Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 10:00 AM

39 posts, read 63,263 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering purchasing in this area because of cost and great schools. We’re currently in Austin and would like to buy in a community that gives us a ROI since we will be parking our savings in this home. Austin is red hot but unfortunately we are priced out. We’ve seen some figures online but would appreciate hearing some info from y’all regarding appreciation and the best areas in TW for under 300k with excellent schools and low taxes. Ideally we’d like to be close to shopping, entertainment, and restaurants. Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 01:44 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,762 times
Any home in the Houston area that is in a good neighborhood with good schools WILL appreciate.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 63,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Any home in the Houston area that is in a good neighborhood with good schools WILL appreciate.
Do you happen to have a reliable source where one can view actual statistical data? I’m wondering if Kyle or Buda Texas are a better long term investment compared to The Woodlands. Or even perhaps Liberty Hill

Old 08-11-2021, 02:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcherblanc View Post
Do you happen to have a reliable source where one can view actual statistical data? I’m wondering if Kyle or Buda Texas are a better long term investment compared to The Woodlands. Or even perhaps Liberty Hill

I have no link-able sources but can tell you this.

I have lived in a Houston suburb that is nice and has good schools since 1995. I could more than double what I paid for this house, if I sold it today.

I have many friends and relatives that live in The Woodlands, Kingwood, Sugar Land and other nicer Houston burbs and they too have mentioned being able to double or almost double their money, if they sold today.

I also have several family members that are realtors and they too talk about how people are making out like bandits, selling their homes in today's market.

Austin probably appreciates faster, but it seems like the market there is higher homes costs to begin with.

To be honest, I drive in Austin often and I would rather put up with Houston's traffic than that of Austin. For some odd reason, Austin seems more congested and there seems to be less alternatives to avoid certain high-traffic areas. Not sure why.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:40 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
As a general rule, homes in Austin and its closer-in suburbs tend to cost more than homes in Houston and its suburbs. It's hard to say about appreciation, because while desirable suburbs in Houston do appreciate, historically it's been a fairly slow rate by national Sunbelt standards. There have been certain brief periods when appreciation has accelerated, like the last 15 months and the 2011-2014 period, which was the last oil boom, when large numbers of high-paying jobs were added to the economy. But the norm here is moderate appreciation.

Honestly if Austin keeps adding high-paying tech jobs at anywhere near the rate it has been over the last 5 years, I expect its appreciation rate to outpace Houston's, possibly by a lot, because Houston isn't adding as many high-wage jobs. And I mean this for the time period after the pandemic housing madness has eased off.

The only variable for the The Woodlands would be if one or more major employers with high paying jobs significantly expanded or relocated there - that could goose appreciation rates in that community more than for the metro as a whole. But while white-collar employment is healthy there and likely growing some, I don't know that it's enough to really force local appreciation to anything significantly higher than the overall metro.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:52 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I doubt it

but it's as similar as finding two similar houses and comparing them

https://www.har.com/homedetail/116-w...-77381/5332094

https://www.har.com/homedetail/6903-...77069/10677349

Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,792,570 times
In general, appreciation rates are driven by the greater Houston region's ability to add high-paying jobs (which is good, but seems to trail Dallas and Austin) and ability to add housing stock (which is excellent - probably better than any major metro area in the US - keeping appreciation rates in check, especially in existing suburbs that are just down the road from under-construction ones).

The Woodlands is an outstanding suburb and I'd expect its appreciation rates to be competitive with any other suburb in the greater Houston region, but appreciation rates will trail those in gentrifying close-in neighborhoods near major employment centers. And will likely trail appreciation rates in comparable suburbs near Austin or Dallas.

In real estate, doubling your money in nearly 30 years is not a great ROI. Heck, my FIL bought a condo in Austin that has tripled in value in less than 10.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:22 AM

9,878 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Yes, they’ll appreciate. Now who will appreciate faster is something else. The woodlands isn’t even the quickest to appreciate in the Houston area if that’s what you’re specifically looking for.

If you’re looking for home flipping, that’s a different story. I would look into Bridgeland before the Woodlands if you’re looking to maximize potential value

Old 08-12-2021, 02:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,470 times
Like others have said. Will vary, right now proper Houston has a spike in demand versus the burbs. A lot of young buyers are wanting to be inside and they are happy to pay. I would say certain pockets of TW are stable, but it has been stale for the past few years.

Bridgeland as Paraguanero said, has a lot of momentum right now.

Would highly suggest you look with a pro and get some stats to back it up.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 PM

332 posts, read 260,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
Will vary, right now proper Houston has a spike in demand versus the burbs. A lot of young buyers are wanting to be inside and they are happy to pay.
Is demand inside the loop exceeding the suburbs these days? My knowledge of Houston real estate is limited but I thought I remembered reading that demand was really high in the 'burbs because buyers wanted more space for remote working and avoiding contact with other people. This was about a year ago, though, so perhaps things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston