Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 03:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not exactly...
Pretty darn close.

-They both invest in political causes they like
-They are both happy to throw anyone who gets in their way under the bus
-They have both been blown up to be bigger than they are
-They are both representatives of unregulated influence in politics
-They have become representatives to their opponents of all that is sending the world to hell (sometimes deserved, most of the time not really)

To be fair I really dont care about either one. But left and right wingers alike are beyond hypocritical when it comes to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 03:35 PM

738 posts, read 764,614 times
Tends to be a multi dimensional issue.

Every county jail has a certain amount of space in it. So things like who you arrest vs. ticket, who you hold until trial vs. who you don't, and how long do you hold people for other organizations come into play. Pretty much every county has a committee of judges, the sheriff, and prosecutors who looks at the jail population on any given day and decides who needs to be kept vs. bonded out.

It's one of the reasons immigration enforcement by locals is a hot button issue. Every space taken by a Guatemalan dish washer caught without documentation waiting around for a week for INS to get him is a slot a someone arrested for a more serious crime is getting bonded out to make room for. As always when the legislature and governor did their pandering on the issue they stopped short of sending any money to anyone to create more jail capacity to hold people they wanted kept.

I don't live in Harris County anymore but in the county I do live in there was a case where a Republican judge released two minors and a week later they got arrested for breaking into an elderly woman's house where they tied her up, robbed her house, and then murdered her. His response was to try and use a gag order to silence media criticism of the decision. He still is in office.

To his credit I think it's a hell of an problem trying to sort through several hundred prisoners and decide which 5% are the "safest" to release pending trial. It ain't like any of them are sure bets to behave themselves otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Money to expand capacity rests in commissioner courts and they are constrained by limitations on increased funding by the legislature. Property tax caps were supposed to target cities but in most cases property tax is 5-20% of total city revenue(have sales tax and utility revenue) while it's 80%+ for a county(basically have fees other than property tax).

So it all descends into an abyss that no matter your political stripe you can find someone else to lay the blame on.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:47 PM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Soros is the right wing boogey man.

The Koch brothers are that for the left wing.
I will go to my grave thinking Soros and Koch meet for lunch quarterly to review their plan.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:48 PM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post

Every county jail has a certain amount of space in it. So things like who you arrest vs. ticket, who you hold until trial vs. who you don't, and how long do you hold people for other organizations come into play. Pretty much every county has a committee of judges, the sheriff, and prosecutors who looks at the jail population on any given day and decides who needs to be kept vs. bonded out.

It's one of the reasons immigration enforcement by locals is a hot button issue. Every space taken by a Guatemalan dish washer caught without documentation waiting around for a week for INS to get him is a slot a someone arrested for a more serious crime is getting bonded out to make room for. As always when the legislature and governor did their pandering on the issue they stopped short of sending any money to anyone to create more jail capacity to hold people they wanted kept.

I don't live in Harris County anymore but in the county I do live in there was a case where a Republican judge released two minors and a week later they got arrested for breaking into an elderly woman's house where they tied her up, robbed her house, and then murdered her. His response was to try and use a gag order to silence media criticism of the decision. He still is in office.

To his credit I think it's a hell of an problem trying to sort through several hundred prisoners and decide which 5% are the "safest" to release pending trial. It ain't like any of them are sure bets to behave themselves otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Money to expand capacity rests in commissioner courts and they are constrained by limitations on increased funding by the legislature. Property tax caps were supposed to target cities but in most cases property tax is 5-20% of total city revenue(have sales tax and utility revenue) while it's 80%+ for a county(basically have fees other than property tax).

So it all descends into an abyss that no matter your political stripe you can find someone else to lay the blame on.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:25 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I will go to my grave thinking Soros and Koch meet for lunch quarterly to review their plan.
They do. Biden and Trump too (both Jesuits from the same university) but don't tell the mass majority that.

Like Lincoln said, “I have two great enemies, the Southern army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. And of the two, the bankers are my greatest foe.

Soros and Koch pull more weight than the president behind the scenes. The president and other world "leaders" are just figureheads for the bankers. Like how everyone throws shade at Stonewall Jackson and Robert E Lee, but the true powers behind the Confederacy were people like Judah Benjamin who was on the Confederate $2 bill, was their secretary of state, then after the Civil War when he fled to London with others like him, he helped fund the start of the KKK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post

Yep, at the end of the day its two sides of the same coin. People get comfy, the money is good, and the perks are great. You see this across all industries but it's especially worse when it is elected officials.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:59 PM

45,557 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Pretty darn close.

-They both invest in political causes they like
-They are both happy to throw anyone who gets in their way under the bus
-They have both been blown up to be bigger than they are
-They are both representatives of unregulated influence in politics
-They have become representatives to their opponents of all that is sending the world to hell (sometimes deserved, most of the time not really)

To be fair I really dont care about either one. But left and right wingers alike are beyond hypocritical when it comes to them.
Soros has ruined currencies in England and Thailand, and has left many people in a tough spot economically. I put up links on the prior page. I see his actions as destabilizing the country. I won't go through a whole list.

The point here is to keep watch on Ogg. If she does what she is supposed to do, fine. But she is part of the process of keeping criminals locked up. I also understand who helped put her where she is.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 2,677 times
I am not voting for Ogg and Hidalgo. Both are too tied up with the Soros folks. Lina - went to Hollywood for funding.

Anytime you hear about a Judge releasing a felon only to commit more and more crimes, look up the Judge's political affiliation. To my disappointment all have a D by their names.

Plus Kim Ogg brushed aside the election crimes evidence, Dallas J, etc. & so Paxton has taken it on. She was not doing her job to investigate and make sure local elections are not fixed.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:47 PM

225 posts, read 135,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy0811 View Post
I am not voting for Ogg and Hidalgo. Both are too tied up with the Soros folks. Lina - went to Hollywood for funding.

Anytime you hear about a Judge releasing a felon only to commit more and more crimes, look up the Judge's political affiliation. To my disappointment all have a D by their names.

Plus Kim Ogg brushed aside the election crimes evidence, Dallas J, etc. & so Paxton has taken it on. She was not doing her job to investigate and make sure local elections are not fixed.
I don't know or really care about the Soros connection but both have been horrible for crime. Ogg uses the right language but has too often allowed violent felons to be released on PR bond. Hidalgo is a typical left wing social justice warrior who believes in defunding the police. She doesn't specifically say "defund the police" given how obviously unpopular that would be. But she uses expressions such as "Re-examining of law enforcement funding" which is just a euphemism for "defund the police".

Old 10-16-2021, 05:42 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
I don't know or really care about the Soros connection but both have been horrible for crime. Ogg uses the right language but has too often allowed violent felons to be released on PR bond. Hidalgo is a typical left wing social justice warrior who believes in defunding the police. She doesn't specifically say "defund the police" given how obviously unpopular that would be. But she uses expressions such as "Re-examining of law enforcement funding" which is just a euphemism for "defund the police".
I'm voting for Hidalgo unless someone significantly better comes along, which is unlikely.

We should examine law enforcement funding. There is zero evidence that greatly increasing law enforcement funding provides better outcomes. More important is examining how LE responds to situations, and whether we should decrease LE funding and increase mental health and drug abuse treatment.

As fir blaming judges, it's not that simple. Read this blog post from Murray Newman, a former Harris County prosecutor and current criminal defense attorney Life at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center: Scapegoating the Judges

Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM

45,557 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Soros groups funding against Austin efforts to boost police. Unfortunately, his groups and his money negatively affect our lives right now.

Soros Drops $1 Million on Anti-Police Effort in Austin

Left-wing billionaire George Soros is throwing at least a million dollars behind an effort to stop the hiring of hundreds of new police officers in Austin, Texas, according to campaign finance documents reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon.

The Hungarian-born political activist gave $500,000 through the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center to a political action committee in opposition to a ballot initiative that forces the city to employ two police officers per 1,000 residents.

Soros’s donation, made on Oct. 12, is his second of the month and comes as Austin experiences a decades-high spike in violent crime. The city has seen at least 67 homicides this year, the highest since at least 1981. Aggravated assaults are also up at least 10 percent, following a 26 percent spike in 2020.

Since 2015, Soros has spent more than $17 million on various local races, including donations to left-wing prosecutors and state legislators. Virtually every candidate backed by Soros and the Open Society Foundations has supported a dramatic reduction in or elimination of cash bail and other policies critics say lead to higher crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston