Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

I am a native Houstonian- besides the college years I've lived in various parts of the city and suburbs. I left to Pennsylvania due to career reasons. Not in the "East coast corridor" part but there are many similarities you mention. I can't disagree with you on most points, although it sounds like you could've chosen a better part of Houston to live to be honest. I have maintained my Houston residence since leaving and will be coming back home eventually, in spite of its warts. It would be great to have a 2nd residence in PA for 4-5 months of the year to escape the Houston heat and take advantage of all the outdoor opportunities in all of the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM

174 posts, read 157,257 times
I bet people can do different outdoors if they want to, regardless of the location. For the last 10 years close to Houston, I swim everyday for 7 month a year and sauna everyday for the rest 5 month. So don't blame nature for your own laziness.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM

170 posts, read 194,290 times
I loved growing up in Houston. I had a horse and a surfboard, what more could a 16 yo girl ask for? We would roam the city without a care in the world. I moved away due to marriage and moved back 20 years later. I cannot wait for retirement for one reason only: the crime is out of control and the criminals are everywhere. I live on the most beautiful street you can imagine, on a huge shady lot, on the edge of town. Last night the cops were ringing my doorbell at 4 AM because they caught someone cashing checks they had stolen out of my mailbox. Trivial? In comparison to murder, gangs, human trafficking, drugs, robberies, carjackings, road rage killings, burglaries? Of course it's trivial. But I don't want to live like this. There are places where you can live and not be constantly looking over your shoulder. And I know where they are. Freedom to roam the city and not be in danger is long gone. For me, it is crime, pure and simple.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Checks? Is this a post from 1992? Who uses paper checks?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM

170 posts, read 194,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Checks? Is this a post from 1992? Who uses paper checks?
You know those balance transfer checks the credit card companies send EVERY DAY.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 45,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
I loved growing up in Houston. I had a horse and a surfboard, what more could a 16 yo girl ask for? We would roam the city without a care in the world. I moved away due to marriage and moved back 20 years later. I cannot wait for retirement for one reason only: the crime is out of control and the criminals are everywhere. I live on the most beautiful street you can imagine, on a huge shady lot, on the edge of town. Last night the cops were ringing my doorbell at 4 AM because they caught someone cashing checks they had stolen out of my mailbox. Trivial? In comparison to murder, gangs, human trafficking, drugs, robberies, carjackings, road rage killings, burglaries? Of course it's trivial. But I don't want to live like this. There are places where you can live and not be constantly looking over your shoulder. And I know where they are. Freedom to roam the city and not be in danger is long gone. For me, it is crime, pure and simple.
hmmmm where would that be?? Care to share?

Old 07-11-2019, 12:08 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
Houston always was a high-crime place. The suburbs where you live also had crime, it's just that no one discussed it. The violent crime rate in the area is way way lower than it was decades ago. Are you only now becoming aware of criminal activity, especially in the suburbs? I hate to say this, but you sound like you were ultra-naive.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM

509 posts, read 735,940 times
I'm glad the OP is gone and I hope everyone who thinks like him leaves as well.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
One of those 'love it or leave it' types? I think Houston can do with fewer of these.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:33 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,081,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post

I don't think the OP was talking to people who have an unquestioning acceptance of all that is Houston.

Like the OP I also don't like the lack of accessible parks/sidewalks, unfettered growth, lack of aesthetic beauty, and politics - although I disagree about cultural lag as I see it more as cultural differences not lag.

While I may miss Houston at times, I will not miss the "my way or the highway" attitude that so many people have in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston