Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 11:03 PM

9,928 posts, read 6,634,537 times

Advertisements

The responses on here are all laughable. Up until last year, Houston hasnt been a company relocation city from California. Austin and Dallas have done it for years. Houston is just joining the party. This is why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 11:17 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,314,674 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...locations.html
But probably, still, most are moving to Austin.
https://www.investopedia.com/why-sil...-texas-5092782

Running list of companies moving to Texas:
https://decideconsulting.com/companies-moving-to-texas/

Mark Cuban said:
“Dallas is better, cheaper, more entertaining and has harder working people than anywhere in Texas!”
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...elocation.html

Other reasons are listed here:
https://www.yourhana.com/en-US/insig...ing-to-dallas/

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2021 at 11:40 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 11:27 PM

164 posts, read 364,653 times
Houston has hurricanes which scare business to move to Houston.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:32 PM

45,631 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Dallas and Austin doesn't have the Houston Ship Channel with the big oil refineries.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,570,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
DFW markets itself for corporate relocations and Houston does not. It’s that simple and the State of Texas spends a ton of its incentive dollars on DFW.

It has nothing to do with DFW being more attractive than Houston. The only thing DFW has over Houston is better suburbs. Houston has stronger cultural institutions, better food scene, proximity to the coast, diversity, Texas Medical Center, port of Houston. Don’t buy into the nonsense some people spew on CD.
This. DFW has always been about that corporate image, Houston is more laid back, we don't need to be something we're not. I want more companies to come here, but the right incentive package must be offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The responses on here are all laughable. Up until last year, Houston hasn't been a company relocation city from California. Austin and Dallas have done it for years. Houston is just joining the party. This is why
For whatever reason, city officials haven't come up with a suitable incentive package that looks good for companies to relocate here.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:56 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,180,388 times
Quote:
DFW markets itself for corporate relocations and Houston does not. It’s that simple and the State of Texas spends a ton of its incentive dollars on DFW.

It has nothing to do with DFW being more attractive than Houston. The only thing DFW has over Houston is better suburbs. Houston has stronger cultural institutions, better food scene, proximity to the coast, diversity, Texas Medical Center, port of Houston. Don’t buy into the nonsense some people spew on CD.
I don't agree with the highlighted parts, and even if Houston's really superior in some way the differences are marginal. Aside from the medical center and food scene the other items on your list might be viewed as negative by some people. The two cities are IMO very on par in terms of overall amenities, but Dallas/Fort Worth just provide a more polished experience at least for visitors. Not saying Houston doesn't deserve more relocations and more and better marketing would not make a difference, but North Texas is more attractive in some ways, even if they seem superficial.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:43 AM

9,928 posts, read 6,634,537 times
Also. Why does it matter where they’re coming from. Coming from Florida, NY, Asia and Europe is just as good. Furthermor, motte San Diego companies have set up in Houston last year than people here think.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:35 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,064,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I don't agree with the highlighted parts, and even if Houston's really superior in some way the differences are marginal. Aside from the medical center and food scene the other items on your list might be viewed as negative by some people. The two cities are IMO very on par in terms of overall amenities, but Dallas/Fort Worth just provide a more polished experience at least for visitors. Not saying Houston doesn't deserve more relocations and more and better marketing would not make a difference, but North Texas is more attractive in some ways, even if they seem superficial.
I'd agree that for a visitor DFW is a little more polished, but I'm not seeing how anyone could see the cultural institutions or food scenes between the two as equal. True cultural institutions like museums, parks, colleges, etc. Houston definitely has the edge. Food - it is very good there but they have not generated their own indigenous food scene to the extent we have here.

DFW attracts more companies because 1) they try harder and 2) they are closer to nearly everywhere in the US when compared to Houston. Theres maybe a little hurricane fear there too but I think after 2-3 years post hurricane, most people outside of the region don't remember it much anyway.

Physical differences between the two are overstated - I think Houston is the better looking of the two because it generally is much greener but there's no doubt quite a few prefer DFW's more landscaped, manicured look. I just don't think that has a thing to do with relocations tbh.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:28 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 2 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,529,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Actually DFW is still the default stand-in for extreme conservatism and evangelical/fundamentalist religiosity (the Buckle of the Bible Belt); what is wrong with red America. S.F. is the default stand-in for poor QOL (due to tech) and far-leftist public policy/PC-pretentiousness (SoCal is not that whacky!). The political extremism and activism explains why they make similar pairs.
How high were you when you wrote this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I understand that Austin has the “cool” factor and tech, but DFW is flat and butt ugly. Why can’t we get the biz?
Hate to break it to you but that’s also the opinion most people have of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'd agree that for a visitor DFW is a little more polished, but I'm not seeing how anyone could see the cultural institutions or food scenes between the two as equal. True cultural institutions like museums, parks, colleges, etc. Houston definitely has the edge. Food - it is very good there but they have not generated their own indigenous food scene to the extent we have here.

DFW attracts more companies because 1) they try harder and 2) they are closer to nearly everywhere in the US when compared to Houston. Theres maybe a little hurricane fear there too but I think after 2-3 years post hurricane, most people outside of the region don't remember it much anyway.

Physical differences between the two are overstated - I think Houston is the better looking of the two because it generally is much greener but there's no doubt quite a few prefer DFW's more landscaped, manicured look. I just don't think that has a thing to do with relocations tbh.
This is really it. Houston rested too long on oil and gas and never tried to be a corporate relocation magnet.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:41 PM

313 posts, read 282,857 times
Quote:

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston