Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM

132 posts, read 587,995 times

Advertisements

We are planning to send our kid (2+) to some sort of pre-K/Daycare/Montessori and would like to get feedback on the Programmes/Places around TMC area.

We need only 2 or 3 days a week and trying to find out whether that is an option.

Specifically, anyone has feedback on 'Childrens Hour Montessori' / St Nicholas school in Medical center area ? Also, I heard there are some programmes operated by Churches.

Appreciate feedback with a note about fees they charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 77,331 times
Default did not like st nicholas

my husband and i visited st nicholas school last week. we are also looking for good daycares in the medical center area for our 2 yr old. location-wise, the center is great, very close to the medical center. looks very nice from the outside. honestly, the director put me off. she seemed very unprofessional and fake, as well as rigid. refused to give us a tour even though i called ahead and said we would be in town for only a day. apparently they only give tours at 8:30 am, 3 days a week. we were only able to get there at 11 am as we had many things to do that day ( we are relocating in june) and she flatly refused a tour as "the kids are sleeping". so what? i just want to see the layout of the school, it's not like i'm going to make a lot of noise and wake up the kids! anyway, another issue with this school is that they make you sign a contract for a year which is binding unless you move out of state. to me that's ridiculous for a daycare! kids at this school have to wear a uniform from 18m onwards. also ridiculous! so despite it's great location this school is not an option for us. tuition is something like $900-$1300 depending on your child's age and schedule.
by the way, i am also still searching for a good daycare convenient to the medical center so any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,750 times
HI
I too am looking for information about the childrens hour montessori. Have you heard anything else about them? I have a four year old that im looking for a school for.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2texas View Post
by the way, i am also still searching for a good daycare convenient to the medical center so any recommendations would be much appreciated!
My kids have been at First Christian School, on Sunset (across the street from Rice University) for several years. They are a reasonably priced daycare, hours are something like 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (I'm not 100% sure about those hours because we drop off later and pick up earlier). They offer 3, 4, or 5 days a week, which is rare. For five days a week, prices range from $650/month for pre-K to $715/month for one-year-olds.

Just as an aside, Rice University opened a child care center this year. They would charge us twice as much as we pay at First Christian! Nice benefit, right, when they don't pay you enough to afford it?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM

132 posts, read 587,995 times
Do they have any half-day 5 days per week schedule ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
My kids have been at First Christian School, on Sunset (across the street from Rice University) for several years. They are a reasonably priced daycare, hours are something like 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (I'm not 100% sure about those hours because we drop off later and pick up earlier). They offer 3, 4, or 5 days a week, which is rare. For five days a week, prices range from $650/month for pre-K to $715/month for one-year-olds.

Just as an aside, Rice University opened a child care center this year. They would charge us twice as much as we pay at First Christian! Nice benefit, right, when they don't pay you enough to afford it?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston456 View Post
Do they have any half-day 5 days per week schedule ?
Nope, only full-day.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

13 posts, read 77,331 times
I enrolled my 2 yr old son at montessori country day school. They have a good reputation and I heard many positive reviews from my colleagues who had their children there. There are several campuses in the museum area, the main office is on labranch. I think they do a good job and my son enjoys school. They have quite a waiting list, though. It is extremely convenient if you work in the medical center area. Check out www.montessorihouston.com for details. I believe that half day schedules are an option there.

Last edited by ny2texas; 08-23-2008 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: forgot to add info

Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2texas View Post
I enrolled my 2 yr old son at montessori country day school. They have a good reputation and I heard many positive reviews from my colleagues who had their children there. There are several campuses in the museum area, the main office is on labranch. I think they do a good job and my son enjoys school. They have quite a waiting list, though. It is extremely convenient if you work in the medical center area. Check out www.montessorihouston.com for details. I believe that half day schedules are an option there.
Yes, that school has an excellent reputation.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 9,437 times
we are planning on sending my son to Children's hour montessori, just looking for feedback. thank you

Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
St Stepehens has a Montossori program and I know people who love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: