Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am thinking about moving to the Houston area and I could use some help on where to live. I live in the suburbs of Detroit now, on a lake front property, with about a 45 minute commute to work. The water is important to us as we love jet skiing, boating and tubing ect. We are Caucasian, in our early 30's, and I am an electrical engineer who will need to find a job when I move there so I assume I will probably have to commute to Houston for my job. We are also thinking about starting a family so I would like some help on a safe place to live, on the water, with great schools and not a terrible commute. Furthermore, if anyone has any possible leads for a electrical engineer (BSEE) with 5 years experience with General Motors Corp, that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times
Well, it's quite a commute, but thousands of people do it everyday......Conroe to Houston on I 45. just so they can live on the Lake. Conroe is a super nice place.......beautiful large lake around some of the area, older "town" area. You are looking at about 1 1/2 hr. each way. Conroe is N. of the City. I think you will find employment in your field. Now, if you head south of the city, there is Clear Lake and Kehma. Google them and see what you think. Good luck. You'll LOVE being a Texan the minute you land. P. S. I'm a YUPPER.

Last edited by Esky; 04-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,641 times
You will find a nice lake/area on Lake Conroe and Montgomery ISD is one of the better school districts but if you want all this and want/have to work in Houston you can expect to spend about 2 1/2 hours a day on the freeway. My sister in law and one of our friends makes this trip everyday, best case scenario is 55 min one way, if there's a wreck add another 30 min to that... See if you can find a job in Conroe, The Woodlands or Spring and it would be much better...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Commute from Lake Conroe? Every day?

Yes, I know people do it, but that is insanity to me, especially with gas prices. That has got to be a minimum 1.5 hours each way on a good day.

Clear Lake is much closer. Plus you would also be closer to Galveston as well.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,026 times
I agree with modster. Clear Lake and maybe Lake Houston would be closer. Are you planning to bring your boat and leave it at the dock or in the garage?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
Well if possible I would like to keep the boat/jetskis in the water docked and not have to haul them and trailer them everytime.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM

151 posts, read 641,261 times
I agree with them also. Welcome to Houston!! You'll love it here, I'm from Michigan too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
I agree with modster. Clear Lake and maybe Lake Houston would be closer.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 AM

214 posts, read 725,251 times
I'm moving down from Michigan at the end of the year...I've been to Houston a few times now and let me put into perspective what Conroe to Houston would be like...

Monroe to Clarkston? lol

Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 45,097 times
Might I suggest El Lago, Nassau Bay or Seabrook, which are older waterfront/lakeside communities southeast of Houston (by Clear Lake). Taylor Lake Village is also nice.

I'm originally from the Midland area and have been here eight years. HOT HOT HOT in the summer, but wonderful from Oct to May. Southern hospitality mirrors the Midwest somewhat. Welcome!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
I agree about the Southern hospitality mirroring the Midwest, if not even friendlier. Originally from St. Louis, MO myself....

GO CARDS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston