Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,262 times

Advertisements

First off, this isn't meant as an implicit criticism of anyone from Houston or of people who currently live there. It's just a means to to explain why my wife and I left, and hear why other people did, and maybe from these connections...just maybe...others who do not live here can decide whether they should or should not move to Houston.

* There is an implicit NE bias in this (stop reading if this concerns you!)

My wife and I lived in Houston for 4 years--Uptown/Galleria area. Here are the reasons we left (in no particular order):

1. lack of accessible parks/sidewalks

We lived in 2 different locations near Westheimer (main drag West of Downtown), both of which were far enough from Memorial Park (nicest large park nearby) and other nice parks that it wasn't worth it to take the time to go (especially in traffic). We had some sidewalks nearby, but our apartment was located near major roads, and it never felt safe to go on long walks, nor desirable (factor weather into this). It also made us more unhealthy in the long run, as we could not take advantage of safe bike rides or nice walks.

2. unfettered growth

As we came from the NE, this is what strikes someone immediately about Houston, and I suppose our dislike of it never wore off. This is the sunbelt city, bar none--strip malls radiate out from the center for miles and miles, sometimes seeming like it will never end. I thought maybe it was a TX thing, until we traveled to Austin and San Antonio, which both felt far more "manageable." The worst of it was heading West on I-10 and NW to Brenham, but I imagine it was the same along the other highways.

3. lack of aesthetic beauty

This ties in from the last point, but takes into account the physical geography, too. Unfettered growth and lack of zoning never make for great beauty, of which Houston has very little (apart from the glittering downtown--which is a ghost town). Houston also sits on the Gulf Plain, which is, as the name indicates--incredibly flat. We loved heading West from Houston as the scenery would become more rolling, or even East, to Galveston, but the city itself felt really boring on the eyes due to this. We aren't from the Mountain West, so we didn't have high expectations, but this was incredibly bland and depressing after some time.

4. politics

This is to be expected for anyone in the NE...you prolly know going in. TX is very conservative. Houston is not so much...moderately liberal, in fact, but Houston doesn't govern the State, and the State frustrates most attempts at state-wide reform. We felt like if we ever fell through the cracks, God forbid, we would be left destitute. With Trump's reelection (unforeseen) and that of Cruz, we didn't want to wait for the state to turn "purple." It was just easier and safer to get out.

5. cultural lag

This, again, is directed primarily towards those coming from the NE. From what I know of the Sunbelt between LA and Florida, there is a dearth of culture. The good thing is that Houston is probably one of the brightest spots in this geographic zone. It has a plethora of museums and day-trips outside the city can keep one busy for 2-3 years. But compared to Boston or Philly (where we come from), it doesn't even come close. Some things, like flea markets, mean something completely different, and "historic areas" of the city seem minuscule compared to the Original 13 (as would be expected). Also, many people are simply less used to what "culture" means. When we asked what we would find in the neighborhood of cultural interest that we would be moving to, we were told, "Oh, you have the Galleria Mall!"

In sum, we ultimately felt like Houston, and probably other Sunbelt cities, was not the right place for us. We met some great people in Houston--certainly the diversity is unmatched. This is what America will...and should...look like, from the stand point of demography in 25 years. But I did not want to raise my child in such a large urban environment, especially where "consumption" is the order of the day. Maybe my ideal America does not exist, but I did not believe it had to be the "Houston" model.

Best of luck to those deciding to stay or leave!

But why did YOU decide to leave ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
I don't think you're overly critical. A bit biased to your own interests, but that's totally expected, and if anything I applaud you for your honesty and ability to back it up by leaving.

Houston is a big, flat, western, new, expanding city. Full stop. There aren't 200 year old neighborhoods, because barely 100 years ago it was a mud pond with wood shacks. That's found pretty much everywhere west of the Appalachians.

We moved here over a decade ago, and have embraced it as much as we can, and can say it's home. Proudly. It's hot, it's uncomfortable at times. Traffic is nightmarish and a requirement at the same time. The food scene stands comfortably among the best in the world. The people are amazing, diverse, and for the most part open minded and welcoming. The city is entrepreneurial in a way that Philly or Boston could never be, and all ideas, even horribly tragic ones are given an opportunity to blossom.

As far as politics go, I think we're living the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" and boy, Texas and Houston are riding the crest of the interesting wave in US politics going into the mid-21st century.

Best of luck with your choices. For every one that leaves, it seems more are taking the opportunity to embrace the city and give it a chance.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,494,183 times
Yea if your not interested in watching the city grow and develop Houston may not be for you. Houston is still a work in progress and not a finished product like Boston or Philly.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
2, 3 & 4 are pretty much spot on.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM

702 posts, read 1,235,610 times
Left Houston because there aren't enough gun owners and because the Woodlands started to become ghetto.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
2, 3 & 4 are pretty much spot on.
2-growth-means opportunity
3-beauty-there are lots of nice parts of Houston. Yeah, No ocean view. No mountain view, but lots of neighborhoods I enjoy going through. West U., River Oaks, Memorial, The Woodlands.
4-Yes, if you are from MA, you aren't going to like the politics, but the nice thing is that it doesn't impact you with a laissez-faire government. As for falling through the cracks, Houstonians are very generous and volunteer in large numbers. See Harvey. See Katrina. And what is great about the politics is the can-do attitude. They try to fix problems. Cities around the country are copying what Houston did to work on veteran homelessness. Same with Houston's bus route optimization.

as for #1, duh, they lived near the Galleria. Its kind of the last place they would want to live if they want parks and sidewalks.

OP sounds like a glass half empty kind of guy.

Seriously, home is home and his home is clearly the NE. Its what he's used to. To each his own.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 PM

174 posts, read 156,941 times
Just came out today: America's Top States for Business in 2019 https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/amer...ness-2019.html

So left where is not as important as went where. Unless you moved to Virginia, the chance you have a better life anywhere else is very slim.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Just out of curiosity where did you end up?

1. You know there are numerous apartments walking distance from Memorial Park?? If that was your number 1 priority you could have planned a bit better.

2. This is an exaggeration about sprawl all the way to Brenham. In fact, the sprawl pretty much ends in Katy... then you get to Brookshire which has a little bit of development... past Brookshire there is nothing but rural ranch land. I know because I drive this route every weekend.

For the rest it's a matter of opinion, but good feedback and I applaud your decision to leave. Life is too short to be miserable over something you can change!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 PM

174 posts, read 156,941 times
If he/she is still here, trust me, he/she misses Houston already!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:33 PM

432 posts, read 523,147 times
I grew up in Houston, retired to San Antonio.
Traffic, inadequate roads, and weather sent me packing. At almost six years in SA, the traffic and roads here are starting to remind me of the old Houston days.

I do miss the ability to grow great grass that Houston has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston