Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 02:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,522,842 times

Advertisements

I guess the reason why HOAs don't allow above the ground pools: if the pool breaks, water can splash into the neighbors yard and create disputes. Maybe back in older times above the ground pools were less reliable, I don't know. But who cares, it's not a huge risk to have one, it doesn't matter what HOA says. To me HOA is just a good excuse not to install above the ground pool, since it also requires some maintenance and I have a lot of trees. But if you really want it, why not?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 09:24 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
Good point, can't imagine 10,000 gallons of water rushing out.
If you have a small lot and poor drainage it could cause damage to your neighbor.
Then that becomes a whole different issue.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:46 PM

85 posts, read 350,743 times
Above ground pools are probably precluded by the subdivision restrictions, which were written by the developer.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:42 PM

455 posts, read 524,933 times
I'm not sure what some of you are talking about. From the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I just wanted a temporary inflatable shallow pool WELL BELOW FENCE LINE (30" high vs. 6ft tall privacy fence) for my young kinds to have fun so they are not stuck inside all summer - not some permanent tacky pool that will keep up year round.

I have one of the "heavy duty" Intex pools that is 6'x10' and 30" deep (vinyl material with a metal frame around the top). It's 1000 gallons, if that. Were it to somehow just burst, no one is going to be flooded out. It's not an eyesore because ... wait for it ... no one except for you and anyone in your backyard will ever see it. Well, unless your neighbors are on a ladder or happen to be tall enough for their entire head to clear the fence and get a good view to your backyard.

Actually, i do know what some of you are talking about -- those permanent above ground pools. But that's clearly not what the OP has in mind.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:03 PM

186 posts, read 188,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
$20k on price is optimistic. My experience has been it's more like $5k to $10k
Completely depends on the community and the price point. If you are in the $1.5-2M range, most people ask "where is the pool?".............

Old 09-02-2021, 04:39 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Completely depends on the community and the price point. If you are in the $1.5-2M range, most people ask "where is the pool?".............
That price range is outside my experience...

Old 09-06-2021, 09:56 AM

24 posts, read 48,264 times
Did you actually go through your HOA to get permitted and they rejected it? If you're talking about temporary inflatable pool below your fence line, I would just do it and ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Worst thing they could probably do is ask you to take it down or face a fine (and if you're going to do it after the each season anyway, then who cares).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
This seems to be a Houston thing. Most of the non HOA areas in Houston metro are rural, urban, or in undesirable suburbs with lousy schools. In plenty of very nice suburbs with good schools in the Northeast and Midwest people frequently have above ground pools.

I just wanted a temporary inflatable shallow pool WELL BELOW FENCE LINE (30" high vs. 6ft tall privacy fence) for my young kinds to have fun so they are not stuck inside all summer - not some permanent tacky pool that will keep up year round.

So you need a permit for a temporary inflatable toy? Seriously? With all the crime happening in Houston, people worrying about that is ridiculous.

I cannot afford $75k cash for an in ground pool, especially for something that the buyer demographics in my area, for whatever reason, do not value.

For Houston, I seriously wonder if the pool builders are in cahoots with the HOA. I mean, I see not wanting a large 4 or 5 ft "permanent" above ground pool, but I don't see what's the issue with a small shallow temporary inflatable pool for kids to have fun and learn to swim when they're too young for the big pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston