Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Houston is not pretentious enough to CA elite. XOM’s top brass is fine in Dallas. The rank and file can live in “lowly” Houston lol.
I think heads of most funtions are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 09:47 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Dallas guy here and it must be noted that Houston has done better recruiting relos the last year or two than in the past.

Every time I read similar threads I get a belly laugh from the implication that restaurant types and quality in DFW are lame compared to Houston....Houston clobbers DFW in terms of cultural amenities and similarly Houston clobbers DFW in medicine as if DFW has poor docs, no medical research yielding more sick people and we are hungry and uncultured too.

The truth of the matter is any differences in these areas are trivial in fact, matters of opinion or simply don't matter much or at all to company relocation decision makers.

Here are some things that do matter.
1. Houston suffers significantly higher property crime rates and violent crime rates than Dallas. Further, many of Dallas' most important suburbs have very low violent crime rates - read Plano, Allen, Prosper etc. and Southlake, Westlake etc. ranging towards Fort Worth.
2. It's easier to get around DFW by car than Metro-Houston.
2.1. It's much easier to drive from key bedroom communities with outstanding schools into downtown Dallas than the same in Houston.
2.2. It's taken decades but a number of areas south of downtown Dallas are improving. There have always been awesome neighborhoods south of DTD like Kessler Park and The Colorado Blvd. areas in Oak cliff but currently more modest neighborhoods are improving. This gives corporate relocation workers more close in areas to live relative to DTD.
3. The weak/no-zoning angle is a problem for Houston.
4. The really rough neighborhoods around Hobby are a problem.
5. DFW + Love + Addison + Alliance (the business development around Alliance is just amazing) etc. > Hobby + Bush + Spaceport etc.
6. DFW is something of a model of large metro diversification, Houston less so.
7. DISD > HISD.
8. Cowboys + Mavs + Rangers + Stars + FC Dallas + Texas Motor Speedway etc. > Texans + Rockets + sign stealing Astros + Dynamo etc.
9. A couple people upthread mentioned this factor, Dallas just shows better than Houston to outsiders.

I really like both cities, DFW and Metro-Houston are the 1 and 2 GDP producers in the south each way ahead of Atlanta at 3. To me Houston has a fun vibe that I don't quite feel in Dallas. But Dallas has a comfortable family thing with more close in upscale neighborhoods that we prefer. IMO relocation types feel that too.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:17 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
8. Cowboys + Mavs + Rangers + Stars + FC Dallas + Texas Motor Speedway etc. > Texans + Rockets + sign stealing Astros + Dynamo etc.
This is debatable. The Cowboys and Stars are obviously superior because Cowboys are one of the 2 most powerful NFL teams and Stars are the only NHL team in Texas. The Cowboys are God awful just like the Texans, but atleast they have lots of fans who support through missery (which works in favor of the Cowboys in the end).

Outside of this, the story is completely different. Most obviously, the Rockets are a far more popular team than the mavs. And as if this matters, even in a year of losing Harden, the Rockets still wind up having a better year than the Mavs.

Of course, the sign stealing makes its case. And with baseball being a dying sport, such headlines are even proportionally larger in a sport that gets little airplay, one major headline sticks out. But the Rangers are comparably non existent, no one ever talks about . The height of that franchise was back to back world series choke jobs. The highlight since? The Bautista bat flip to finish the up 2-0 choke job. They're been a basic non factor and the little they are known for are historic choke jobs, and with the MLB dying down, there's no sign of this changing.

Dynamo and FC Dallas are both pretty irrelevant as far as MLS goes, but FC Dallas is much less of a thing. Their stadium being in Frisco doesn't help either. FC Austin will easily take on as the Texas team.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-07-2021 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 10:19 PM

But most importantly, if sports teams mattered, companies would be relocating Philly, Chicago and Boston. And even though Chicago used to be a relocation magnet, this has died down like crazy since the coming of the 2010s, and Chicago is behind Houston as well as Dallas these days for this. Boston and Philly haven't been a relo destination for a long time.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:

I really like both cities, DFW and Metro-Houston are the 1 and 2 GDP producers in the south each way ahead of Atlanta at 3. To me Houston has a fun vibe that I don't quite feel in Dallas. But Dallas has a comfortable family thing with more close in upscale neighborhoods that we prefer. IMO relocation types feel that too.
Also, I couldn't agree more with this paragraph. This has atleast been the case historically. Both cities are making pushes to get better in their respective department mentinoed here.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is debatable. The Cowboys and Stars are obviously superior because Cowboys are one of the 2 most powerful NFL teams and Stars are the only. The Cowboys are God awful just like the Texans, but atleast they have lots of fans who support through it (which works in favor of the Cowboys in the end).

Outside of this, the story is completely different. Most obviously, the Rockets are a far more popular team than the mavs. And as if this matters, even in a year of losing Harden, the Rockets still wind up having a better year than the Mavs.

Of course, the sign stealing makes its case. And with baseball being a dying sport, such headlines are even proportionally larger in a sport that gets little airplay, one major headline sticks out. But the Rangers are comparably non existent, no one ever talks about . The height of that franchise was back to back world series choke jobs. The highlight since? The Bautista bat flip to finish the up 2-0 choke job. They're been a basic non factor and the little they are known for are historic choke jobs, and with the MLB dying down, there's no sign of this changing.

Dynamo and FC Dallas are both pretty irrelevant as far as MLS goes, but FC Dallas is much less of a thing. Their stadium being in Frisco doesn't help either. FC Austin will easily take on as the Texas team.
You have an uncanny ability to lose sight of what people are talking about. The context is Dallas v. Houston.

But since you brought all this up.....

The MLB is not dying. It's the second most valuable sports league in the world ~20% more valuable than the NBA, almost double The English Premier League. Pre-covid MLB revenues were increasing FWIIW.

The Rangers are exactly where the Astros were several years ago.

The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world and by a good bit over The Yankees.

The Mavs are set to be excellent going forward. The team just lost 40+ (43 IIRC) man games to Covid ergo they lost like 8 of 11 games. They will be fine. There isn't a sound thinking basketball soul alive who would take the Rockets roster over the Mavs. right now. Luka is 21yo and has more triple-doubles (31) than Michael Jordan. Hardin is 31yo and has 50 and is in Brooklyn.

How exactly are the Rockets more popular than the Mavs. ratings indicate the opposite?

The Dallas Stars......well

Old 02-07-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
But most importantly, if sports teams mattered, companies would be relocating Philly, Chicago and Boston. And even though Chicago used to be a relocation magnet, this has died down like crazy since the coming of the 2010s, and Chicago is behind Houston as well as Dallas these days for this. Boston and Philly haven't been a relo destination for a long time.
Good grief. The thread is about Dallas and Houston.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
You have an uncanny ability to lose sight of what people are talking about. The context is Dallas v. Houston.

But since you brought all this up.....

The MLB is not dying. It's the second most valuable sports league in the world ~20% more valuable than the NBA, almost double The English Premier League. Pre-covid MLB revenues were increasing FWIIW.

The Rangers are exactly where the Astros were several years ago.

The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world and by a good bit over The Yankees.

The Mavs are set to be excellent going forward. The team just lost 40+ (43 IIRC) man games to Covid ergo they lost like 8 of 11 games. They will be fine. There isn't a sound thinking basketball soul alive who would take the Rockets roster over the Mavs. right now. Luka is 21yo and has more triple-doubles (31) than Michael Jordan. Hardin is 31yo and has 50 and is in Brooklyn.

How exactly are the Rockets more popular than the Mavs. ratings indicate the opposite?

The Dallas Stars......well
If you don't realize MLB is a dying league, no argument needed there. Delusion can't be fixed. I grew up on baseball, I have no reason to argue the opposite. Get back to me when Trout is spoken in the same breath as Brady and Lebron. I wish you were right, but unfortunately that's not the case here.

No they're not.

Agreed

Agreed

I'm going to take your word for it on the ratings, as I haven't looked. I also wouldn't doubt it considering Luca makes headlines and Harden is in Brooklyn. Regardless, this is only a start. Luca will no doubt increase the franchise supposing he's there for the long term. This is only a start though. The Mavs brand will have to surpass the Spurs brand before it can have the brand that the Rockets have.

Agreed

It's funny how you bring up the Cowboys value, but don't for every other team where the Dallas teams are less valued. Including the Mavs and for a good reason.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Good grief. The thread is about Dallas and Houston.
The post is about corporate relocations. You state mentions sports team mattering. That's debunked. Sway it any other way you want.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:22 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I don't know... Would you agree/disagree with this?
https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...-than-houston/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston