Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:56 PM

227 posts, read 139,233 times

Advertisements

We are going in circles. I blame Hidalgo for the current state of funding of HCSO and jails. That is clearly within the CC jurisdiction. That is what the class action lawsuit is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 05:33 PM

87 posts, read 44,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
We are going in circles. I blame Hidalgo for the current state of funding of HCSO and jails. That is clearly within the CC jurisdiction. That is what the class action lawsuit is about.
The current funding? Have you not noticed that Covid has put a strain on funding across the board?

Crime is up everywhere because of Covid putting so many people out work. Houston (my hometown) specifically got hit hard by this because of it's reliance on global trade and commodities. Your cause and effect seems broken.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:00 PM

10,033 posts, read 6,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePunch2017 View Post
The current funding? Have you not noticed that Covid has put a strain on funding across the board?

Crime is up everywhere because of Covid putting so many people out work. Houston (my hometown) specifically got hit hard by this because of it's reliance on global trade and commodities. Your cause and effect seems broken.
It’s not his cause and effect that’s broken. It’s his trust in the Republican Party. And this is why American politics are “f’d” in general. When things don’t work, blame it all on the politician who happens to not be the one you associate with.

Anyway, back to the topic of the poll, Lina will cruise to victory.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:42 PM

18,160 posts, read 25,397,590 times
I’m more interested in the governor race
We need to remove the clown that we gave as governor
Who’s done nothing to fix Texas electrical utilities

Old 09-29-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
I follow her very active Twitter feed. She rarely if ever talks about the surge in violent crime.
I don’t see how talking about it is going to reduce crime

Old 09-30-2021, 02:56 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,789,528 times
At this point Lina Hidalgo is pretty much Rodney Ellis puppet, I like her but she seem to be in over her head. In regards to better dealing with crime, I think Harris county commissioners court is where the problem lies. Tribal politics is never good thing for on both sides. Liberals and their handling of Harris county, Conservative and their handling of state issues is a effing embarrassment JMHO

Old 09-30-2021, 05:56 AM

24,105 posts, read 15,210,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
At this point Lina Hidalgo is pretty much Rodney Ellis puppet, I like her but she seem to be in over her head. In regards to better dealing with crime, I think Harris county commissioners court is where the problem lies. Tribal politics is never good thing for on both sides. Liberals and their handling of Harris county, Conservative and their handling of state issues is a effing embarrassment JMHO
If the problem is the court, run for commissioner. You can be a crime fighter on steroids with all that precinct money.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:59 AM

227 posts, read 139,233 times
Quote:
Thank you for a very reasonable post. Totally agree that tribalism is killing us especially when it comes to local issues. Funny how the ones who are typically the most tribal accuse others of this.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:46 AM

Call it tribalism
I call it = Lack of accountability

First of all, I would break up the precincts into clearly defined areas of no more than 500,000 people
Today, precinct 4, where I live, goes all the way from Kingwood to Waller
60 miles away from each other ... almost the same as saying that College Station and Cypress/Tomball have the same police force.

You can create precincts defined by Houston's highways.
Looking at the map below, that would be about 36 precincts (I'd be glad to see at least 12)

Where the people in those areas can hold their police force accountable.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,071,156 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why you think she's in over her head. Just because she takes advice from Rodney Ellis? Or is there some other evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston