Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 03:23 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,722,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The best you can hope for from the Sugar Land Airport or Houston executive airport would be that American Airlines decides to run RJ service to DFW. There is nothing in the short term beyond that unless its a charter.

Ive always DFW-GLS on an RJ would be a good add.
GLS would be good for the cruise industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 05:15 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,091,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The best you can hope for from the Sugar Land Airport or Houston executive airport would be that American Airlines decides to run RJ service to DFW. There is nothing in the short term beyond that unless its a charter.

Ive always DFW-GLS on an RJ would be a good add.
What's the terminal situation at GLS? I haven't been there in years. Didn't they have DFW service a couple of decades ago? I know they had some commuter service in maybe the 70s or 80s, but there's no way a terminal from that era is viable now without a lot of rework (assuming that it even exists).

But I agree, I don't see why a couple of flights a day to DFW couldn't work if there's a decent terminal. I can't see anything more than that though, it would primarily cater to cruise traffic since that airport is really hard to get to from anywhere that isn't the island itself and southern Galveston County.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
What's the terminal situation at GLS? I haven't been there in years. Didn't they have DFW service a couple of decades ago? I know they had some commuter service in maybe the 70s or 80s, but there's no way a terminal from that era is viable now without a lot of rework (assuming that it even exists).

But I agree, I don't see why a couple of flights a day to DFW couldn't work if there's a decent terminal. I can't see anything more than that though, it would primarily cater to cruise traffic since that airport is really hard to get to from anywhere that isn't the island itself and southern Galveston County.
Yeah. Even Texas City would be better off feeding from Hobby. People would prefer fly direct from Hobby than drive into Galveston with a layover in DFW. And even if they wanted to fly American, Hobby has DFW service. GLS would do good to serve the cruise port mostly. But that’s a large enough industry to use the service of limited enough.

If regional airports are what you’re searching, Sugar Land would be a better options because it has such a high concentrate population that could go there over IAH or HOU.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:59 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,028,687 times
Will there be demand for a third commercial airport in the next 50 years? Ellington Field has been around for a long time and other than that weird EFD-IAH route I don't believe any airline flew elsewhere out of EFD. EFD is also a lot bigger than the Sugar Land airport if ever there was demand.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Will there be demand for a third commercial airport in the next 50 years? Ellington Field has been around for a long time and other than that weird EFD-IAH route I don't believe any airline flew elsewhere out of EFD. EFD is also a lot bigger than the Sugar Land airport if ever there was demand.
It’s too close to Hobby. And whichever it would be, it would be a regional airport. Sugar Land would benefit the far West and Southwest Houston. Ellington would benefit the southeastern Suburbs. Far West Houston is growing far more rapidly and SE Houston already has Hobby.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I don't really see a true demand for one in that timeframe. IAH is wayyyyyy below capacity and can build another runway and terminal space as needed. There's space for additional gates at Hobby as well. As was mentioned, EFD is too close to Hobby to be a useful alternate and is really going all in on space for its future. Hobby would be built out before any discussion would start about EFD and if a terminal needs to be built at an airport that's not IAH or HOU, I would expect it to be Sugar Land or Galveston.

Maybe in 50-100 years we'll be talking about a third airport assuming domestic aviation isn't largely supplanted by something else.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I don't really see a true demand for one in that timeframe. IAH is wayyyyyy below capacity and can build another runway and terminal space as needed. There's space for additional gates at Hobby as well. As was mentioned, EFD is too close to Hobby to be a useful alternate and is really going all in on space for its future. Hobby would be built out before any discussion would start about EFD and if a terminal needs to be built at an airport that's not IAH or HOU, I would expect it to be Sugar Land or Galveston.

Maybe in 50-100 years we'll be talking about a third airport assuming domestic aviation isn't largely supplanted by something else.
They pretty are building a new terminal. They recently closed the Terminal D/E garage to demolish it and make way for a terminal D Extension and an overall renovation which serves basically as a new terminal since it doubles the wide gate capacity. It was much needed for sure.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
They pretty are building a new terminal. They recently closed the Terminal D/E garage to demolish it and make way for a terminal D Extension and an overall renovation which serves basically as a new terminal since it doubles the wide gate capacity. It was much needed for sure.
Yep, and if they wanted to or needed to they could build further east of D/E in the future. Of course, that would require taking out a bunch of parking and redoing the road system (the latter of which I shudder to think about - the terminal road system there is a disaster).

Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,310,773 times
Default Houston-Dallas

I remember that airport did run a passenger service from Houston to Dallas. It was not profitable and shutdown soon after. This was sometime in the 90's, I don't recall exactly when.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I remember that airport did run a passenger service from Houston to Dallas. It was not profitable and shutdown soon after. This was sometime in the 90's, I don't recall exactly when.
Which airport, Galveston or sugar land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston