Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 05:14 PM

219 posts, read 226,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on that too. Like safer than some other states like Sinaloa and Guerrero... where mind-bogglingly sad/violent things have happened. But.. not on the same level of safety as many other Mexican cities including Merida, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Oaxaca... etc.

But yet it's just sort of on my radar the more I hear and see about it even going beyond natural beauty. And it's proximity to the US makes me feel a sense of kinship with it somehow.. similar to what I felt with Toronto growing up in Cleveland, and sort of do now with Havana living in Tampa Bay. I mean... it's only 90 miles from city limits to our border which is like closer than Key West and Havana. I feel like if I lived in Texas I would feel an even stronger desire to get there and perhaps see whether there is almost some sister city relationship with some TX cities on some levels.. almost like the 5th Big Texas metro lol (though I guess to be fair, El Paso/Juarez could already claim that mantle being at a comparable metro size to Austin and San Antonio when combined. Anyways... I digress. And will probably just stick with other places for now. I've just always felt a curiosity there that's all.
Back in 2005, I drove my car from Austin to Monterrey. Monterrey definitely has a lot in common with the Valley in south Texas, but it’s like light and day compared to Houston / Gulf Coast region.

Mexico City is one of my favorite places to visit within a 90-minute flight of Houston. Fantastic city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 08:32 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Why has re-paving in Montrose been such a problem?
Mayor Parker just had other priorities. Turner doesn't seem to have changed much. When I was commenting on it to a friend of mine who lives in the Montrose, she said, "You would think as much support as she got here, she wouldn't forget the Montrose!" <Parker was gay and Montrose has historically had the heaviest concentration of gay Houstonians>.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's nice thoughts! It was a great weekend. Yeah-that generally is my goal anytime I visit a place. I guess the more places I go, the more I become aware that each place has it's own unique qualities and offerings. I'm aware of the differences. But I'm not going to use differences of one place vs. another. For instance, I think I may try to have us do San Antonio (maybe combined with Corpus Christi and/or Austin to see family-I'm even curious enough to see Laredo maybe-I find border towns fascinating) for 3-5 days for our anniversary this coming Jan. I'm quite aware there are things that those places both have and don't have compared to Houston. But-it is what it is, I feel like we will find ways to enjoy ourselves in any case.
Years ago I used to travel to Laredo for work. I’ve never been to a place in Texas that gets hotter than Laredo. It seems to have its own little microclimate. We would stay at La Posada Hotel which is right on the Mexican border. I did like that hotel because of its Mexican courtyard style and the Saltillo tile throughout. It might be nice for an overnight stay. https://www.laposada.com/gallery

In my opinion all the border towns have lost their charm since the Mexican drug cartel wars began several years ago. If I wanted to experience Mexico I would fly to Guadalajara or Mexico City. I haven’t been to Mexico City in years but Guadalajara has some nice areas and the food choices are wonderful there.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:08 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
I've read that Queretaro is the nicest and safest of Mexico's big cities. Maybe others have more knowledge about that. It does have direct flights from Houston and also is one of the main gateways to the San Miguel / Guanajuato area that is very popular with U.S. and Canadian visitors.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Mexico City is to me one of the most dynamic cities on the planet. In terms of the stunning combination of history, modernity, and sheer quantity and quality of things to see, I put it in a Global Top 3, with London, and Beijing (yes. I know that my tastes are probably off the norm lol. But flaws aside-Beijing is remarkable on so so many levels, as is Mexico City.)

Not to get us too off topic. But that's good to know on Queretaro from Houston-thanks, I might look into that connection, given that Queretaro itself might be worth seeing, and also the easy access from there to Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
While you are at it I would throw in Merida in the Yucatan, safest city in Mexico by far, and growing expat population. Check it out.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM
bu2

Quote:
Mexico City is to me one of the most dynamic cities on the planet. In terms of the stunning combination of history, modernity, and sheer quantity and quality of things to see, I put it in a Global Top 3, with London, and Beijing (yes. I know that my tastes are probably off the norm lol. But flaws aside-Beijing is remarkable on so so many levels, as is Mexico City.)

Not to get us too off topic. But that's good to know on Queretaro from Houston-thanks, I might look into that connection, given that Queretaro itself might be worth seeing, and also the easy access from there to Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.
Well since you seem to be fond of horrible pollution, while Houston ranks low on most pollution measures, it is the worst US city outside California cities on ozone!

Old 03-11-2020, 03:22 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Lol! So I can't say I love horrible pollution ; ) But, I feel like maybe there is something about the nature of an industrial city (past or present really) that draws me to it though. I guess that's not a huge surprise. But, I'll still say, Beijing was in a different stratosphere on that and unlike anything I've experienced in that regard. It wasn't ideal, but I still loved it. But, I could see where the levels there and in certain other global cities would be very offputting. However, I don't think (at least for my senses), there is any US city that goes nearly to that level. However, I can't even imagine what say, New Delhi is like though, given that data suggests it's significantly more intense even than Beijing in that regard. My kinda town, I guess hahaha.

Also... London/Paris trip is out. Due to a frank discussion spouse and I had about unique risks for us at present time. Both of us are pretty crushed I won't lie.. but what's done is done. For now, trying (and having difficulty) with recouping funds spent on flights, hotel, etc.. and trying to plan a backup driving trip for a few days around the southeast (Savannah, Atlanta, Asheville, etc.)

Old 03-11-2020, 06:06 PM
bu2

Quote:
Lol! So I can't say I love horrible pollution ; ) But, I feel like maybe there is something about the nature of an industrial city (past or present really) that draws me to it though. I guess that's not a huge surprise. But, I'll still say, Beijing was in a different stratosphere on that and unlike anything I've experienced in that regard. It wasn't ideal, but I still loved it. But, I could see where the levels there and in certain other global cities would be very offputting. However, I don't think (at least for my senses), there is any US city that goes nearly to that level. However, I can't even imagine what say, New Delhi is like though, given that data suggests it's significantly more intense even than Beijing in that regard. My kinda town, I guess hahaha.

Also... London/Paris trip is out. Due to a frank discussion spouse and I had about unique risks for us at present time. Both of us are pretty crushed I won't lie.. but what's done is done. For now, trying (and having difficulty) with recouping funds spent on flights, hotel, etc.. and trying to plan a backup driving trip for a few days around the southeast (Savannah, Atlanta, Asheville, etc.)
I was in Beijing for 3 days before I realized it was surrounded by mountains. Horrible, horrible pollution. I stayed 4 days and probably would have gotten sick if I had stayed much longer. I haven't been to Mexico City, but understand it is awful.

Unleaded gasoline/catalytic converters has made a huge difference in America since the late 70s. Houston used to have a black ring form around downtown by 8:30 or so and it would last until about 10. But by the mid-80s that was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston