Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 12:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,535,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Unless you're a dealer, you don't.

Just sign (and have the buyer sign) a dated notarized Bill of Sale, and leave your plates on the car. The Bill of Sale will protect you in case the buyer gets into trouble w/the car.

Don't forget to peel off your EZTag / TxTag.
You also need to file a Vehicle Transfer Notification with TX DMV in case the buyer doesn't register the vehicle. You can do it online:

https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/pu...cleTransfer.do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 01:48 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,077,316 times
Meh, get Texas to do a better job with registration. Bought a newish (2019) car in late May in another state. Drove it back, got it inspected and while the plates arrived a month ago, the registration on the car isn't complete and so they can't issue a registration sticker, nor can I use the plates I already have. Its now September 13th - 3.5 months after I bought the car. The temp plates from the other state are expired. Pathetic.

And the tax office is no help, I have called them multiple times with zero answer whatsoever. Went up there and was told everything you do there had to have an appointment. Can't get any information online.

Compare this with my previous state of Virginia where this was all done online and promptly with no drama. It's easy to blame people driving around with blatantly illegal paper plates (and there are plenty out there) but if others are having anything close to the same experience as I am, a lot of the reason you're seeing all these cars with paper plates is because the entire vehicle registration system is screwed.

Texas antiquated and backwards method of vehicle registration is biting them in the ass imo. Blame the state for this one.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Just sign (and have the buyer sign) a dated notarized Bill of Sale, and leave your plates on the car. The Bill of Sale will protect you in case the buyer gets into trouble w/the car.

Regarding this - I personally wouldn't ever sell a vehicle to a person with the plates on there again. I once sold a car to a buyer in Washington, DC in 2012 and left the tags on there, though I did get the notarized bill of sale before doing so. However, the guy never reregistered the vehicle and spent months getting speed camera and parking tickets in DC that kept coming to me (and DC kept trying to enforce). Took two years to resolve all of it, despite the fact I had the correct paperwork in the first place.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,803,408 times
So how would you sell a used car? Without the plates?

I would never buy a used car with no plates on it, especially assuming that I'd have to wait weeks-months for permanent plates to arrive.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I would never buy a used car with no plates on it, especially assuming that I'd have to wait weeks-months for permanent plates to arrive.
Yep, without the plates. Make the buyer procure their own temp plates from the DMV of whatever state they live in. The seller can even cover the fee (I think in Texas its like $30) if desired.

I thought there would be no harm to leaving the plates on there for the new buyer but people can do all kinds of crazy things in the gray period between when you give them the vehicle and when the state is informed of the sale and switches the registration over (or deactivates it, in the case of an out-of-state sale).

Old 09-13-2021, 06:44 PM

814 posts, read 679,342 times
paper plates? all year ? they probably bought from Carvana.
a current scandal

Old 09-14-2021, 04:48 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,343,286 times
Quote:

Incorrect NEVER give them your plates,
I already had an issue with that
Even if you go to the State of Texas website and say that the car is not on your name
The system doesn’t work correctly and you might still get letters if the car gets towed

It happened to me and I’m never again leaving the plates in the car

Old 09-15-2021, 01:05 AM

17 posts, read 11,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Regarding this - I personally wouldn't ever sell a vehicle to a person with the plates on there again. I once sold a car to a buyer in Washington, DC in 2012 and left the tags on there, though I did get the notarized bill of sale before doing so. However, the guy never reregistered the vehicle and spent months getting speed camera and parking tickets in DC that kept coming to me (and DC kept trying to enforce). Took two years to resolve all of it, despite the fact I had the correct paperwork in the first place.
This.

I once sold my car with the plates on it even though I tore off the ez tag I was still receiving tons of toll road violations in the mail with pictures of my old car taken.

If you’re selling your car to another person, especially a buyer off craigslist, make sure you take everything off the vehicle and sign a bill of sale. Let them worry about procuring new plates (which is very easy to get)

You can be held liable for any actions those idiots do driving around in a car you sold to them..

Old 09-15-2021, 01:17 AM

17 posts, read 11,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Interesting thread.
I agree, huge amount of junk cars with paper tags lately. But I remember even years ago when buying used car you would get temporary tags.
These days it's probably a combination of factors: 1) overall economy and workers affected by covid in 2020-2021; 2) semiconductor shortage and vehicle price increase -> more junk cars because of the higher prices; 3) more criminals released
The criminals part should be more at 1 or 2, probably 1).

I doubt those who were riding the METRO before covid suddenly found a way to afford a vehicle, note I say afford a vehicle - not buy a vehicle. Buying a car is easy, you also need to be able to afford paying the monthly insurance payments and maintaining/repairing the car.

Most of those trashy paper plate cars look way to shady to be driven by “normal” citizens.

Last edited by Westpark Village; 09-15-2021 at 01:28 AM..

Old 09-15-2021, 08:43 AM

567 posts, read 1,624,854 times
Quote:

I always them off and sell the car. Plates belong to me not the car. They are proof of registration in my name. I always take the plates off for reasons mentioned above. It's onto buyer to register vehicle or get some paper plates for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston