Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,554 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Our 5 families are thinking of relocating to TX 2021- tired of the cold. We are looking around Houston area for several reasons.
1. We are looking for to buy 6-10 acres of land. We are planning to build 4 homes on the property next year.
2. Great school system (kids with disabilities),
3. Low flooding risk
4. Low taxes, low crime rate,
5. close to the airport and
6. fairly close to amenities- willing to drive 20-30 minutes

Our price range is around $100-150 K max for the land

What areas do you suggest I should consider? Someone suggested Katy TX.

If it will be cheaper to build residential homes, we are willing to do so as well.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 16 days ago)

8,437 posts, read 5,576,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocochic View Post
Hi everyone,

Our 5 families are thinking of relocating to TX 2021- tired of the cold. We are looking around Houston area for several reasons.
1. We are looking for to buy 6-10 acres of land. We are planning to build 4 homes on the property next year.
2. Great school system (kids with disabilities),
3. Low flooding risk
4. Low taxes, low crime rate,
5. close to the airport and
6. fairly close to amenities- willing to drive 20-30 minutes

Our price range is around $100-150 K max for the land

What areas do you suggest I should consider? Someone suggested Katy TX.

If it will be cheaper to build residential homes, we are willing to do so as well.

Any thoughts?
150K wont touch 10 acres of land near Katy.

If that is your budget and thats how much land you want Id look Northeast of Houston. You should be able to get that somewhere between Cleveland and New Waverly.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:16 PM

Thank you, we have been looking around Northeast area. Any place in particular you suggest? We are willing to pay more for a good area

Old 07-02-2021, 06:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,256,687 times
Quote:
<snip>
Welcome to Houston (well, soon). Help me understand this, maybe my coffee just hasn't kicked in. You state in #1 you are planning to build 4 homes. Then at the end you say if it's cheaper to build residential homes, you will.

I'm confused. What were the homes in #1 if not residential homes?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,978,781 times
I would recommend focusing your search to the northeast also, in eastern Montgomery County or Liberty County. Be very careful about flood zones.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:31 PM

@ astrohip

Sorry for the confusion. We want to buy land and build on the land. We were also thinking of adding a small residential home next to our homes. We are a total of 5 families relocating, we need to build total of 4 homes.

We have 2 handicapped family members and a small residential home next to us will be perfect. If the residential home is not possible on same land, we won’t build.

We need a space that will hold 4 homes=) 4 bedroom and 2.5 baths each for each home.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2021, 05:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,541,917 times
You know there is a lumber shortage !
it may be cheaper to buy an existing home than build one now,but then they wont be close to each other

Old 07-02-2021, 10:21 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,543,811 times
Quote:
@ astrohip

Sorry for the confusion. We want to buy land and build on the land. We were also thinking of adding a small residential home next to our homes. We are a total of 5 families relocating, we need to build total of 4 homes.

We have 2 handicapped family members and a small residential home next to us will be perfect. If the residential home is not possible on same land, we won’t build.

We need a space that will hold 4 homes=) 4 bedroom and 2.5 baths each for each home.

Thanks
Oh what you mean by 'residential home' is more of a guest house I guess.
I see guest houses even on much smaller lots in suburban areas. Since you are going rural, there will be higher chance of adding guest house next to the main structure.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone

We thought about the prices to build too, we are not in the hurry to build. We are thinking next summer or fall even, not sure if the market will be reasonable by then.

We want to purchase land first and build later

We are looking for a suburban area, not necessarily rural. Close to memorial Herman for my sick families members and near Houston for other family members who have jobs in Houston

Old 07-03-2021, 01:05 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,543,811 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone

We thought about the prices to build too, we are not in the hurry to build. We are thinking next summer or fall even, not sure if the market will be reasonable by then.

We want to purchase land first and build later

We are looking for a suburban area, not necessarily rural. Close to memorial Herman for my sick families members and near Houston for other family members who have jobs in Houston
Well I see you want to build whole empire on a budget, but that doesn't seem realistic in suburban area. In your budget it's going to be rural or semi-rural with relative proximity to suburbs. Good luck finding even 6 acres in suburbs for 150K. And the land is only getting more expensive. Clock is ticking. Don't expect the land to get cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston