Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most complete Houston suburb
Conroe 0 0%
Cypress 1 1.41%
Katy/Cinco 8 11.27%
Pearland 3 4.23%
Spring 2 2.82%
Sugar Land 31 43.66%
The Woodlands 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 12:44 PM

9,929 posts, read 6,638,998 times

Advertisements

Figured since people bring this up all the time, there should be a thread about it. One could argue that the right answer is Memorial/EC, but since it’s in the city limits, that’s an argument for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 01:14 PM

694 posts, read 837,910 times
Difficult to say what makes a suburb "complete".

Sugar Land (117,869 pop.) is fairly compact when compared with Katy, which is more an area than a town (21,729 pop. in the town, over 340,000 pop. for the area). Size wise, Sugar Land is closer to the size of the Woodlands (113,819 pop.)

In its actual town footprint, Sugar Land has:

a professional sports team in the Triple A Skeeters, a minor league ballpark.
a large concert venue in the Smart Financial Centre (6,400 cap.)
an airport, albeit one for only private and corporate aircraft.
large employers in Schlumberger, Fluor, Champion X, TI.
several Hospitals.
still viable shopping mall.
a riverside events venue.
parks.
decent restaurant scene.
good housing stock.
decent schools.

Which makes it pretty complete.

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 07-06-2021 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 01:17 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,532,474 times
I voted Sugar Land.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:32 PM

My vote for most complete goes to Katy. While the most high class is obviously the Woodlands. Even with concerts and having the nicest suburban mall in GH give it complete points, but the lack of diversity affects its dining and nightlife which keep me with Katy.

Even if Sugar Land is currently over Katy in amenities, Katy is growing so fast that this will change if it hasn't already.
- Katy Asia Town was a huge boost when it opened
- Tiger Woods is building is building a heck of a golf and event center
- The Katy Boardwalk will be another major boost.
- Great food and decent nightlife
- Typhoon Texas
- Good overall shopping. People say "Katy Mills sucks" but who cares? La Centerra and the strip malls are better anyway.

The lone thing I could legit say that Sugar Land and Woodlands have over Katy is the amount of high paying, on site employment. Katy is still behind SL and TW in this regard, but their proximity to EC along with Academy, etc make it not even matter as much.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I voted Sugar Land.
it floods

Old 07-06-2021, 02:31 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,532,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
it floods
You sure about that? Most of the flood prone areas in that part of Fort Bend are actually in Missouri City, not Sugar Land.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,570,987 times
I voted SL, but Katy is catching up and may eventually surpass SL if growth continues in that area, if not already. I want to see Houston suburbs grow to where they offer similar amenities as the city of Houston itself.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I voted SL, but Katy is catching up and may eventually surpass SL if growth continues in that area, if not already. I want to see Houston suburbs grow to where they offer similar amenities as the city of Houston itself.
Welp. That’s kind of a high bar to set lol! But I know what you mean. Katy definitely is in the best position to be this in the future though. Katy Asia Town and La Centerra were game changers. and the Katy Boardwalk and Tiger Wood’s new golf event center will be game changers as they complete as well.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:12 PM

As far as the Woodlands, in theory it could go down as the most complete suburb. It has the best suburban mall in the region, the Cynthia Woods Pavillions even competes with the Toyota Center for concerts. A fairly impressive amount of employment and even more if you include Sporingwood Village. And even diverse employment with HP & HPE, Exxon, Woodforest National Bank, etc.

But what sets it back is simply lack of diversity. Without that, it won’t get Katy or Sugar Land’s good ethnic eats or nightlife.

Then again, that particular demographic has brought the Woodlands impressive things I wouldn’t have imagined. I knew it was an affluent suburb. But to attract stores like Louis Vuitton and Tiffany. And high end chains like Fogo de Chao, Mastro’s, etc, it’s becoming something I wouldn’t even have imagined.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,798,480 times
I vote for The Woodlands - IMO it has it all over Katy and Sugar Land in terms of natural beauty, outdoor amenities/activities, and high commercial development standards/consistent aesthetics. Market Street + The Woodlands Mall are a cut above anything offered in Katy and SL. Proximity to IAH is also a plus.

Having said that, I wouldn't personally live in The Woodlands because it's too dang far from Houston. A drive into the city is "an event", whereas from older parts of Sugar Land it's a relatively short hop.

Katy vs Sugar Land is too close to call IMO, both have their pluses and minuses. I'd pick whichever is closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston