Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
As much as I hate it here because of the heat, that's why I think you would like here. We do have street lights. I do think Texas are pretty friendly. I still think the outskirts is better for you like maybe The Woodlands, Kingwood. Have looked at Sugarland or Katy maybe?
Interesting...

Well what I meant by a friendly place is somewhere it's more common for random strangers to strike up a conversation or even a little small talk than to ignore each other, like in S.C. and maybe N.C.
(Ignoring strangers is most definitely the norm here)

Could you give me an estimate of how many stars you can see in a typical neighbourhood, or the darkest colour the sky gets?

Where I live the night sky will always have a yellowish/orangish and purple to it, with the yellow probably light reflecting off clouds or humidity.

On my cul-de-sac I can't see more than 3-4 dozen stars on the clearest night when I put my hands up to block out the street lights. Around our neighbourhood in the woods or school playground it's possible to see maybe 100-150 stars on the clearest night.

I never counted stars in Raleigh but I know it was A LOT darker there than here. They had street lights, but often spaced 150-250 feet apart. The sky actually looked black in some parts of the horizon, at least when you're not downtown. Ours are maybe 80 feet apart so there's no shadows.

I thought it's funny how the main things that annoy me about some big cities are often the little things that most other people ignore normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 08:02 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting...

Well what I meant by a friendly place is somewhere it's more common for random strangers to strike up a conversation or even a little small talk than to ignore each other, like in S.C. and maybe N.C.
(Ignoring strangers is most definitely the norm here)

Could you give me an estimate of how many stars you can see in a typical neighbourhood, or the darkest colour the sky gets?

Where I live the night sky will always have a yellowish/orangish and purple to it, with the yellow probably light reflecting off clouds or humidity.

On my cul-de-sac I can't see more than 3-4 dozen stars on the clearest night when I put my hands up to block out the street lights. Around our neighbourhood in the woods or school playground it's possible to see maybe 100-150 stars on the clearest night.

I never counted stars in Raleigh but I know it was A LOT darker there than here. They had street lights, but often spaced 150-250 feet apart. The sky actually looked black in some parts of the horizon, at least when you're not downtown. Ours are maybe 80 feet apart so there's no shadows.

I thought it's funny how the main things that annoy me about some big cities are often the little things that most other people ignore normally.
Well sky is not very dark in my neighborhood and I can't see many stars, too many other lights around.
I think it's pretty common for people to talk to strangers here, at least I do. I'm very friendly with everyone.
I think the reason other people don't get annoyed at those things is because most of us are busy rushing around we don't slow down enough to see what's around us and appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:55 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Well sky is not very dark in my neighborhood and I can't see many stars, too many other lights around.

I think it's pretty common for people to talk to strangers here, at least I do. I'm very friendly with everyone.

I think the reason other people don't get annoyed at those things is because most of us are busy rushing around we don't slow down enough to see what's around us and appreciate it.
I suppose I could live with that.

Sweet!

Is that what is meant by hustle and bustle of a city?
Like most residents keeping supposedly busy most of the time?

I seem to be naturally quite slow and relaxed. (relative to most other people)
When I'm not working, I'm rarely "keeping myself busy." I do chores, hobbies or whatever like most people but I don't usually put pressure on myself to get most of them done at any particular speed.
I also feel stress only on rare occaisions.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM

84 posts, read 761,395 times
Yes, I agree with the previous posts. Light pollution is a huge problem in Houston as in any major urban area. The other problem with Houston is that the high humidity compounded with the light makes star gazing very difficult. The sky is not black with stars, rather orange or pink. An excellent solution, though is to drive 30 minutes south of the city to the Brazos Bend state park. They have an observatory there where many people check out the night sky.
With regard to hospitality, Houston is amazingly friendly. Growing up in San Francisco, I always assumed the west coast was layed back and friendly (compared to New York/New England area). Not true when compared with Houston. San Franciscans do not chat it up with strangers which is so common with many Houstonians. My first trip down to Houston, my cabbie was so friendly, I assumed I was about to be ripped off somehow. People in Houston are just so nice. Standing in line yesterday at the Pharmacy we were stuck for over an hour. Complete strangers shot smiles at one another in acknowledgment of a mutual frustration. Houston is an unusally friendly place for such a large city. The exception of course which every Houstonian knows is: Everyone becomes a monster once in their car. Be warned... watch out for the wrath of the non-turn signalling, 'never letting you in' Houston driver!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:28 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonNTheRearViewMirror View Post
I guess I will receive many scathing replies from dyed-in-the-wool Houstonians and/or Texans, saying what a wonderful place Houston is, and maybe I should get the heck out. Save yourself the trouble. I am getting out, and that will be a happy day for me.
I feel the same way about Philadelphia. Perhaps I should have used that disclaimer as well.
But I had been noticing that the people from Texas were nice,or maybe that's just compared to Phila.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:30 AM

[quote=Mr. Football;213220]Agree about the illegals, they're horrible litter bugs. They throw their trash out wherever they see fit and don't even blink an eye.QUOTE]

It may not just be the illegals trashing the place,the locals do that here also in Phila.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonNTheRearViewMirror View Post
You're right about the restaurants here, they are great, especially the seafood.
Culture/arts - most of that is downtown. I worked downtown for 25 years. I don't go downtown anymore unless it's for jury duty.
Pro sports events - I'm a teacher, no money for anything but basic necessities.
Museums and festivals - all VERY overcrowded with people, parking is a nightmare.
Beaches - mudholes with trash strewn everywhere.
People always try and make an area sound good by mentioning the 'arts and restaurants and museums' and such,but in the everyday reality of things the locals have to drive the highways and deal with the weather and bugs etc. more. All that cultural stuff is either for drawing tourists or for the locals to enjoy maybe on the weekends.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:37 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Besides having all the stuff like a thriving arts scene, one of the largest and best medical centers, etc, etc., it is the day to day quality of life department where I think Houston really shines.

On a day to day basis I think you need to be happy with A). Your job B). Your Spouse/Partner C). Your home. Those are the big issues. Houston has a strong job market. It is easy to make a living and with the lower cost of living, not have to work 80 hours a week to do it. Houston's lower cost and wide variety of housing stock & neighborhoods make it easier to find a home that you are excited about living in. If you are in a neighborhood that has changed in a way that you don't like, or you have changed in your wants, you can always sell and move to a different area. Neighborhoods vary widely and there is something for every taste. As for a partner, you are on your own there. But in a big city like this with lots of friendly people, if you don't have one, you stand as good a chance as anywhere, probably better, in finding someone here. So yes, on the really important stuff Houston offers a lot that makes it very livable for a lot of people. The rest (great shopping, festivals, arts & theatre, nightlife, nearby beaches, unbelievable array of restaurants, world-class medical facilities, etc) is just gravy.

Yes there is heat and bugs, but nothing that can't be addressed with a good air conditioner and a bottle of "skintastic." A small price to pay for the financial "breathing room" living in Houston gives a lot of people with its strong job market and low cost of living.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:11 AM

59 posts, read 426,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I also resent having to "press 1" to continue in English when I call customer service lines. Is there any other country in the known world that would so accomodate to non-natives? I expect sales people in the Galleria to be speaking Spanish to their customers from Mexico (it's all about the money) but I don't expect it at the place I stop for breakfast.
I was born in Brooklyn, NY...and am as English speaking as they come . I now live in South Florida (moving soon to Houston) and am surrounded by Spanish speaking people. Some places here it's almost expected that you speak Spanish and they look at you like you have two heads if you don't. However, it is interesting to note that the United States does NOT have an official language....English, or otherwise. Therefore, we aren't truly "accommodating" non-natives, or rather Spanish speaking non-natives. I do know that people have been lobbying to make English our official language...but not sure how that's going or even how to go about signing a petition or such. Just thought you'd find this interesting.

On another note...as I mentioned above, we are moving to Houston soon, to the Woodlands area, and I HAVE noticed very large cockroaches (albeit dead ones) in some of the vacant homes that we looked at. Please someone tell me I won't see these things marching through my house if I have a monthly pest control service. I have an almost ridiculous fear of bugs like that and big spiders and I'll go absolutely into a foaming shock if I see these things in my home. Mosquitos don't bother me so much, though, but ask me that after I've lived here for a while lol.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM

107 posts, read 569,240 times
Quote:
I HAVE noticed very large cockroaches (albeit dead ones) in some of the vacant homes that we looked at. Please someone tell me I won't see these things marching through my house if I have a monthly pest control service.
No, you shouldn't have a problem if you regularly service your home. But note that these huge roaches (tree roaches) live outdoors and only occasionally wander indoors. They're more apt to come inside when it's cooler, because they like the warmth. But every now and then, you'll find one inside. And a word of warning--THEY FLY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston