Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 11:15 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,722,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's a BRT line, not rail.
That’s where light rail is headed due to the rise of self driving technology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 12:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,310,773 times
Default Ha-ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Houston has the equivalent of DART in Dallas. Our metrorail system goes all over the city, but not the suburbs.
I did not expect that from you, AcresHomes44. Come-on! 'Goes all over the city?

Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Ha-ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners9354 View Post
I’ve been living in the Dallas (Collin County) for a long time been to Houston twice it’s nice down there. To ask the question how come there’s no DART Train or Railroad in the city going to different places I know traffic sucks over there, but no train going from the urban areas to suburbs? I read a post about a plan to build a railroad that would travel from urban areas to the universities but the plan got stripped down cause some politician didn’t want to railroad coming to his rich constituents communities. Here in Dallas we got the DART Train going from Downtown to Plano and other areas.
We have a Choo-Choo train here alright. And... it is a better deal than Disney, you can pay a low price to ride, no season tickets required, though you can buy a Metro Card... I guess it's the same thing as a yearly pass!

Seriously, it is a joke. Many ride it just to take shelter form the weather, and it does not smell so nice, and some have very weird habits. And it is busy around the Medical Center, but here is the odd thing, many of those using it in the Medical Center first have to drive in from the suburbs to a parking lot near the Astrodome, then they ride it in. Yeah, very green. I wonder if some do it just to save on monthly parking fees, not because they are concerned about the environment, or convenience?

Old 03-06-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
We have a Choo-Choo train here alright. And... it is a better deal than Disney, you can pay a low price to ride, no season tickets required, though you can buy a Metro Card... I guess it's the same thing as a yearly pass!

Seriously, it is a joke. Many ride it just to take shelter form the weather, and it does not smell so nice, and some have very weird habits. And it is busy around the Medical Center, but here is the odd thing, many of those using it in the Medical Center first have to drive in from the suburbs to a parking lot near the Astrodome, then they ride it in. Yeah, very green. I wonder if some do it just to save on monthly parking fees, not because they are concerned about the environment, or convenience?
This is the most boomer, and I have seen on this website. And that’s saying a lot considering it’s a boomer site

Old 03-07-2021, 09:10 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s where light rail is headed due to the rise of self driving technology
I was in Indianapolis a few months ago and for the first time rode their BRT which is quite new and modern, and it hauls some ass. Still needs its dedicated ROW, but it works and I think that's a good model for Houston if they can ever figure out where to put it going east-west.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was in Indianapolis a few months ago and for the first time rode their BRT which is quite new and modern, and it hauls some ass. Still needs its dedicated ROW, but it works and I think that's a good model for Houston if they can ever figure out where to put it going east-west.
Its going on the Katy Freeway

Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,264,593 times
Quote:
Yes. Planned opening to coincide with Houston getting the Winter Olympics, in 2142.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:30 AM

100 posts, read 129,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes. Planned opening to coincide with Houston getting the Winter Olympics, in 2142.

LOL !!!

Old 03-07-2021, 10:52 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it.

I could pull up a bunch of old posts of mine from 2007-08 or so talking about METRO vaporware and show you why I stopped holding my breath.

And even then, if this is just going to be an express bus over I-10 in the Loop with no service to any of the neighborhoods in between Main and Post Oak, then it too falls short.

If there were any actual vision there, there would be a Boston-like Big Dig that includes an underground channel (basically a second, subterranean Buffalo Bayou) to route excess water from the Addicks/Barker reservoirs to the bay in major flood events, with some sort of rapid transit line running adjacent. It'll be costly, but not as much as the failure of that dam that'll happen one day if nothing gets done.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

I could pull up a bunch of old posts of mine from 2007-08 or so talking about METRO vaporware and show you why I stopped holding my breath.

And even then, if this is just going to be an express bus over I-10 in the Loop with no service to any of the neighborhoods in between Main and Post Oak, then it too falls short.

If there were any actual vision there, there would be a Boston-like Big Dig that includes an underground channel (basically a second, subterranean Buffalo Bayou) to route excess water from the Addicks/Barker reservoirs to the bay in major flood events, with some sort of rapid transit line running adjacent. It'll be costly, but not as much as the failure of that dam that'll happen one day if nothing gets done.
Do you also remember the planning for the widening of I-10? Before the construction began, there were a few proposals and I distinctly recall the one for rail down the middle of I-10. TX DOT and Metro came to an agreement that the freeway would be constructed in such a way that rail could be put in the middle without the need for an elevated track. In the "mean time", Metro could use the space for HOV lanes.

Do you see Metro wanting to get rid of the HOV lanes at this stage, and replace it with rail? Or do you see TX DOT eager to redo that part of the freeway again? It would be great, but cost-wise, I don't see it. I think it should have been done when they expanded I10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: