Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I want to move from NY and love the VA/ MD/ DC metro area. Before I pick up and move, I want to consider Houston though. I'm specifically asking what's it like for people who are into the Black artsy-fartsy, political activist, natural hair-wearing, museum-going intellectual crowd. I've researched and heard Houston is a great city for Blacks but that people who roll in the set I described aren't really welcome there and that even the smart and educated Black females tend to be ghetto, ignorant, BET-loving kinda girls. I've never been to Houston so these are not my words; it's what I heard. Please give me insight so I can determine what I've heard is true and to what extent. I was planning on going in the spring.

Thanks in advace for your honest feedback about what I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,444,009 times
Well, Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation, has an extremely large museum district, a very active art community, a huge amount of theater seats, and has a very large community of ANY socio/economic/cultural niche you want to be a part of.

I would disagree with your interpretation of the educated black female in Houston. Of the black people that I personally know (and are very educated) I would say they are extremely far away from the "ghetto, ignorant, BET-loving kinda girls." Everything from the church going, Princeton graduate lawyer neighbor that we have, to the mid-town hipster UT CPA that I grew up with.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM

530 posts, read 2,039,354 times
I'll say I don't see many native-Houstonian black women who fit your profile, but there are a lot of people who have moved here who sound similar to you. In general, I find southern blacks to be more of the "ghetto, ignorant, BET-loving" types (to quote you) Not to say that's all southern blacks, but it is more likely that a southern black individual would fit that profile than say, a professional black woman from New York or even Chicago.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,531,394 times
Dang.
People will make up anything about Houston to make it look bad.

I don't see any educated blacks in my areas that fit that description at all. Primarily if you work Downtown, Museum District or Uptown, that stuff doesn't go over well. However, if you go to the more middle class sections of the metro, you do find some of that snap-snap-twist stuff.

Now some of the nurses in the Med Center......well, you got me there. Divalicious.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 AM

91 posts, read 293,854 times
I've only lived here a couple of months. Not too long ago I lived in NYC for 7 years. I know the kind of people you're looking for (artsy-fartsy, etc), and I can say I see them here, but they don't predominate like they do on the East coast. They don't even represent in Los Angeles to that degree, so it's not like Houston is exclusive.

I'm sure Houston has its share of "snap-snap-twist" (lol!) types, but I think once you're talking a certain educational and socio-economic level you won't see much of that. What you're most likely to find are women like my realtor: business-minded, label-concsious, permed, Essence Magazine aspirants. Very nice women, and all about getting things done.

All that said, I doubt you'll feel out of place down here. People treat you respectfully and cordially, if not kindly, wherever you go.

Last edited by barackbff; 11-24-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM

530 posts, read 2,039,354 times
P.S.
If you run into one of the group who came from New Orleans, we don't claim those

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,318,876 times
Hillarious but true
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
P.S.
If you run into one of the group who came from New Orleans, we don't claim those

Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,318,876 times
I see a lot of Jamaicans and Nigerians in MO City and the SW side of town most of them are nice looking and have money.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM

421 posts, read 1,728,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPhia Phia View Post
Hi Guys,

I want to move from NY and love the VA/ MD/ DC metro area. Before I pick up and move, I want to consider Houston though. I'm specifically asking what's it like for people who are into the Black artsy-fartsy, political activist, natural hair-wearing, museum-going intellectual crowd. I've researched and heard Houston is a great city for Blacks but that people who roll in the set I described aren't really welcome there and that even the smart and educated Black females tend to be ghetto, ignorant, BET-loving kinda girls. I've never been to Houston so these are not my words; it's what I heard. Please give me insight so I can determine what I've heard is true and to what extent. I was planning on going in the spring.

Thanks in advace for your honest feedback about what I heard.
My natural sticks out like a sore thumb!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM

22 posts, read 64,202 times
Default Quick Point

I'm sure that you've considered this but I have a friend who lives in Herndon, VA. His house is about 5 minutes from Dulles International. It isn't a bad house by any means but he paid $650,000 for it. A comparable house in Houston, even in the Loop would be less than $400k. Go out to Sugar Land, Katy, or the Woodlands and you'd pay less than 250K for the same house. Not too bad considering the drive from his house to downtown D.C. is MUCH, MUCH worse than the commute from any of those suburbs to downtown Houston.

Its just a thought.

As far as finding your niche there in Houston, I'll be watching what people say...interesting. My cousin from Dallas (white girl) married a black guy she met in college and they now live in D.C. He's a doctor originally from Nigeria and very artsy-fartsy so I know what you mean about liking that aspect of D.C. She said that she didn't think their interracial marriage would be as accepted in Dallas as in D.C., but my impression is that Houston is much more diverse and international than Dallas.

Anyway, good luck classy black chick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston