Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times

Advertisements

Galveston County has struggled with negative perceptions of all public schools south of Clear Creek ISD. Seriously, is there really some reason someone couldn't put their family in one of the other Galveston County school districts and do just fine? Why give yourself a longer commute?

Though, the comment about the flooding in Dickinson is relevant - a good chunk of the town got absolutely hammered in Harvey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 01:19 PM

123 posts, read 100,518 times
Clear Creek ISD and Friendswood ISD are the moves. I know that's a decent commute, but that's the reality about taking a job in Galveston and not wanting to live in Galveston/wanting good schools.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
Do the Dickinson city limits go west of 45? Or is that League City? Dickinson ISD has a elementary on the west side of 45 but that might be in League City. That area would be a good option for a shorter commute but the schools aren't as good as League City so it's probably worth tacking on a little bit to the commute. But I would say that's as close as I'd go as the schools get progressively worse south of Dickinson.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Do the Dickinson city limits go west of 45? Or is that League City? Dickinson ISD has a elementary on the west side of 45 but that might be in League City. That area would be a good option for a shorter commute but the schools aren't as good as League City so it's probably worth tacking on a little bit to the commute. But I would say that's as close as I'd go as the schools get progressively worse south of Dickinson.
Yes Dickinson extends west of 45, or at least the school district does.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Anything better than the 45 mile one way 1 hr commute I do now is a plus.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Sometimes I hate when people don't come back and post an update so here's mines:

We ended up moving at the end of May when school was out. My job took care of all the packing and moving. They also gave us TQSE (temp quarters) so we stayed in a hotel off Bay area for a little over 2 months. It wasn't bad because it was a 2-bedroom with a kitchen similar to a small condo.

We ended up getting a rental house in Friendswood off Hope Village Rd. behind Clear Brook HS. Our lease won't be up till summer 2020. I work in Galveston. The drive isn't that bad since I'm going against the traffic into Houston. All the construction on I-45 isn't fun but what can I do. I believe every interstate in House is under construction. It's like it will never end.

My kids are in CCISD. They like it. It's a huge difference between the size of NOLA and Houston. It takes me and hr to get from Houston to Houston. I love telling that joke.

The big shock here is the cost of property taxes. They are crazy. It greatly reduces my budget. From where we moved from, a $400,000 house would have a tax of about $3000/yr. We've been looking at houses in Pearland, Clear Lake, and League City. I really like Clear Lake. I know I won't be able to get a new build but I'm hoping to find one that's been remodeled for a good price. I believe the neighborhood is called Bay Knoll.

We've looked in LC off of 96 and South Shore. The issue there is the $10k tax bill that comes with a new build. I've also looked at some areas in Friendswood off 518 and 528. Friendswood seems to have a smaller feel to it. We are an AA family. Some people have told me that I wouldn't be welcomed in Friendswood but I haven't had any issues. I don't want to go way down to Alvin and Santa Fe. Even though I work on the island, I want to be closer to Houston to enjoy what it has to offer.

I'm also not fund of TC or La Marque. I just didn't like them. They are building that huge development off I-45 called Largo Mar. However, the taxes are over 4.01%. I've had co-workers look in there. And it's still zoned to Dickinson ISD. I will say that DISD isn't that bad. I've researched it and visited some of the schools. They just opened up a new 9th Grade school. It seems like CCISD is just so big.

Well, that's all for my update.

Last edited by tewest86; 12-09-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM

24 posts, read 18,006 times
If you look on the east side of 45, using HWY 146 is a good alternative to 45. From my house in the far east side of LC to the causeway is about the same if I go 45 or 146.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 AM

38 posts, read 45,497 times
You mention the higher property taxes compared to LA, but when you factor in the combination of no state tax in TX you will end up better off paying just the higher property tax.

I am originally from LA and have lived in both states on and off for the last 15 years. We lived in central LA for about three years and ended up back in Katy in 2014. I ran the numbers and we were paying quite a bit more in LA for state tax and property tax. But this all depends on tax brackets, age of neighborhoods, MUD taxes, etc.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 PM

I started this thread over a year ago. Man, time flies. I guess I'll give my final update. We ended up closing on a house last week in Clear Lake. We are in one of the Bays. I forget. It's an older home but it has been update with all the big ticket items replaced (i.e. windows, roof, flooring, HVAC, lights, bathroom, etc. ). I'm happy about the purchase. Once again, this site was helpful.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:22 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I started this thread over a year ago. Man, time flies. I guess I'll give my final update. We ended up closing on a house last week in Clear Lake. We are in one of the Bays. I forget. It's an older home but it has been update with all the big ticket items replaced (i.e. windows, roof, flooring, HVAC, lights, bathroom, etc. ). I'm happy about the purchase. Once again, this site was helpful.
As someone who's spent an extremely substantial amount of time in both, I'm here to tell you, despite all the hype that some Houstonians tell you about Louisiana culture here, it is in no way shape or form the same. I'm telling you at one point I heard someone call Houston part of a "Western end of Louisiana" and that's how you know they never lived there. Now, are certain aspects influenced? Sure, but in no way are they the same. They'll tell you "oh but try the boudin at this restaurant" or "that étouffée at that place". Neither me or any of my friends who lived in Louisiana found it similar. Just seems they're scared here to add enough fat or seasoning. Then they'll speak about zydeco events that sometimes take place here, but they don't realize in Louisiana, its the norm. In Houston, you have to go to events of that type. Personally, being of Venezuelan origin, I find the Venezuelan food in Houston to taste more similar to the food back home than cajun or creole food in Houston tastes to Louisiana.

This doesn't mean someone from Louisiana can't feel at home here. Houston is a welcoming city, you just have to adjust to the differences you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston