more insight on that area.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 16,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
There's a little too much doom and gloom here, in this particular situation. Whatever major corporation OP is with will continue to do business. All of the energy and O&G companies have had people working throughout the entire disaster. Houston will keep moving. The first question that is usually asked when someone is looking to move to Houston:

What is your budget?
Where are the homes you want to tour?

If your agent says its ok, I would believe them. If you give us specifics, someone here can give more insight on that area.
My new company will definitely continue to do business. Their Houston office is very small (~200 employees) compared to the company as a whole so they are not exposed to a risk of shutting down from this.

Our budget is $600-800K

We're looking to see homes in:
Spring (Champion Woods, Gleannloch Farms)
Cypress (Bridgeland, Lakes of Fairhaven)
Katy (Cinco Ranch SW, Cross Creek Ranch)
Richmond (Lakes of Mission Grove)
Sugar Land (Telfair, Greatwood)

(And yes I am fully aware of the commutes before someone brings it up!)

Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,747,246 times
I'll bring it up anyway. With that budget you could afford to live in Houston, is there a reason you want a long commute from the exurbs? Katy to the Galleria is like what you would wish on your enemies.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,107,566 times
With housing prices going through the roof and no vacancies and price gouging its like you've got an automatic pay cut. Maybe rethink that new job?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:38 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,023,844 times
Cross about half if not more of those off the list. Several are currently underwater or were underwater at the time of this post. Your realtor is being disingenuous if they think they'll be showing homes in any of these places in the next two weeks. Let's get real about this, which you haven't been so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysik View Post
My new company will definitely continue to do business. Their Houston office is very small (~200 employees) compared to the company as a whole so they are not exposed to a risk of shutting down from this.

Our budget is $600-800K

We're looking to see homes in:
Spring (Champion Woods, Gleannloch Farms)
Cypress (Bridgeland, Lakes of Fairhaven)
Katy (Cinco Ranch SW, Cross Creek Ranch)
Richmond (Lakes of Mission Grove)
Sugar Land (Telfair, Greatwood)

(And yes I am fully aware of the commutes before someone brings it up!)

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 AM

322 posts, read 710,809 times
If said "Major Corporation" needs you that much, they'll get you into a corporate apartment nearby. No company is completely dumb about what is going on in Houston.

We all work at these companies and I don't think this company will show you the door if you can't get permanent accommodations settled yet.

Yes, half of these communities that you have decided upon are underwater. You are that set on a flooded house? It will take months to sort those out.

Has your realtor discussed other MPCs that aren't quite so flooded? I know we can offer a few.

Does school district matter?

Old 08-30-2017, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 16,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Cross about half if not more of those off the list. Several are currently underwater or were underwater at the time of this post. Your realtor is being disingenuous if they think they'll be showing homes in any of these places in the next two weeks. Let's get real about this, which you haven't been so far.
Do you know specifically which of these neighborhoods flooded?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,747,246 times
Only one on your list I'm aware of with flooded houses is Greatwood. People are being dramatic again on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston