Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

Is this asbestos flooring? It came from a home built in the sixties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 12:01 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadarb View Post
Can't tell without a picture.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:06 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Some 1'x1' tiles are known to contain asbestos, however if they are intact, then you don't need to be worried.
https://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Asb...ests_1970s.php

Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Default Picture

Quote:
I thought I posted a picture.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I thought I posted a picture.
I can't post a picture on this screwed up web site. Or my android gallery, Google photos, or my other formats won't let my copy and paste. I also don't have an option to edit my original thread. And when I add a post, at the bottom left window it says I may not ad attatchment.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:27 AM

Default picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some 1'x1' tiles are known to contain asbestos, however if they are intact, then you don't need to be worried.
https://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Asb...ests_1970s.php
Since your a moderator. How can I add a picture?

Old 04-25-2021, 11:41 AM

The flooring is old linoleum sheet, with a white marble look with goldish veins, and the back side is a light grey paper with a slight bluish tint. The paper backing is about a millimeter thick and has the texture a little courser then art paper used for pastel art. You can bend it about 120 % before it breaks. So its not as flexible as the linoleum that was glued over the top about 20 years ago. It is not glued down with the tar glue, and has visible yellow glue. But there is also some white plaster on floor, maybe thin set.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:53 AM

363 posts, read 1,360,162 times
Default Asbestos

Hello, I have the 9x9 tile that you are describing. It is a 1968 Armstrong line called Caligua Diana White 51202 or something like that and it is made with asbestos. I found it in my closets in my 1969 West Houston home. The previous owners put carpet over it. I put LVP over it. I do not have alot of it, but some is cracked off and when I swept it up or removed carpet tacks, I probably disturbed it a bit and released into the air. I would not touch it if possible or have it professionally removed.

http://www.davidcole.net/asbestos/tile/1968.pdf

Old 04-26-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Hello, I have the 9x9 tile that you are describing. It is a 1968 Armstrong line called Caligua Diana White 51202 or something like that and it is made with asbestos. I found it in my closets in my 1969 West Houston home. The previous owners put carpet over it. I put LVP over it. I do not have alot of it, but some is cracked off and when I swept it up or removed carpet tacks, I probably disturbed it a bit and released into the air. I would not touch it if possible or have it professionally removed.

Thanks but this is not tile its sheet, and it doesn't have the black tar glue but from what I've read on some websites that they also used asbestos on some of the sheet vinyl. I just happen to find a testing lab right here in Friendswood. They are testing it for me for 30 dollars.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post

Also I have cartridge respirators with chemical, and particles etc. P100. I used to be a seaman and worked alot with grinders epoxy paint etc. So I was already using it when I started scrapping it up because of mold, drywall dust and rockwool.. But when I actually scrapped the floor clean I wetted it just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: