Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 07:01 AM

309 posts, read 425,245 times

Advertisements

To the homeowners on this thread: Are y'all planning to make any modifications/work on your home in preparation for a future freeze like the one we just had? I realize its unlikely to ever happen again, but for the purpose of this discussion, let's assume that it will. What are some of the things that you would do in preparation?

The below are just my thoughts. Not sure how practical/cost effective this is.

1) Hire a plumber to insulate all pipes in my attic. Half the pipes in my attic aren't even accessible, which is an issue. Not sure if that's the norm.
2) Add a release valve just above the main water valve feeding the home. A lot of homes in my neighborhood had burst pipes because even those who drained their pipes didn't have a good way to drain the water that was stagnant in the main feeder line.
3) Same as above but for the pipes feeding the external faucets. The pipes were prob the single biggest source of pipe bursts in the cases that I saw.
Get a space heater to help heat the home quicker in case I need to.
4) Get some plumbing supplies and keep ready in case I need to do any repairs myself.

Any others?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 07:06 AM

332 posts, read 260,595 times
Getting a standby generator and gas range. Maybe we won't get another winter storm like this for a long time, but we certainly will experience some hurricane-induced outages over the coming years.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Getting a standby generator and gas range. Maybe we won't get another winter storm like this for a long time, but we certainly will experience some hurricane-induced outages over the coming years.
That's a really good point.
Did Centerpoint ever shut off gas to homes this time around or in past outages.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
We were pretty well prepared as my husband had wrapped the pipes in foam 6 years ago when we moved here and I insisted we buy a whole house generator 4 years ago, a decision he periodically criticized....but he won't be second guessing that one again.

The advice about a gas range is a good one. Or just buy a camping stove and a few cans of propane.

Here are the things we have on hand at all times:

1. Several cases and gallons of bottled water. Enough for our household of 4 for about 5 days.
2. Enough perishable food for 5 days.
3. A case or two of shelf stable milk (like those Horizon single serves).
4. Enough cash to buy necessities for several days.
5. Cars that get filled up with gas whenever they reach the halfway empty point.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
I have a manifold that lets me shut off (individually) water to the outside taps, sprinkler system, and inside house. But that's very uncommon, and impossible to retrofit. It was also invaluable this past week, as I shut off all water except to house.

If you can't get to all your attic pipes to insulate them, can you blow in some insulation as an alternative? I could use some more insulation in my attic, and that's what I'm thinking about doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
That's a really good point.
Did Centerpoint ever shut off gas to homes this time around or in past outages.
Natural gas kept running the entire time.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:42 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,051,551 times
Blowing in more insulation to the attic is a good idea. I just ordered a battery-operated radio; we lost power and cell service for a day and I felt really cut off.

I have a big drink dispenser that someone gave me for parties; before any storm I fill it up with water. It's enough for a couple of days and I don't have to use a bunch of plastic bottles.

A week before the storm I ordered insulated covers for all the outside faucets. they were about $5/each on Amazon. that was a good purchase. We've got camping lanterns and sleeping bags, it definitely was good to have that stuff at hand.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We were pretty well prepared as my husband had wrapped the pipes in foam 6 years ago when we moved here and I insisted we buy a whole house generator 4 years ago, a decision he periodically criticized....but he won't be second guessing that one again.

The advice about a gas range is a good one. Or just buy a camping stove and a few cans of propane.

Here are the things we have on hand at all times:

1. Several cases and gallons of bottled water. Enough for our household of 4 for about 5 days.
2. Enough perishable food for 5 days.
3. A case or two of shelf stable milk (like those Horizon single serves).
4. Enough cash to buy necessities for several days.
5. Cars that get filled up with gas whenever they reach the halfway empty point.
The whole house generator option did cross my mind. How much did it cost to get it installed? I'm guessing you were able to use it all of last week without any issues?
Also, I'm assuming that this is a natural gas generator?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:38 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default Noise...

One of our neighbors has a whole house generator, and it is convenient... for them. They do, however, make a huge amount of noise! It was so irritating to hear the drone all night, all day, non-stop. GENRAC I think is their make, and it is supposedly, a quiet version.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Good tips. My list:

1. portable generator, at least 6000kw with transfer switch. It may not run AC and eerything else at same time but if I can alternate then that would help in summer. This is an item that can pay off at any time of the year. Most of our power outages are in the summer.

2. Clean out the meter box and get the right tool to shut off. This is an item that can pay off at any time of the year. You never know when a pipe is going to go.

3. Keep stocked up on bottled water, canned foods, toilet paper, flashlights and batteries, cash, gasoline, etc. We do pretty good about this already but sometimes let things run out.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:01 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,385 times
I'll have more insulation blown in the attic, especially in the area where my pipe broke. A section of it was completely uninsulated and sitting above the batt and blown insulation.

I'll get a water meter key and turn the water off at the meter next time. And drain all of the faucets outside and inside, and turn the water heater down to pilot. I already have a generator, which worked great in keeping my refrigerator going (no food loss), but I'll probably buy a portable space heater to run as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston