Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 03:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are considering moving to Houston with our 5 year old. She works from home and I'd be working at UH.
Her family lives in College Station and she went to Rice and really liked it. We're both from the Twin Cities area.

We are looking to buy a house for under $350k. First and foremost we want an area with LGBT families that is socially liberal. A neighborhood/suburb of single family homes, mostly families, leafy streets etc. We also need decent schools. Private schools are out of the question we don't have the money.

What advice would you give us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 05:21 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,639 times
Most of Houston proper (inside the loop) is liberal and no one cares about you being a Lesbian. The city supports Lesbians, including a mayor a few years ago.

There is a disconnect between your wish list and budget. Unfortunately, a $350k is too low for almost all the inside the loop neighborhoods (Midtown, Montrose, Heights, Rice Military/Washington Corridor, etc.) for a single family home. Have you considered a townhome?

There are many options at $350k in the suburbs; though, the neighborhoods are much less socially liberal with a long commute to UH to boot.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,042 times
You likely need to up your budget. Look for something inside the loop (probably a townhouse) zoned to the Poe Elementary/Lanier Middle School/Lamar High School feeder patterns. These areas are close to Rice University .https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/...aps/Poe_ES.pdf https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/.../Lanier_MS.pdf https://www.houstontx.gov/education/maps/lamar.pdf The Shady Acres, Heights, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, Norhill, Brooke Smith, Lazybrook and Timbergrove areas are also possibilities, but the zoned schools are a bit more iffy above the elementary school level. Here is an example listing in the Heights/Shady Acres area. https://www.greenwoodking.com/real-e...9703/107973207

Last edited by KatieKennedy; 04-19-2021 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Probably Montrose

Montrose is traditionally where the LGBTQ community live, but as others noted, no one cares. I always find it interesting that most times, those who want inclusiveness, who want acceptance, never want to accept anyone else. Live where you can afford, but Montrose is close to UofH.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
We are a gay family and live in 77096. Check out 77096/77035. We are in Meyerland (not in your budget), but if you focus on Westbury and Willowbend, you should find some homes in your price range. They will likely need updating, but unless you move out to the suburbs, you will most likely find houses that need some touchups.

In your price range, if you can find schools zoned to elementary schools Parker and Red, you will do well, and that should take you to Meyerland Middle, also good.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:34 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
I am in this neighborhood (Meyerland-adjacent) and I agree. Lots of diverse families. Also, the suggestion above about a townhome inside the loop is good, if you don't want to deal with renovations and upkeep to a 50- or 60-year old home. But for an old-fashioned, leafy neighborhood full of kids riding bikes, little league and swim team, and open-minded attitudes, you can't do better than 77096/77035. If I won a million dollars tomorrow I wouldn't move.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,397 times
PM sent.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:49 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
Quite a bit of the LGBT community with kids, along with couples who can't afford the inner loop, live out the 290 corridor. In fact, most of the LGBT churches in Houston are located within a few miles of the 290/610 interchange. That will be a good resource for you to find community, and I believe Resurrection MCC even has a kid's church time. Even if you're not religious, it's a good way to meet other couples with kids and connect to groups.

Being out 290 would get you closer to College Station, but would be a nightmare commute to UH.

I like the suggestions about getting a townhome in the loop. I'd definitely rent for a year before you decide. The LGBT families I know have zero issues living in the suburbs, even the master-planned communities farther out. If you connect with community groups first then you can meet similar couples/families and that might be a deciding factor in areas that appeal to you.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:36 AM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Westbury/Meyerland immediately came to mind, as others have mentioned already. If you're finding that area to be too expensive and you don't mind living in a suburban setting, perhaps take a look at Pearland. Reasonable commute to UH, safe, lower price point than ITL, and likely the most ethnically diverse suburb in the Houston metro. Someone else will have to comment on the quality of the school district as I'm not familiar.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,754 times
Depends on which UH campus. UH-Downtown is easily accessed from northwest 290 corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston