Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 02:19 AM

17 posts, read 11,189 times

Advertisements

I’ve been noticing a lot of cars with paper plates lately and most of these cars are trashy beaters (collision damage, rusting loose paint, missing hubcaps, etc.)
I have a funny feeling this is somehow connected with the uptick in crime, road rage, bond reform and criminals being set loose on the streets.

Or maybe I’m just being paranoid and there’s coincidentally a lot of car buyers lately, hard to tell.
(Probably the former rather than the latter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 03:09 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,228,562 times
Noticed the same - someone asked a channel 2 about it and they did a story on it

Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 AM

467 posts, read 781,478 times
You can buy fake paper plates at Traders Village every weekend. Wonder who is buying them? And why?

Old 09-06-2021, 05:07 AM

12,411 posts, read 8,202,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
You can buy fake paper plates at Traders Village every weekend. Wonder who is buying them? And why?
To avoid registration fees, tickets from parking enforcement and police looking for expired tags and to fool traffic camera ticketing

Old 09-06-2021, 05:46 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,208,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
To avoid registration fees, tickets from parking enforcement and police looking for expired tags and to fool traffic camera ticketing
All of the above, plus to avoid paying insurance and quite possibly because the driver is unlicensed.

The majority of paper plates are fake and illegal. I think the Chronicle did a piece about them a couple of years ago. If you get into an accident with someone with a paper plate, assume you will be stuck with any and all bills.

I think there should be LEO task forces whose sole purpose is to cruise the freeways stopping people with paper plates and if found to be illegal, giving them large tickets and impounding their vehicles. OTOH, we have violent criminals out on bond who murder cops visiting from other cities in broad daylight, so maybe paper plates aren't where we should be spending our LEO resources.

I don't know.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-06-2021 at 06:05 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 05:58 AM

3,085 posts, read 8,444,807 times
How about getting rid of paper plates altogether? No reason dealers and used car places can't be issues "X" number of plates for their vehicles and leave it to them to ensure they have sufficient numbers. For private resale the original plate can be kept with the vehicle for 30 or 60 days while the new owner waits for a new plate if that is what the State wants.

We're in a digital age and no reason that any applicable databases can't be kept up to date near immediately to prevent previous owners from holding the bag for a new owner's actions.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:03 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,804,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think there should be LEO task forces whose sole purpose is to cruise the freeways stopping people with paper plates, giving them large tickets and impounding their vehicles.
I assume that you mean the vehicles would only be impounded if they were unregistered/uninsured/stolen/etc.

I'm no fan of overzealous policing, but I'd support this, at least on a trial basis. Those of us who play by the rules (keep our vehicles inspected/registered/insured and drive safely) should expect the government to punish those who don't. If not, what's the point?

Old 09-06-2021, 06:04 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,208,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I assume that you mean the vehicles would only be impounded if they were unregistered/uninsured/stolen/etc.

I'm no fan of overzealous policing, but I'd support this, at least on a trial basis. Those of us who play by the rules (keep our vehicles inspected/registered/insured and drive safely) should expect the government to punish those who don't. If not, what's the point?
Yes, of course. Only if the paper plates are found to not be legal dealer plates. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before. I'll edit my post.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:05 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,804,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
How about getting rid of paper plates altogether? No reason dealers and used car places can't be issues "X" number of plates for their vehicles and leave it to them to ensure they have sufficient numbers. For private resale the original plate can be kept with the vehicle for 30 or 60 days while the new owner waits for a new plate if that is what the State wants.

We're in a digital age and no reason that any applicable databases can't be kept up to date near immediately to prevent previous owners from holding the bag for a new owner's actions.
I agree. When I lived in Europe for nearly two years, I don't recall once seeing paper temporary tags. I believe if you had a valid reason to need temporary tags for a vehicle, you would be issued a permanent-style metal plate that could be tracked + not easily knocked off.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,560 times
Hey watch it buddy I bought a new Jeep this week that has paper plates on it. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston