Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 AM

148 posts, read 389,573 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

I am visiting Houston the last week of May for testing for the Houston Police Dept. I currently work in finance in NYC, but it is time for a career change. NYPD pay is horrible so my fiance and I decided to look at other major cities and we chose Houston. She also works in finance and has a very impressive resume so she should not have any trouble finding a decent job.

I grew up and lived in the northest my entire life. Hometown is New Haven and graduated UConn in 2003. I then moved to NYC and loved every minute of it, but it's time for a new chapter in my life. I have a few questions for you all so hopefully you can help me.

1) My testing location is 1200 Travis Street (downtown) any hotel recommedations nearby? HPD recommended the Courtyard, but they are slightly more than I would like to spend.

2) How are the winters in Houston? What are high temps Dec-March?

3) Where is a good scene for nightlife? Are there cool areas for bar hopping and bunch of restaurants close together?

4) How are communtiy relations with HPD? Are they well respected? I am a people person and I am interested in law enforcement to help people and be involved in public service. Not to have power trip and abuse authority. I am hoping Houston PD represents my values.

5) Is Houston a liberal city or more representative of the heartland? Does it have a decent music scene?

6) How are the beaches nearby and are there any mountians and lakes in driving distance for hiking/fishing?

7) How is the crime rate in Houston? Do feel safe walking around downtown, your neighborhood etc...

I thank for in advance for any input you can offer.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
2) High temps in the winter range from about 50-80 with an avg of 65. 20 degrees lower than that for low temps. In March, 90's are rare but not at all unheard of.

5) Houston is pretty 50/50 on liberal/conservative. Libertarian - live & let live is a pretty good way to describe it IMO. Republican leaning mainly due to money (not social) issues.

6) Beaches are in Galveston about 50 miles southeast of downtown and they are nothing to write home about. The sand is clean- machines turn it daily, but the water is brown due to the soil proprties and shallowness of the water. It's not an ocean anyway, it's a gulf.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Winters- We have very mild winters. We usually range in the high 50-60s with 3 or 4 day snaps of lows in the 30's. But it's not uncommon to be sweating in the 80's while putting up Christmas lights.

Nightlife-Midtown and Uptown are great places that are clean and safe for nightlife. In general though, Houston is laid back and most couples party at backyard BBQs.

Relations-I think it all depends on the neighborhood. You get assigned to Fondrew SW, they aren't going to be cheering and happy to see you. However, in our neighborhood we give HPD cookies at Christmas and wave a them all the time.In general though, Houstonians are VERY happy to see more officers come onto the force.

Liberal?- eh, it's a pretty conservative town, yet it's very international and extremely tolerant to everything. Laid back, remember?

Music-well not really. Austin is more known for that.

Beaches- Galveston is just shy of an ok beach, but it will work in a pinch. Lots of lakes around to fish though.

Safe-Once again depends on your neighborhood. I feel extremely safe running at night. The constables office and HPD, along with our private patrol, have a very good working relationship in Uptown Houston and the Memorial Villages. Houston is a big city with big city pangs, but over all I think what goes on here is more nuisance crime (car theft/burglaries, burglary, DUI) than anything. There are BAD areas where the jerks are killing EACH OTHER, but residents avoid them if they can afford too. Unfortunately the police can't. Fondren SW/Sharpstown areas would be the biggie.

Here's a great site to see the crime data and where the little thugs hang out.
Houston Crime Maps

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-02-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 AM

293 posts, read 909,865 times
You will find that Houston is a very laid back city. Unlike some places, people tend to be polite to strangers. And unlike some places, welcoming to newcomers. Sounds like you will fit in very well.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Go into History and Almanac and you can answer lots of questions about the weather.

Houston, Texas (77001) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston