Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 09:59 PM

63 posts, read 81,143 times

Advertisements

Theres a good chance I might visit Houston for a good while next year (maybe a month or so).

Pho is one of my favorite go to foods where I can tell a HUGE difference in quality.

The two best Pho bowls I've had was one in Boston Massachusetts in a place called Super 88 food court called Pho Viets.

- Flavor was explosive peppery and salty
- Rich Rich Rich broth
- Looked pretty dark
- Fatty flavor from the meats and broth sunk deep into the noodles\
- That tasty sweet fish sauce flavor too

Then theres this place in Richmond, VA called Pho So 1 which is another very memorable Pho experience but just did things one step below the Pho Viets in Boston.

So, I've honestly been pretty dissapointed with about 90% of the places I've went to but unfortunately I'm snobby about Pho and have high expectations.

Ok, so I described the flavor the best I can. Whats the best Pho in Houston and has the flavor I described. I had a great meal here before with this Cream of Fish type of soup and rice in Asiatown. And Houston has a big asian population so I have high hopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 AM

335 posts, read 264,787 times
Pho Ve Dem (Chinatown): best broth in the city - robust without being too oily. Noodles are great too. Helps if you can speak vietnamese, otherwise I usually point to what I want to order. Very reasonable prices, but CASH ONLY.

Pho Dien (Chinatown): not over-the-top amazing but very consistent. Accepts credit cards. I think there is a location on the north side of the metro if you happen to be up there and don't want the long drive.

Les Noodle (Montrose): convenient location if you are inside the loop and don't want to make the trek to Chinatown. High quality broth and meat. Somewhat pricey. Small parking lot but can park in adjacent neighborhoods.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM

10,015 posts, read 6,709,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Pho Ve Dem (Chinatown): best broth in the city - robust without being too oily. Noodles are great too. Helps if you can speak vietnamese, otherwise I usually point to what I want to order. Very reasonable prices, but CASH ONLY.

Pho Dien (Chinatown): not over-the-top amazing but very consistent. Accepts credit cards. I think there is a location on the north side of the metro if you happen to be up there and don't want the long drive.

Les Noodle (Montrose): convenient location if you are inside the loop and don't want to make the trek to Chinatown. High quality broth and meat. Somewhat pricey. Small parking lot but can park in adjacent neighborhoods.
Those first two are actually Viet town. The portion outside of the belt is Viet town. The portion east of the belt is Chinatown

I love Pho Binh in Viet town! I don’t care how basic it is lol

Old 07-26-2021, 10:48 AM

63 posts, read 81,143 times
The hotel I plan to stay in happens to be near Asiatown so I'm happy about that.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 AM

10,015 posts, read 6,709,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Asian View Post
The hotel I plan to stay in happens to be near Asiatown so I'm happy about that.
Don’t call it Asiatown when you get here lol. People don’t like it when you do that (especially the Chinese and Vietnamese). They really hate that term. And rightfully so in my opinion. They established those communities to their roots. Just because Chinatown and Viet town are close together I wouldn’t combine them into one Asiatown. In one, you have Chinese street signs in the other Vietnamese. They’re very unique from each other. That’s was a counterproductive PR move by the chronicle that tried getting that term going

Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 AM

186 posts, read 189,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Those first two are actually Viet town. The portion outside of the belt is Viet town. The portion east of the belt is Chinatown

I love Pho Binh in Viet town! I don’t care how basic it is lol
Facts, facts, and Facts on Pho Binh

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,750,854 times
Do they have the same owners as the Pho Binh trailer on the southeast side? That's probably the best in this quandrant.

I've had a lot of this and they are all very similar to me. The devil is in the details. A lot of people like that super-salty/MSG taste that makes some people's hearts race. Don't believe any of mine have ever had a lot of fish sauce. They overwhelmingly smell & taste like greasy beef broth with a lot of star anise. I'm not real adventurous on the meat, though. The jalapenos and cilantro are due to our location. If you go overseas for pho + banh mi they will use whatever herb & pepper is cheap & abundant locally.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:26 AM

511 posts, read 403,887 times
If you ever get a chance to visit Austin, try Pho Dan on W Braker/N Lamar.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 552 times
How about Pho Saigon?

Old 08-02-2021, 04:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,555,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
How about Pho Saigon?

I like Pho Saigon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston