Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 12:26 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times

Advertisements

Disappointed? Don't know if I'll use that word but no. I'll say if I hear reports next year about a possible winter storm hitting the state I'm taking my Wife and child up to East Texas due to a lack of trust for the grid system here in majority of Texas. But for me life has moved on. The sun eventually started shinning. If I didn't get a constant reminder of the dead palm trees and brown vegetation every now and then it wouldn't even cross my mind. So for me the winter storm came and went and is something I won't think about till that time get's here.

Now floods and heavy rain is something I think about quite often. Think that has more of an impact on life in Houston than the winter storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 07:32 PM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Anyone else still really disappointed/disgusted that we had such a prolonged and brutal cold snap? I know it was a month and a half ago, but still disappointed by its impact. I hope such terrible artic cold doesn't plague us again.
I would be perfectly happy with a week long "Arctic" blast - but without the drama.
I love cold weather.
Look, this week the hell already starts - 87F on Thursday - that's hot for me.
It will be long, hot summer....

Old 04-05-2021, 08:58 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would be perfectly happy with a week long "Arctic" blast - but without the drama.
I love cold weather.
Well without the drama it's pretty much impossible here.
Lessons learned already!

Old 04-06-2021, 09:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,243,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I love cold weather.
Look, this week the hell already starts - 87F on Thursday - that's hot for me.
It will be long, hot summer....
I don't mind the occasional winter cold snap at all, highs in 30s or even the occasional light frost and snow. Snow is fun. What I HATE are "hard freezes" and their impact on irrigation systems and vegetation. I really hate when it gets below 25, and especially 20 and the impact to pipes and plants gets far worse.

I dont mind it a little hot. Up to 92 I'm perfectly fine. I can tolerate up to 95, but prefer below 92. After 95 it really sucks to be outside unless in a pool or in a covered porch with a fan and cold drink.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Disappointed? Don't know if I'll use that word but no. I'll say if I hear reports next year about a possible winter storm hitting the state I'm taking my Wife and child up to East Texas due to a lack of trust for the grid system here in majority of Texas. But for me life has moved on. The sun eventually started shinning. If I didn't get a constant reminder of the dead palm trees and brown vegetation every now and then it wouldn't even cross my mind. So for me the winter storm came and went and is something I won't think about till that time get's here.

Now floods and heavy rain is something I think about quite often. Think that has more of an impact on life in Houston than the winter storm.
Depending on what part of Houston you're in, many of the "dead" palm trees are not actually dead, except for queens. Noticed many just starting to wake up this weekend with less than an inch of green poking up. If the dead fronds weren't pruned, this wouldn't be noticeable yet. I hope people give them a few more months before removing, except for the queens. Unfortunately they are toast, except maybe Galveston.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:58 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
There was outrage at first, but the top leaders quickly ran around ringing the bells of anti-immigrant, pro-guns and anti-abortion that quickly brought their voters back into the fold. My extended family here quickly shut their mouths about the grid failures and got back to their yelling about the "demonrats" wanting open borders and banning guns.

I don't know what it will take to break the stranglehold on them, but 3 days in frozen cold with no electricity or water just wasn't enough.
Some people love believing myths, fables and falsehoods, while having their politician’s elderly balls rest squarely on their chins. That form of being enslaved is like a drug to them, and it has gotten worse during the pandemic because the weekly dose of parables from their preacherman became absent when the churches closed.

You can’t fix stupid.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:40 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
There was outrage at first, but the top leaders quickly ran around ringing the bells of anti-immigrant, pro-guns and anti-abortion that quickly brought their voters back into the fold. My extended family here quickly shut their mouths about the grid failures and got back to their yelling about the "demonrats" wanting open borders and banning guns.
All government is bad .... except the God sent Texas republican government

Old 04-07-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
All government is bad .... except the God sent Texas republican government
Didn't one of them say the elderly should be willing to "sacrifice themselves for the economy" about a year ago??

Old 04-08-2021, 01:46 PM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
One thing that wasn't killed, sadly, are mosquitos. They are back....

Old 04-10-2021, 12:18 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Disappointed? Don't know if I'll use that word but no. I'll say if I hear reports next year about a possible winter storm hitting the state I'm taking my Wife and child up to East Texas due to a lack of trust for the grid system here in majority of Texas.
The Woodlands was affected by the damage when Hurricane Laura flattened Lake Charles back in August. There were periodic brownouts and calls for conservation in the far northern suburbs as Entergy due to the hurricane.

Meanwhile the Texas grid was unaffected by Hurricane Laura and the Woodlands power problems were a minor story for the majority of Houston on the TV news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston