Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 AM

57 posts, read 159,180 times

Advertisements

I will be moving my family to Houston area from MI. Looking for housing no more than 250k. 5 bdrms at least 3 full bthrms. Excellent schools low crime. Have heard very good things about all these areas. Like trees but not too woodsy. Love sunshine. I just found out about the woodlands sounds similiar to where I live now. Is it in my price range? How do the areas compare to each other. Pros and Cons. All info and opinions appreciated.

Lesgru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM

57 posts, read 159,180 times
I found another thread comparing suburbs of Houston. It seems they are all good and everyone pretty much rates the same 7 or 8 top for different reasons. It seems as if you can't lose with any of those I listed. Will visit all. It is nice to know so many good choices available. Houston burbs here i come!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
My wife and i are buying a couple of properties near Houston. It seems the places to avoid are in the south east areas. Is that true? Spring looks good, also Katy and most areas north or west.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Southeast isn't to be avoided - just certain areas - which is true on all sides of Houston. Southwest has bad areas until you get to Missouri City/Sugarland, Northeast and Northwest can be bad as well in certain areas. THe majority of the suburbs that people gravitate to are outside of Beltway 8 -- all the way around the city. The exceptions to that are the high-end, upper income areas such as Memorial, West University, Heights can be pricey but not as much as the previous two but is on its way, Montrose. Other than that - any side of town has wonderful suburbs outside of Beltway 8.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:47 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Thanks for that. We obviously will look when we come over but we have seen some amazing houses at rock bottom prices in Spring katy woodlands etc.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Houston overall probably has some of the best housing prices in the country - it isn't a city known for beauty - it is known for affordable housing, low unemployment rate, etc. We have parks, etc. but overall it is just a large spread out city with a lot of nice suburbs surrounding it and most of those 'burbs' with good schools too. One thing to consider is where your employment is located - Houston is vast and spread out - commutes can get old so it is often a good idea to try and live in an area on the same side of town or close to your employer if possible. When you visit - take that into consideration when house shopping.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
Though Houston is not known for its beauty, wooded areas like The Woodlands and Kingwood are very beautiful.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM

25 posts, read 88,790 times
Sugar Land would be my vote for you to consider, I've lived in Sugar land for 14 years. For that price range there should be plenty of options. A couple of places that may not be obvious would be New Terrority (Robinson Landing) and Sugar Mill off of Alt-90.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Families, schools, safety: All four places are generally good for those, though you have a few neighborhoods that aren't as good as others. For example, in Sugar Land you'll want to generally stay away from the northern part of the city, and in Missouri City you'll want to stay away from the eastern part of the city. Eastern Sugar Land and western Missouri City are identical as one blends right into the other.

Commute: Depends on where your commute is to. If it's into Houston, this is where The Woodlands and Katy are going to be less desirable...

Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,701 times
As far as the burbs go...Champions, Klein and Cypress would get my vote along with The Woodlands (and Kingwood)

A million people can't be wrong. Northwest is best, we've got the big trees. Demographically, its one of the largest continual blocs of 'nice' there is in the Houston area. We've got very low crime and good schools. If you're concerned about Houston's reputation for air quality, it's better to be upwind and far away from the major industrial centers and smog belching freeways when you live in a metro-area like Houston.

Start in The Woodlands, go South down to 1960 turn West and go all the way past 290 to Longenbaugh, then back up North to Bridgeland. Inside this area, you'll find a hundred or more beautiful neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston