Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 11:25 AM

313 posts, read 281,926 times

Advertisements

I think most $$$ areas are going to be friendly/tolerant at this point. If you’ve got the money to live in WU then you’ve most likely found success career-wise and that’s more important to people than orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 05:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
I think most $$$ areas are going to be friendly/tolerant at this point. If you’ve got the money to live in WU then you’ve most likely found success career-wise and that’s more important to people than orientation.
Pretty much. In West U, you aren’t much more than your money. You could have 3 polysexual gender fluid people living in the house, and as long as they aren’t causing trouble or breaking the law, the only thing that’s going to matter is how big their wallet is.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Oh that's quite sad!

Interesting, though, that you have quite an interest in this thread.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:32 PM

34 posts, read 27,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
West U is filled with high income doctors and lawyers. Most of the residents are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. The state rep for the area, Democrat Ann Johnson, is gay. https://www.annjohnson.com
One of the things that makes me so astounded is that West U swung 31% to the left in 2020 compared to 2008, and 45% to the left compared to 2012. Romney carried the city with about 61% of the vote, and now Biden with 56%. Would you consider the Biden-down ballot GOP voters in West U to be moderate or conservatives upset with Trump?

Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 PM

34 posts, read 27,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Really, everywhere inside the 610 loop (freeway) is pretty LGBT-friendly, even the perceived "stuffier"/richer areas like River Oaks/Afton Oaks/West U. Is West U a gay stronghold like some other parts of inside 610? Not really, although there certainly are some gay residents of course. There's actually not many parts of Houston that are not at least mostly gay-friendly, or at worst very gay-tolerant, albeit for maybe a few parts in the boonies or "hoods". Gay ppl in Houston are pretty spread out these days, they're still in slightly greater concentrations in & around Montrose (especially older gay crowds), but it is a far cry from the "gayborhood" days where every gay guy would flock to one part of the city. I've found this is also the case in many of the south & sunbelt cities today.
I'm not trying to equate LGBT density with tolerance or anything. The city seems quite liberal for its voting patterns to me. The city still supports some GOP people downballot, I imagine its just the economic vote though. I really wish Texas would do a referendum on this to see what the residents views are, all I have is the Amendment 2 from 2005, which at that time the only more LGBT friendly areas in Houston were Montrose, Midtown, Upper Kirby, Downtown, Medical Center and parts of The Heights and that's it.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Our only non-gay-friendly issue we had living in the loop was when we decided to leave Houston. My husband called the moving company and tried to schedule our movers, then he contacted us back with the quote and kept saying "your friend" when he already knew we were married. He did it several times and we went with another company. They're located near the Galleria and the owner of it is a friend of my cousin's so the whole thing was weird. Other than that, no issues.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
I am way out in Cypress and we have several gays living around us. Nobody cares who you are sleeping with around here. This is not 1955. LOL

I would guess it would go double for inside the Loop.

We rented a house in Belliaire for years and if Bellaire was tolerant, I would guess West U would be the same.

If you have the $$$ to afford West U houses...I doubt they care about your orientation.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:59 AM

52 posts, read 27,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwint.2021 View Post
Is West U LGBT-friendly?

Houston has always been LGBT-friendly, with a catch. We'll be friendly to you, but if you want to do anything public you go to Montrose, since that's the district for such things.

I haven't heard about anyone doing anything cruel for some time.

West University is a little pocket of money and goodthinkers so I am sure you will be safe there. I see rainbow flags all the time when I drive through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: