Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 01:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times

Advertisements

I really HATE that Houston HOAs pretty much everywhere don't allow above ground pools.

It is so ridiculously hot in Houston that my kids are inside all the time, when I know if we had an individual pool, we would love it so much and use it ALL THE TIME.

I grew up in a nice suburb in another part of the country without HOA, and we always had an above ground pool. It was well maintained and taken down for the winter. In the summer, we used it EVERY DAY it wasn't raining and we were around.

Unfortunately in ground pools are ridiculously expensive. I can EASILY afford to properly maintain an above ground pool and replace it with larger ones as the kids grow.

In ground pools are like $75k+ plus require permits, HOA coordination and a whole hassle, plus they make house harder to sell, get little resale value, and are liability concerns. We don't have that much to blow, so our kids grow up hating Houston since the summer weather is so hot and they cannot enjoy a pool outside.

Of all places, Houston would be an excellent place for families with kids to have pools, but the HOA here make it terrible with the rules and the weather here. I don't understand it. Our weather is too hot to support an amusement park, and in ground pools are SO EXPENSIVE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 03:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
I disagree that in-ground pools make homes harder to sell. In the pandemic/post-pandemic world, an in-ground pool is a tremendous asset that broadens a home's appeal as long as it isn't in bad shape and/or doesn't completely consume the backyard.

Does your HOA prohibit all above-ground pools, or only those above a certain size? Maybe you could compromise and get a small inflatable above-ground pool - we had one at our old pool-less house before moving to our current place. Our toddlers loved it and our neighbors/HOA didn't mind.

As a new in-ground pool owner, I don't find the maintenance to be a huge deal (at least, once we took care of some deferred items that we negotiated a price reduction for, like replacing the 25-year-old filter and heater). Brushing/vacuuming and checking the chemistry weekly takes about as long as mowing the equivalent area of grass. Homeowners insurance costs about the same, for similar coverage, as it did at our pool-less house. Utilities are maybe $50-100 a month more.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:20 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,778 times
I got an inflatable pool that my kids use. No HOA complaints.

But I do use neighborhood pool for most of the time. The little pool comes out for parties and special events. I keep it inflated in the garage. It also accommodates adults after few drinks.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:14 AM

455 posts, read 524,742 times
What size above ground pool are you thinking about? I am in a certain west of Houston major subdivision with HOA that doesn't allow above ground pools. But you know what? I work from home and see when the HOA car creeps along the street looking for infractions. They don't get out of the car. Ever.

Anyway, last summer, i picked up an Intex pool that's maybe 6' x 10' and about 30" deep. It's not inflatable -- i guess it's made of vinyl (bouncy house material) and with a metal frame along the edge. Pretty decent size, and i set it up on my patio near the french drain (easy to drain the pool without flooding the lawn with chlorinated water). You can get a pump to go with it or a floaty thing that holds chlorine tablets. It's a nice set up. I decided to put it on the patio since 1) i wouldn't have to deal with dead grass at the end of summer and 2) when the instructions say it needs to be on a level surface, they really need it. It's obviously not a substitute for a SWIMMING pool since you can't really swim in it, but my kids (8 and 11) love floating and playing around in it. And since the HOA doesn't know it's there, i don't worry about that end of it.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
Until a bored and nosey neighbor calls... We did the same thing a few years ago. We put it under the covered patio as well. You are spot on about the leveling, mess that up and you will regret it in no time.
Get a pump and a chlorine dispenser\floater and your cleaning should be pretty limited unless its under trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic0boom View Post
What size above ground pool are you thinking about? I am in a certain west of Houston major subdivision with HOA that doesn't allow above ground pools. But you know what? I work from home and see when the HOA car creeps along the street looking for infractions. They don't get out of the car. Ever.

Anyway, last summer, i picked up an Intex pool that's maybe 6' x 10' and about 30" deep. It's not inflatable -- i guess it's made of vinyl (bouncy house material) and with a metal frame along the edge. Pretty decent size, and i set it up on my patio near the french drain (easy to drain the pool without flooding the lawn with chlorinated water). You can get a pump to go with it or a floaty thing that holds chlorine tablets. It's a nice set up. I decided to put it on the patio since 1) i wouldn't have to deal with dead grass at the end of summer and 2) when the instructions say it needs to be on a level surface, they really need it. It's obviously not a substitute for a SWIMMING pool since you can't really swim in it, but my kids (8 and 11) love floating and playing around in it. And since the HOA doesn't know it's there, i don't worry about that end of it.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I disagree that in-ground pools make homes harder to sell. In the pandemic/post-pandemic world, an in-ground pool is a tremendous asset that broadens a home's appeal as long as it isn't in bad shape and/or doesn't completely consume the backyard.

Does your HOA prohibit all above-ground pools, or only those above a certain size? Maybe you could compromise and get a small inflatable above-ground pool - we had one at our old pool-less house before moving to our current place. Our toddlers loved it and our neighbors/HOA didn't mind.

As a new in-ground pool owner, I don't find the maintenance to be a huge deal (at least, once we took care of some deferred items that we negotiated a price reduction for, like replacing the 25-year-old filter and heater). Brushing/vacuuming and checking the chemistry weekly takes about as long as mowing the equivalent area of grass. Homeowners insurance costs about the same, for similar coverage, as it did at our pool-less house. Utilities are maybe $50-100 a month more.
We are in Telfair subdivision of Sugar Land. Pools are extremely rare here, except for a few of the really pricey $700k+ houses. I've noticed that in ground pools are much more common in places like Katy, the Woodlands, Memorial, and certainly Clear Lake, but they are much less common in Sugar Land. I don't know why, but that makes me much more hesitant to make the pricey investment.

I'd LOVE to put an inflatable Intex 10' x 30" with filter for the kids to have fun and learn swimming at their own pace. I don't want a large ugly >4' tall monstrosity that it hard to set up and take down.

Unfortunately NONE of the neighbors here have anything like that. In fact, NONE of my neighbors seem to set foot outside during the unbearable summer, except for early morning or late evening walks and bike rides.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:23 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
We are in Telfair subdivision of Sugar Land. Pools are extremely rare here, except for a few of the really pricey $700k+ houses. I've noticed that in ground pools are much more common in places like Katy, the Woodlands, Memorial, and certainly Clear Lake, but they are much less common in Sugar Land. I don't know why, but that makes me much more hesitant to make the pricey investment.

I'd LOVE to put an inflatable Intex 10' x 30" with filter for the kids to have fun and learn swimming at their own pace. I don't want a large ugly >4' tall monstrosity that it hard to set up and take down.

Unfortunately NONE of the neighbors here have anything like that. In fact, NONE of my neighbors seem to set foot outside during the unbearable summer, except for early morning or late evening walks and bike rides.
Interesting...after looking at aerial photos, I see what you mean about the lack of private pools in Telfair. Even nearby neighborhoods in Sugar Land, such as Sugar Mill, look to have a lot more pools.

If I were you I'd probably go with the Intex 10 ft pool and ask forgiveness, rather than permission. At least as long as your immediate neighbors aren't the type who would rat you out to the HOA.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:13 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,257 times
You want the truth?
99% of them look tacky. Most hoods here want to keep a certain level of prestige.
It is rare that someone adds an above ground pool look good.
Plus I think privacy comes into play.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:55 AM

455 posts, read 524,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

Here you go: Intex pool

10' x 30" intex pool with the pump.... and it's actually in stock.

Since none of your neighbors go outside anyway, who's gonna know?

But hopefully you have a sense for your neighbors. Are they really going to scale the fence to take a peek and then snitch on you? Does the HOA patrol care about what they can't see from the street and from inside their car?

As a_guerrajr commented, they likely reason for the HOA ban is that they want to keep things classy and one of those semi-permanent above ground pools is the opposite. But a temporary pool for a few months and then packs up small the rest of the year.... i say YOLO!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:55 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Visibility and potential effect on home values
Also, an HOA may deny the installation of an above-ground pool because it is visible through the backyard fencing. Plus, some homeowner associations see these pools as “cheap” and are worried that they may hurt home values—a major concern for everyone. Noise could be another factor.
Depending on the area you live, even above-ground pools may require a permit pursuant to a municipal code, and is something that many HOAs may not want to have to police or deal with.
https://waterfrontcentral.com/unders...ools-hot-tubs/
It's not TX, but that's probably what HOA's everywhere have in mind.
When you asked your HOA what did they say?

BTW: didn't you know that you were signing up to allow yourself to be controlled and restricted in your rights to live in your home as you want to? Did you ever lived in HOA controlled community? Did you read the contract before signing? Read it again, very careful, see if you can argue your case.
There should be documented proof in the written Covenants Conditions and Restrictions that prohibit above ground pools.

You should know that the pool restriction isn't the only one you will deal with. HOA controls your home paint, any exterior changes, your fence, your laundry on your backyard, expansions, covered patio or carport ideas, anything on your front and back yard including plants, plus dozens of other things you can or cannot do with your property.

All you can do is think about right strategy.
You might make your case to the board and explain how this pool you want is no cheap Walmart pool.
Demonstrate that it will enhance the property and will be the envy of your neighbor's. Talk to your neighbors and see if anyone else is interested in having such pool.
Get your three or four direct neighbors on your side and have them with you or have written comments signed by them.
If there are board members that you are friends with that can be a big help. Even better - try to be a member of that board.

Last edited by elnina; 08-26-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston