Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Houston in?
East Texas 2 8.00%
South Texas 3 12.00%
It’s own region/Neither/something else 20 80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 02:34 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
According to Reddit so far:

South Texas - 25
East Texas - 14
Neither/Other/Own region - 31
Great. Thats an opinion poll. Good for them.

This is a subjective topic. You cant be right or wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 02:35 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Great. Thats an opinion poll. Good for them.

This is a subjective topic. You cant be right or wrong here.
Agreed.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
I've seen some say on here that there is sort of a "downstate" dynamic when looking at Southeast Texas - both Greater Houston and Golden Triangle - in combination with East Texas. Similar to the contrast in New Orleans (and southern Louisiana in general) compared to the northern parts of that state.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:59 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
I've seen some say on here that there is sort of a "downstate" dynamic when looking at Southeast Texas - both Greater Houston and Golden Triangle - in combination with East Texas. Similar to the contrast in New Orleans (and southern Louisiana in general) compared to the northern parts of that state.
I remember that comment from an older thread. It said something like "Just because the culture is different doesn't mean it can't still be East Texas. Think of it like Upstate NY versus NYC. Houston can be "down state" East Texas as compared to the rest".

While I'll respect everyone's input, I don't agree with this. Not because I don't think Houston is isn't part of East Texas (it may or may not be). But because this could go either way in this case. It could be "Upstate South Texas". In either scenario, Houston is culturally very different from the rest of both regions. It has a little bit of both going on for it.

A better argument for it being East Texas would be topography.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:12 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This has been brought up before... but I’ve noticed some recent difference

1. These days, in day to day conversations, the Southeast Texas region seems to be specific on the Golden Triangle.

2. I wouldn’t really tie Houston with South Texas, but why do you see so many businesses here that say “South Texas...”. I.e. South Texas College of Law. But rarely an “East Texas” business? Serious question.

3. Even if it were still Southeast Texas, the argument that “Southeast Texas is a subregion of East Texas and not South Texas” was made by who? It could really be both or neither (as seems to be the case lately).

4. Ok, so it’s neither... is it just it’s own region and too big to be classified?

5. Let’s say, Houston were East Texas... What first comes to mind in East Texas is what Georgraphically would be “Northeast Texas”: Tyler... Lufkin... maybe even the Golden Triangle. But the Houston metro consists of over 7 million+ people... if a Metro dominated a population by catastrophic ammounts, it should be synonymous with the region.

6. Just like it’s on the East side of Texas, it’s also on the Southside. But most of South Texas is defined by its Tex Mex presence. Which is found in Houston, but Houston is also defined by many other cultures (unlike the rest of South Texas). Does that disqualify it?

7. Or is it the perfect crossroads?

For goodness sake, Houston is in Southeast Texas. That's how it is. Nothing can change that. And locals who have lived in the area for a long time understand. Texas just has so many regions in what is a big state. This shouldn't have to be up for debate.

Just accept it and go on.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That would be an interesting concept. There are some Mexican rappers in Dallas that claim both Dallas and Midwest as opposed to the South.
Dallas is the southernmost end of the Great Plains (a.k.a. Tornado Alley). The Plains states tend to be lumped with the Great Lakes states to create a combined Midwest Region of Middle America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston