Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times

Advertisements

gas,solar?
I am intrigued by the solar generator,is it any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 PM

61,759 posts, read 87,217,162 times
How often you will use it? Once in a decade?

Old 03-24-2021, 11:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How often you will use it? Once in a decade?
Well, we found out our grid was crap and weather is getting freakier. If I had one, not counting the snowstorm, I would have used it during Ike and at least two periods where I lost power during a storm for several hours. So not a lot - but it sure would have been handy during the freak snowstorm - and like I said, freak seems to happen more and more.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:02 AM

61,759 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Solar generators depend on weather - gas generators are smelly, loud and need to be maintained.
Here they are compared:
https://www.renogy.com/blog/gas-gene...cost-analysis/
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/solar-...tors-one-best/

Old 03-25-2021, 05:02 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,399 times
I already have a solar generator; best investment I made because you never know. Better to have one & not need it than need one & not have it.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:14 AM

567 posts, read 1,623,200 times
I'm thinking of getting one or two small Honda generators that I can use when going camping or emergency (once every few years). I had one bigger one, but it was really noisy and used too much gasoline (5 gal per 12 hrs). Used it for 15 days at my old house during Ike.

Now, we did not lose power during Snowpocalypse last month because we're on fire station grid.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am intrigued by the solar generator,is it any good?
Do you mean solar panels? Solar battery storage?

I'm not familiar with the phrase "solar generator".

I have both. A standby generator, and a solar panel system. They are independent of each other, and serve different purposes.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:50 AM

455 posts, read 526,054 times
There are portable battery generators that supply enough juice to power a TV, electric stove, small fridge, etc. Many can be bundled with solar panels for charging or via a car adapter (for whenever your power is out). I'd certainly rather take one of these camping than a fuel generator.

But to the OP, yeah, if you want solar panels installed on your home, you better get a battery to store that power. I know someone who has solar panels but during snowpocolype, he didn't have power since i guess if you don't have a battery to store it, it just goes back into the grid. I'm not sure the specifics, but it wasn't providing power directly to his home.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
But to the OP, yeah, if you want solar panels installed on your home, you better get a battery to store that power. I know someone who has solar panels but during snowpocolype, he didn't have power since i guess if you don't have a battery to store it, it just goes back into the grid. I'm not sure the specifics, but it wasn't providing power directly to his home.
Solar is unique in how it works (sans batteries). It doesn't feed your house, it feeds your meter. I know that sounds like the same thing, but there are differences.

It sends the solar juice to your meter, which uses that juice to lower your electric draw from Centerpoint. If you are making more than you need, it sends the excess back up the line into the grid, and you get a credit for over-production. If you don't make enough, it draws the shortfall from the grid.

And here's the kicker, and what happened in the bold above: If there is no power coming thru the lines (ie, power outage, ie meter is dead), the solar cuts off, and doesn't do anything! Nothing to the house, nothing to the grid. Most people aren't aware, but without special circuitry that 99% of solar systems don't have, when you lose power, you can't use your solar either. This is to prevent feedback into a dead system, that could electrocute a linesman working on a down system.

The exception is solar/battery. If you have a battery system, the solar will feed the batteries.

Most people with solar do NOT have batteries. We don't have solar to live off the grid, we use it to lower our electric bills, and be green. I can cut my elec usage by 60-70% with my solar panels. That's good enough for me. My electric bill in the summer went from $400+ to $100.

You only need batteries if you want to use the stored solar at night, or during extended cloudiness. Or during an outage. But I have a gas generator for outages. It's much better than solar/batteries.

The average payback for solar is 7-12 years, not a bad ROI. If you add batteries, it can easily take 15-20 years. Not so good for ROI.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:28 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,526,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
I'm thinking of getting one or two small Honda generators that I can use when going camping or emergency (once every few years). I had one bigger one, but it was really noisy and used too much gasoline (5 gal per 12 hrs). Used it for 15 days at my old house during Ike.

Now, we did not lose power during Snowpocalypse last month because we're on fire station grid.
I bought a small Honda generator (EU2200i) a few years back and it's come in handy three times already when the power was out for longer than 8 hours here. I run the refrigerator on it, and can also plug in the coffee maker and some lights as well. I keep a 5 gallon can in the garage, and it was enough to last when the power was out last month (although I didn't run the generator all night long). Didn't lose any food in the fridge which was a big plus, neighbors were putting food outside to stay cold or throwing it away.

Anyways, many neighbors are looking at $10K+ now to install natural gas generators. I just don't feel the expense is worth the inconvenience personally, but everyone has different situations where it may be worth it to them. I just want to keep my fridge running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston