Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 4,660 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
How is the big situation in Houston in June and July? I will be looking at houses at that time of year. I’ve heard about the June bugs and mosquitos, but am I going to encounter nasty bugs found in other cities in Texas. How does it compare to other cities in Texas? I hear alot about them, but what’s the big situation like for a Houstonian? I’ve heard that in Texas, there’s a lot of bugs, but it differs from the major cities in the state since it’s huge.

Is Houston buggier in terms of insects, cockroaches and mosquitos? I’ve heard about all the bugs in Dallas and Austin, but the quantity of bugs differ because of climate (for example, Dallas has more wasps and centipedes than in a place like south Texas.) WHATS the difference with the quantity of bugs within the Houston area in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 03:16 PM

567 posts, read 1,624,329 times
In Texas, you encounter Texas size mosquitos and cockroaches. Bring bug spray.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:01 PM

111 posts, read 91,231 times
Fear not the bugs of Houston. I lived in a few other places. I know at least the roaches of Houston are not as big or frequent as the ones in New Orleans (dear lord they're big there). The mosquitoes are not as big or as many as in Calgary because a lot of the suburbs hire someone to spray something at night once or twice a week. You'll need to wear mosquito repellant if you don't want to be bitten, but that's the case anywhere in the summer. I found a couple wolf spiders inside my previous home, but it was a one time thing and they probably lived there before i moved in. My current house has silverfishes that we can't seem to get rid of. We have love bugs a few weeks every year. They look horrific at first, but once you know they don't do anything to you, it doesn't seem to be as scary. We also have crane flies, which also look horrific at first, but then you find out they are really clumsy, doesn't bite, and dies really quickly, then they're no longer a bother.
The good thing about Houston is that, nothing other than mosquitos seem to bite. Most seem to just leave me alone.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:43 PM

Does the big situation mean I should have pest control because it gets bad? I know in some parts of the US, there’s no need for pest control. Is the bug situation bad enough that. I need mosquito repellent, insect spray, and pest control living in Houston?

Old 05-10-2021, 06:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,280,429 times
It just depends. Mosquitos haven't been bad in my area for years. But maybe 10 years ago they got pretty bad one summer. However the city always sprays for mosquitos (I'm in a suburb). I don't consider spiders a pest unless they are in my house. I typically leave them alone. They don't come after you. Now if you are outside in the summer tossing a frisbee you may encounter a horse fly or a deer fly. They are the apex of pestiness and will hound you until you kill them. Carry a small towel so it's easier to swat at them.

Bugs here will not be any worse than Dallas or Austin. We don't get the giant centipedes here. They are typically little.

Wasps don't bother you. Yellowjackets are a different story if you accidently hit a nest, but that's hard to do if you never work or play outdoors. So for most people, they are easy to avoid.

I haven't had pest control in many years. If you hate all bugs, then you will have challenges here. If you are ok with bugs here and there, then it isn't so bad.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:18 AM

111 posts, read 91,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haha2 View Post
Does the big situation mean I should have pest control because it gets bad? I know in some parts of the US, there’s no need for pest control. Is the bug situation bad enough that. I need mosquito repellent, insect spray, and pest control living in Houston?
Some people have exterminators. We never did. We had ant invasions a couple times, but were able to deal with it ourselves

Old 05-11-2021, 06:53 AM

567 posts, read 1,624,329 times
I do my own pest control. Mostly have to deal with lawn bugs that destroy the grass, mosquitos, and rats....yes rats. Other bugs are tolerable.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,570,323 times
Get one can of bug barrier spray. I get the red can, I think it has a tiger on it. I spray it right where the baseboards meet the floor all over the first level of my house. Also spray along doorways. It usually kills everything for about six months. It's usually around 15 bucks.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:31 PM

How about when I take a walk outside. Is the bug situation so bad in Houston (assuming I can handle it) that I need bug spray or do I not need it for the outdoors. I know Houston is mosquito land at night during the summer, but will bug repellant be necessary if I’m going to walk outside, like at a park?

Old 05-12-2021, 08:58 PM

15,532 posts, read 7,565,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haha2 View Post
How about when I take a walk outside. Is the bug situation so bad in Houston (assuming I can handle it) that I need bug spray or do I not need it for the outdoors. I know Houston is mosquito land at night during the summer, but will bug repellant be necessary if I’m going to walk outside, like at a park?
Every year, Houston loses no more than 3 or 4 infants, a few hundred cats, and who knows how many dogs when they are carried off by the bugs. Just kidding.

They aren't bad at all to me, but my wife says that's because they go after her. It really does depend on the day, how much rain we've had recently, etc. I would keep some repellent in your bag, just in case. Parks are likely to be worse than your neighborhood, as there are more places for bugs to breed and grow, and more natural water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston