Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 86,378 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to the Houston area later this summer from Ft. Worth and we've always said we're going to be sending our daughter to private school. I've been doing some research and came across the John Cooper School in The Woodlands. Anyone know anything about this school...good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
It's a very good school and the sister school of Kinkaid. A past principle of Kinkaid actually started Cooper.
But with the taxes and fees that you have pay up there, it really doesn't make sense to live there and attend private. Most that move to The Woodlands do it to take advantage of the public schools.

Cheaper places to live around The Woodlands if you want to go private. Other places in Houston you can live if you want to go private as well.

The important thing is to live close to work. Within 30 minutes during high traffic.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Most of the parent reviews of John Cooper School at GreatSchools.net are raves. I wouldn't imagine the high achieving parents in The Woodlands are easy to please, so the favorable reviews probably are meaningful.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the info. My wife is a public school teacher here in the supposedly "outstanding" Keller ISD and lets just say things aren't as great as the district would like everyone to believe...therefore our wanting our child to go to a private school.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,834 times
I have to agree. There are many "outstanding" public schools in Houston. Unfortunately, an "outstanding" public education, with very few exceptions, is abysmal.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:54 AM

^^You seem to be catching what I'm throwing down! When a geography test is open book because the teacher isn't testing the students on their knowledge of European countries, but map reading skills, we've got a serious problem with our public schools.

My wife, who is a product of private school education, is sickened by what a public education consists of in today's world.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I agree. But what I was trying to say, the whole point of moving to The Woodlands, for most people, and paying excessive Fees and Taxes is for the "wonderful" public schools.

You can live anywhere for less taxes and fees if you're going private. There're great private institutions all over the Houston Metro. Choose a nice neighborhood near work, the school will follow.

But take note, the application process for private usually begins the November before the applied school year.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 AM

257 posts, read 986,804 times
Default schools

Well my kids which amount to four in total have gone to public school and one is in Rice university and the other is in SMU .My other two are still in FISD. and do very well.I would say that most problems that occur with public schools amount to bad parenting with no morals.I went to one of the best private schools in Houston for two years and was amazed at the spoiled brats and stoners that were kicked out of public schools that went there.Many parents and their kids in private schools cant handle dealing with the unwashed hordes that exist in public education but will be the first to vote democratic to keep from giving the poor a chance to escape the really awful public schools.Until competition is introduced in public schools no amount of money will fix the problems.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 AM

33 posts, read 144,077 times
I'm currently looking into private parochial and Christian schools in NW Houston. I'm not looking as far north as Woodlands, but in Spring.

I googled Houston Catholic schools and up popped a page with a map and a list. I wrote the names of all of the schools (not just catholic but other private schools were listed) that were on the map in the areas that we wanted to live. Then I started calling each school. I plan to visit the schools hopefully next week.

I am a former public school teacher, and I'm appalled at what is not being taught in schools these days. So, we're paying for private. Having said that, plenty of children do fine in public schools with good parenting to guide them along the way. I've just decided to go private.

I have found that as you call each school, ask first if they have room available. I have a 2nd and 4th grader, and I've been pleasantly surprised that most schools I've called do have room.

I plan to choose a school first, then buy a home. That is most important to us. My husband is in sales and his schedule varies from day to day and he's never in the same place twice in one week, so he'll be dealing with traffic no matter where we live.

Good luck!
Vera

Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,510 times
I spent a year teaching at JC in the Woodlands back in the early 90's....

Pros-At that time, the teacher student ratio was good and the cirriculum... inventive. Our student population was diverse, as was the teaching staff and adminstrative personnel.

Cons-The school as heavily dependent on parential support -$$$... we had to keep the partents content to keep the seats filled. It was a tough act at times. All being said, I believe the kids overall received a good ... well rounded education.

Happy Hunting...Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux tigers View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to the Houston area later this summer from Ft. Worth and we've always said we're going to be sending our daughter to private school. I've been doing some research and came across the John Cooper School in The Woodlands. Anyone know anything about this school...good or bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston