Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 01:55 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Downtown Houston is awesome during the day.
...and so dead after business hours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:00 PM

52 posts, read 27,644 times
I always describe Houston to people as a decentralized city.

Downtown was always kind of dead, so each district (region, area, neighborhood) of Houston developed its own activities.

Anyone who is downtown will probably just head to the Montrose for nocturnal entertainment!

Old 08-14-2021, 02:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultright View Post
Midtown is horrific. Drunk yuppies barfing in the bushes. Glad I didn't shell out for one of those apartments or condos above that nightmare.
Even though we have different tastes, I actually wonder what affect in value do those units have with the loudness from the nightlife

Old 08-14-2021, 02:09 PM

52 posts, read 27,644 times
If cooked properly with garlic, we probably both taste about the same.

In my view... well... if I pay a lot of money for housing, I'd like it to be quiet and vomit-free.

I mean, there should be party zones, and I don't want to throw rocks in a glass house, but those party zones need to be located some place appropriately removed from residential areas.

Imagine being two floors above the bar scene and yuppies yurking tacos onto their tassel loafers. It doesn't seem to calm down until early morning either.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
If cooked properly with garlic, we probably both taste about the same.

In my view... well... if I pay a lot of money for housing, I'd like it to be quiet and vomit-free.

I mean, there should be party zones, and I don't want to throw rocks in a glass house, but those party zones need to be located some place appropriately removed from residential areas.

Imagine being two floors above the bar scene and yuppies yurking tacos onto their tassel loafers. It doesn't seem to calm down until early morning either.
Right but Midtown isn’t a suburb. Even though it did used to be more of a bedroom community, when you’re in proximity to downtown, you have to understand that in any given moment, a major project can emerge in your area.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:30 PM

17 posts, read 11,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
You ain't lying, and I think it's a good thing. I remember Downtown Houston being a ghost town after 5pm in the 90s up to the early 2000s. Once 2010s hit, that's when DT started a resurrection.
No, DT Houston was already revitalizing in the very late 90’s and early 2000s.

Downtown Houston became hot in the 2010s because of the mass migrations to Houston.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,548 times
Quote:
Houston nightlife long ago moved mostly out of downtown due to how dangerous it can be after dark.
Not true at all. There is plenty of packed bars/clubs along main and also in Market Square. It usually is an older crowd.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Not true at all. There is plenty of packed bars/clubs along main and also in Market Square. It usually is an older crowd.
Agree with your first and second sentences. It definitely does have an older crowd. That’s not why I’m not mad not it though. For me it’s because of the lack of vibrancy. Mostly regular bars outside of the spire which conveniently is close to midtown anyway

Old 08-15-2021, 07:29 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...and so dead after business hours...
It’s far from dead. When is the last time you spent time downtown? Where do you go for fun? I might be reaching…you seem too old for the Midtown or Washington Ave crowd. Tell us where elnina goes to let loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Agree with your first and second sentences. It definitely does have an older crowd. That’s not why I’m not mad not it though. For me it’s because of the lack of vibrancy. Mostly regular bars outside of the spire which conveniently is close to midtown anyway
I know you LOVE Midtown. Midtown and downtown can continue to co-exist. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. Although, I don’t like Midtown at all, I appreciate it for what it is, an another entertainment district.

You seem to like clubs (e.g., Spire). Midtown has clubs and bars. Downtown’s speciality is bars. It’s like a much larger and mature (i.e., late 20s to mid-thirties) Washington Avenue. I won’t step foot in a club or party with 21 year olds and that why I stay away from Midtown.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:25 AM

312 posts, read 281,527 times
Is Downtown nightlife dead? We used to party-hardy downtown back in the 90’s and segued into Midtown but party-poopered out by the time Washington was getting big. Is that the place to go now? I know its covid but do people still party during the week? Is Happy Hour still a thing? Man, I wish Uber existed 20 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston