Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 10:25 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,237,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Texas Monthly trying to figure out why so many Hispanics in Texas are voting Republican... latest theory is they think they are "white." Yeah, right.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...latinos-trump/
Those that think that are the dangerous ones lol

They can play both sides election time - use the Hispanic name as a aid but act white in the voting blocks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 11:37 AM

24,105 posts, read 15,210,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Sure hope that Hidalgo is given the boot. She has been a complete disaster. Cares more about mask mandates than preventing violent crime. If you care at all about reducing the crime rate in Houston then vote against Hidalgo.
The commissioners court has never funded the HCSO properly. Many years it depended on who was sheriff. It has nothing to do with Hidalgo. This has been a problem for 50 years. Unincorporated Harris county would be the 5th largest city in the country and they cannot even make an ordinance about noise or lose dogs without going to the state for permission.

Many years ago when I first started paying attention a commissioner and a constable decided subdivisions would pay for extra. They has never been enough deputies on the streets. SO the HOA and/or MUDs pony up for additional patrols. They pay the salary, the county pays for the car. If something comes up, the LEO can leave his patrol.

Last time I looked at the population of unincorporated Harris county and the ratio of LEOs, they were down a couple thousand deputies.

My neighbor had a daytime burglary. HCSO came out. She had to beg them to do fingerprints. They just wanted to give her the form for the insurance.

HCSO deputies couldn't find their butts with 2 hands and a flashlight. Never could. They patrol my neighborhood from 10-2 M-F. The wheels are stolen off trucks and people go through cars at 3 AM.

If by violent crime you mean people shooting each other, most of them know each other.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:51 PM

227 posts, read 139,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The commissioners court has never funded the HCSO properly. Many years it depended on who was sheriff. It has nothing to do with Hidalgo.
Agreed that it's been a problem for a while. Cuevas made that exact point in the interview, but he also said that Hidalgo and the current CC has taken it to a new level. Given the rapid increase in violent crime in Harris County, I would have expected more funding for the HCSO not less. The sad part is that I never hear Hidalgo talk about the surge in violent crime. All I hear her talk about is COVID. Of course, COVID is important but so are rising homicides and assaults.

Quote:
Cuevas reserved his harshest criticism for the current County Judge.

"Lina Hidalgo and the Commissioners Court under her direction is worse than any variant that's hit Harris County," he said.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:36 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,928,807 times
It's odd that you persist in blaming County Judge Hidalgo for the rise in crime (a national phenomenon, and one over which she has little to no control) which has occurred against the backdrop of a global pandemic (with near paralyzed court and jail systems, which in Harris County were already under strain from Hurricane Harvey), and insist on hitching your wagon to a clownish partisan of a deputy "because he said so", someone whose job is literally fighting crime and who appears to be more directly failing at it.

You must not have not been paying attention if you claim Hidalgo has never addressed crime. She has pledged tens of millions in dollars toward adding judicial capacity as well as improving law enforcement technology. This approach, by the way, has historically been opposed by more liberal leaders for fear that any increase in prosecutions leads to more low-level offenders being unjustly prosecuted.

Harris County Leaders Propose Multi-Million Dollar Investment To Curb Increase In Violent Crime
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...ate-increases/

Old 09-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 28 days ago)

8,476 posts, read 5,617,075 times
Quote:
Agreed that it's been a problem for a while. Cuevas made that exact point in the interview, but he also said that Hidalgo and the current CC has taken it to a new level. Given the rapid increase in violent crime in Harris County, I would have expected more funding for the HCSO not less. The sad part is that I never hear Hidalgo talk about the surge in violent crime. All I hear her talk about is COVID. Of course, COVID is important but so are rising homicides and assaults.
You must not listen to her that often then.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
You must not have not been paying attention if you claim Hidalgo has never addressed crime. She has pledged tens of millions in dollars toward adding judicial capacity as well as improving law enforcement technology. This approach, by the way, has historically been opposed by more liberal leaders for fear that any increase in prosecutions leads to more low-level offenders being unjustly prosecuted.

Harris County Leaders Propose Multi-Million Dollar Investment To Curb Increase In Violent Crime
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...ate-increases/
Its interesting how the narrative on this thread has shifted from Hidalgo has nothing to do with crime and law enforcement to she is actively trying to address crime (and apparently doing a great job). Adding judicial capacity is great but not even close to enough to address the surge in violent crime. We need more law enforcement officers on the streets, more jail capacity, and we need our judges to stop releasing violent criminals on PR bond especially repeat offenders.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You must not listen to her that often then.
I follow her very active Twitter feed. She rarely if ever talks about the surge in violent crime.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:29 PM
fnh

Quote:
Its interesting how the narrative on this thread has shifted from Hidalgo has nothing to do with crime and law enforcement to she is actively trying to address crime (and apparently doing a great job). Adding judicial capacity is great but not even close to enough to address the surge in violent crime. We need more law enforcement officers on the streets, more jail capacity, and we need our judges to stop releasing violent criminals on PR bond especially repeat offenders.
And yet your blame weirdly remains laser-focused on Hidalgo who is nowhere near responsibility for any crime trends. You [falsely] claimed she has never addressed crime so I merely pointed out how she quite publicly pledged a bunch of money toward reducing the judicial system backlog and also toward improving law enforcement technology, but perhaps she didn't tweet enough about it for those who need to process information in tiny chunks.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
And yet your blame weirdly remains laser-focused on Hidalgo who is nowhere near responsibility for any crime trends. You [falsely] claimed she has never addressed crime so I merely pointed out how she quite publicly pledged a bunch of money toward reducing the judicial system backlog and also toward improving law enforcement technology, but perhaps she didn't tweet enough about it for those who need to process information in tiny chunks.
You do realize this thread is about Hidalgo? Her name is in the title. There are multiple systemic failures. I blame the voters above all that keep electing judges that continue releasing violent criminals.

And stop with the arrogant little insults. If you want to turn this into a putdown contest than we can go down that route. Twitter is a very popular news medium especially for local news whether you like it or not. Hidalgo apparently agrees given her twitter frequency.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:48 PM
fnh

Dude, this thread was simply about a challenger for Hidalgo and over and over you beat your drum blaming Hidalgo for the rise in crime. Nearly everyone here has pointed out that the Harris Co. judge has nothing to do with crime management and is instead the CEO of county operations, but you kept pointing to your guy Cuevas to back up your beef with Hidalgo. So, OK.

Cuevas, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston