Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 08:45 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,259,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
They certainly can make it difficult for non-standard actions. Not entirely sure why car registration isn't a national thing. That would probably make EVERYTHING harder, but at least the rules would be consistent.
Some states charge significantly more for registration, like California and others where registration is more like a property tax. Texas is so much cheaper. Also, Texas allows to deduct trade in value from sales tax, while other states do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 06:59 AM

33,358 posts, read 12,671,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Some states charge significantly more for registration, like California and others where registration is more like a property tax. Texas is so much cheaper. Also, Texas allows to deduct trade in value from sales tax, while other states do not.
LOL.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,569,102 times
if title is needed to register,how do all the local car buyers register their car if the finance co holds the title,not everyone pays cash for their car?

Old 04-03-2021, 08:55 PM

814 posts, read 681,678 times
You get a title, shows a lien is on it, different color than the one the banker holds. Tax guys are happy to use the one you have.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,569,102 times
where do you get that title?

Old 04-04-2021, 06:26 PM

15,640 posts, read 7,674,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
where do you get that title?
BBank or Credit Union has always sent me the non-negotiable title in the past.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:00 PM

814 posts, read 681,678 times
Order as many dups as you want from TX DMV. Costs a few $.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^

This is correct.

I bought a new car in another state (cash) since moving to Texas (zero available in Texas re one equipment requirement).

The other state has a slightly higher tax rate than Texas, and differs not only by county but with different rates for different tiered amounts (first 5k is one percentage, and so on). The dealership knew that I lived in Texas, but charged me the local amount (I thought I was supposed to pay the local amount).

The tax office in Montgomery County told me that was wrong....that the dealer can collect it, but that they are supposed to collect the correct Texas amount.

Unless this has changed recently, the correct Texas amount for cars is the base state rate.

My understanding is that it is the base rate statewide so that an advantage isn't given to dealers in areas that don't charge the maximum allowable additional local percent (which is two percent), and so that people don't try to game a registration address that is in a flat base state rate area with no local percent added.

The Montgomery County Tax Office rep completed my paperwork and told me that I didn't owe them anything, and that I had overpaid the dealer re the dealer charging the dealership's local rate in that state. She even calculated the amount for me and told me to call the dealer and get them to refund that amount. I ended up not having to do that because when I grabbed my mail that day, there was a check in the mail from the dealership. Their accounting department caught the mistake. The 'tiering' wasn't calculated correctly, but it was only short under twenty dollars (not enough to call about and worry about following up on), so I deposited the check.
Can you tell me what all paperwork you had to take to your county office to get this done?

Old 04-10-2021, 02:32 AM

33,358 posts, read 12,671,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltJam3s View Post
Can you tell me what all paperwork you had to take to your county office to get this done?

I just handed the envelope the dealership gave me to the clerk and let her look it over. The receipt/bill of sale was in there, as well as some paperwork/notifications that may have been specific to requirement in that state (unrelated to Texas), and the temporary registration (which was for that other state) was in there. There wasn't any loan agreement, as I paid in full at the dealership (no financing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: