Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,990 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the hiring process with the Tx Highway Patrol. They are asking him what area of Houston he would like to live in, and he's looking at me for answers. We are on the Mississippi Gulf Coast right now. Basically, since we are about to have our 4th child, schools and good family neighborhoods are our primary concern. I've read good things about Sugar Land, but right now our price range is on the low side (140's or maybe a little more) as I will be staying at home for a while while I work on my masters degree. Also, I've read that there are some 'bad' areas in Katy and Sugar Land. I just don't know how to search on HAR.com to avoid these areas. When searching around Spring, I just put in Klein for the school systems as I read that it was good. But does that town also have 'bad areas', as it seems we could get a lot for our money there..

Thanks in advance for your help,
Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
140-150 will only get you so far. I know you can get into good schools and neighborhoods for that price, but I don't know about the top ones. In Katy for instance, I think the top 2 high schools (Katy Taylor and Cinco Ranch) are south of I-10. Maybe 150 could get you into Taylor, I'm not sure. It could definitely get you into Katy High, north of I-10, which is a good school that tends to have great football teams, but not academically rated as high as Taylor or Cinco Ranch. Sugar Land has a lot of different high schools, but I think Clements rates the highest. Spring I believe is cut into 2 districts. Basically you have to do your homework and make sure you are in the boundary of a good high school. Another area you might consider is Deer Park, which has good neighborhoods and schools in that price range.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
Klein is an excellent choice . We have homes in your price range in good neighborhoods zoned to excellent schools. Most of the area is great. There is alot for families here as well such as a library,police station, park, churches, and we have another 70 acre park and preserve coming up in Vintage Park, which is an upscale shopping area that will include a hospital and hotel. there are restaraunts, child oriented play places such as Kidtown etc. I think you would be happy here. Some neighborhoods to consider in the 150's up would be- Memorial Springs, Champion Springs(which is where I live), Memorial Northwest, Colony Creek, Majestic Oaks, and you may find smaller homes in Gleannloch Farms.
This is just a start off hand. We are also close to Walmart, Old Navy, Petco, Ross, and other similar stores to shop at and 20m minutes from THe Woodlands Mall and all that The Woodlands has to offer.
Good luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,541 times
If you are looking in Sugar Land...
search on HAR.COM put in zip code 77479 & school district: Fort Bend, and then Sort from ascending. Hopefully you see something in your price range. New Territory, and Settlers Way are both nice areas, but they maybe a bit north of your range. Never know, there maybe a foreclosure in those areas.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 AM

299 posts, read 1,016,318 times
I'd stick to spring for that price range. Maybe even live on the south side of the woodlands (77380). There are some homes in the grogan's mill village built in the 80's that would fall in the range and accomodate a family of six. (I grew up in one). Schools in that area are also good.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,990 times
How about the neighborhoods in the Klein district called, "Fountainhead", "Cypresswood", "Memorial Chase", "Cutten Green", or "Candlelight Hills"? Are any of these bad neighborhoods? I just don't want to think I'm looking at a decent affordable area, if I'm looking at houses that are in a down part of town. I won't really be able to get to a town to look around till hubby is already committed to an area. So this board and HAR is all I really have to go on. Can someone talk to me about the cost of electricity? How about water costs in that area? Is it a fixed rate, or by the gallon? Thank you so much for your responses so far!
Julie
ETA: I don't mind moving into an older home that needs some updating (70's or 80's) if it's priced right. I'd rather sacrifice 'newness' for trees, and mature neighborhoods. Most of the homes I am interested in fall into that category. Are those homes usually in ok neighborhoods, or bad ones?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
Memorial Chase, Cypresswood and Candlelight hills are all good neighborhoods. I don't like cutten green and I don't know fountain..
I used to live in Memorial Chase for 9 years. Candlelight hills is very pretty and my favorite of the above.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPowell View Post
How about the neighborhoods in the Klein district called, "Fountainhead", "Cypresswood", "Memorial Chase", "Cutten Green", or "Candlelight Hills"? Are any of these bad neighborhoods? I just don't want to think I'm looking at a decent affordable area, if I'm looking at houses that are in a down part of town. ETA: I don't mind moving into an older home that needs some updating (70's or 80's) if it's priced right. I'd rather sacrifice 'newness' for trees, and mature neighborhoods. Most of the homes I am interested in fall into that category. Are those homes usually in ok neighborhoods, or bad ones?
Good morning JK... for Spring plug in area 13...it would be best to stay in the box.... Cypresswood or further north, Kuykendahl to FM 249. The following would be good choices in your price range , 4 bedroom, 2000+ sq. ft.....Oakwood Glen, Memorial Chase, Colony Creek, Cypresswood, Prestonwood Forest, Candlelight Hills, Spring Creek Forest (larger lots), Terra Nova or Terranova West (going least $ to most $$). Also look at Londonderry....Best of Luck...Sunny

Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times
We used to live in Wimbledon Estates on the corner of Louetta and Stuebner Airline. Very close to Mittlestadt Elem -which is a great elem., and the home prices are sometimes in your range. 2700 sq ft, 11,000 sq ft lot and mayeb even a cu-de-sac!

I wish you guys luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,086 times
I agree with most of the posters here. Klein / Champion / Spring. Look along Cypresswood Drive from Kuykendahl to FM 249. I don't care for Katy or for Sugarland. There are nice developments there but they feel like barred in islands. Pretty much the whole Champion area feels nice.

The Woodlands and Kingwood are great but houses there are higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston