Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,561,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Wow! 75 is a lot.
Last night I turned off the heat on a 1st floor for a night. It dropped from 69 to 59 in 10 hours.
My house is not super insulated. Sunday night probably will have to leave the heat on.

Yesterday I sprayed outdoor spigots with polyurethane foam in addition to the regular hard covers.
Usually i keep it at 72, but i do have an elderly person staying with me. You know how old people get when it comes to cold weather especially for this freeze. I'm hoping my pipes don't burst, but still concerned since we have never had it this cold for this long.(crossed fingers)

Last edited by JL; 02-14-2021 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 01:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Usually i keep it at 72, but i do have an elderly person staying with me. You know how old people get when it comes to cold weather especially for this freeze. I'm hoping my pipes don't burst, but still concerned since we have never had it this cold for this long.(crossed fingers)

You want to be able to ride out a 24 hour power outage. This is looking like a wet freeze.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
Quote:
Wow! 75 is a lot.
Last night I turned off the heat on a 1st floor for a night. It dropped from 69 to 59 in 10 hours.
My house is not super insulated. Sunday night probably will have to leave the heat on.

Yesterday I sprayed outdoor spigots with polyurethane foam in addition to the regular hard covers.

It'll drop a lot faster with a much greater temperature differential. I'm cranking it to 72-74 in case there's a power outage. Of course, there's no telling if or how long one would last.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:43 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,561,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You want to be able to ride out a 24 hour power outage. This is looking like a wet freeze.
Yep. Good point. Want to keep the house as warm as possible in case a power outage occurs which could very well happen.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:53 PM

163 posts, read 94,421 times
This winter is really kind of frustrating - so frigid for so long in the last month of true winter, for areas of the country that are as much as 50 degrees warmer than this, on average for this time. My Australian friend just moved from DC to Texas, this is her first winter here - how do I explain that this **** isn't normal! Perceptions completely skewed.

Even here in Chicago, the snowpack is obscene - I haven't seen the ground in a month. New snow just keeps piling on and piling on. The winter was extremely average until mid-January.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:06 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,537,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicinterest View Post
This winter is really kind of frustrating - so frigid for so long in the last month of true winter, for areas of the country that are as much as 50 degrees warmer than this, on average for this time. My Australian friend just moved from DC to Texas, this is her first winter here - how do I explain that this **** isn't normal! Perceptions completely skewed.

Even here in Chicago, the snowpack is obscene - I haven't seen the ground in a month. New snow just keeps piling on and piling on. The winter was extremely average until mid-January.
Well except the last week, this winter in Houston was pretty mild. This is an unexpected twist now..

Old 02-14-2021, 03:08 PM

163 posts, read 94,421 times
Quote:
Well except the last week, this winter in Houston was pretty mild. This is an unexpected twist now..
I mean, yeah, but a week of temperatures this low for Texas and parts of the US in general is extremely bizarre - parts of the south are setting centuries-old records

It's something weird with the northwestern hemisphere's arctic region - it extends to western Europe, too - Thames froze for the first time since the 1960s, tons of snow, and freezing temps

Old 02-14-2021, 03:56 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,537,505 times
I see icicles on my house already...

Old 02-14-2021, 04:16 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,042,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Yep. Good point. Want to keep the house as warm as possible in case a power outage occurs which could very well happen.
I’m lucky if my house will stay in the high 60s. Right now I have my thermostat set to 67. It is plenty warm enough.

Let’s pray there won’t be any power outages. That would be devastating for a lot of elderly people.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,573,603 times
My home is staying at 80, tops. I feel for the pubic service workers who have to work in this weather. Best advice is to stay warm & minimize travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston