Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Soros groups funding against Austin efforts to boost police. Unfortunately, his groups and his money negatively affect our lives right now.

Soros Drops $1 Million on Anti-Police Effort in Austin

Left-wing billionaire George Soros is throwing at least a million dollars behind an effort to stop the hiring of hundreds of new police officers in Austin, Texas, according to campaign finance documents reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon.

The Hungarian-born political activist gave $500,000 through the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center to a political action committee in opposition to a ballot initiative that forces the city to employ two police officers per 1,000 residents.

Soros’s donation, made on Oct. 12, is his second of the month and comes as Austin experiences a decades-high spike in violent crime. The city has seen at least 67 homicides this year, the highest since at least 1981. Aggravated assaults are also up at least 10 percent, following a 26 percent spike in 2020.

Since 2015, Soros has spent more than $17 million on various local races, including donations to left-wing prosecutors and state legislators. Virtually every candidate backed by Soros and the Open Society Foundations has supported a dramatic reduction in or elimination of cash bail and other policies critics say lead to higher crime.
Austin doesn't need hundreds of more police officers. See this blog piece https://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.c...h-austins.html

Notice that Austin's record for murders was set 40 years ago, when the city was much smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 09:50 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Soros groups funding against Austin efforts to boost police. Unfortunately, his groups and his money negatively affect our lives right now.

Soros Drops $1 Million on Anti-Police Effort in Austin

Left-wing billionaire George Soros is throwing at least a million dollars behind an effort to stop the hiring of hundreds of new police officers in Austin, Texas, according to campaign finance documents reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon.

The Hungarian-born political activist gave $500,000 through the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center to a political action committee in opposition to a ballot initiative that forces the city to employ two police officers per 1,000 residents.

Soros’s donation, made on Oct. 12, is his second of the month and comes as Austin experiences a decades-high spike in violent crime. The city has seen at least 67 homicides this year, the highest since at least 1981. Aggravated assaults are also up at least 10 percent, following a 26 percent spike in 2020.

Since 2015, Soros has spent more than $17 million on various local races, including donations to left-wing prosecutors and state legislators. Virtually every candidate backed by Soros and the Open Society Foundations has supported a dramatic reduction in or elimination of cash bail and other policies critics say lead to higher crime.
A quote without a source is worthless. Your middle-school kid could have written it.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:00 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
A quote without a source is worthless. Your middle-school kid could have written it.
It has a source but its a right wing news outlet so its to be discounted anyway.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It has a source but its a right wing news outlet so its to be discounted anyway.
Ah, I didn't realize it was a link. Thanks. People's willingness to believe garbage they find online is astonishing.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:48 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ah, I didn't realize it was a link. Thanks. People's willingness to believe garbage they find online is astonishing.
Yall are amazing. Is the Austin Statesman (aka Austin's hometown main newspaper) better for you?

Quote:
Austin's battle over a police staffing ballot measure has a new heavyweight entering the ring: billionaire financier and Democratic Party activist George Soros. In a bombshell announcement that threatens to shake up the Nov. 2 election, a political action committee opposed to Proposition A — which if passed would require the city to hire hundreds of police officers — says it has accepted a $500,000 donation from Soros.

The 91-year-old Soros, of New York, is known for supporting liberal political causes. His net worth is estimated at $8.6 billion, according to Forbes. Soros has made it a recent focus to target elected prosecutors he sees as too punitive on crime. His involvement in last year's Travis County district attorney's race helped lift Jose Garza to victory over incumbent Margaret Moore.

Soros' son, Jonathan Soros, also has recently been involved in Austin elections, contributing $25,000 earlier this year to a PAC that tried but failed to move the city to a strong mayor form of government.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news...re/5953645001/

This stuff is not a secret. You can use Google to look up these companies and their donations publicly often times. So quick to discredit something based on the source leaning one way instead of doing your own research on what was provided.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:32 AM

Thanks! That article provided a lot more context. I'm willing to try to think objectively about most points, including this one. It sounds like Prop A is an unfunded mandate that will force the city to gut other areas to hire police to meet a certain ratio, rather than do things like improve training, response, equipment, and accountability. Good thing there's some money to oppose a dumb solution to what may or may not be a problem!

Old 10-19-2021, 12:59 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Thanks! That article provided a lot more context. I'm willing to try to think objectively about most points, including this one. It sounds like Prop A is an unfunded mandate that will force the city to gut other areas to hire police to meet a certain ratio, rather than do things like improve training, response, equipment, and accountability. Good thing there's some money to oppose a dumb solution to what may or may not be a problem!
The other bad part is the Legislature passed a law that forbids cities of a certain size or larger from reducing the law enforcement budget. So, if Austin has to add $200 million to the budget to fund the new positions, they can't cut that in the future. Greg "I am really stupid" Abbott and Dan "Despicable Human Being" Patrick have once again screwed with local control. They are all for local control, as long as it complies with their belief system.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yall are amazing. Is the Austin Statesman (aka Austin's hometown main newspaper) better for you?
Yes, it is.

Frankly, Im not going to read unapologetically right or left wing publications. I dont read Mother Jones or the Huffington Post either and would also immediately discount whatever they report.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Yes, it is.

Frankly, Im not going to read unapologetically right or left wing publications. I dont read Mother Jones or the Huffington Post either and would also immediately discount whatever they report.
That's a cop out. Just because you say you don't read either left or right wing publications doesn't make you impartial because pretty much every publication out there has a slant. And many of these publications are owned by the same people pitting sides against each other anyways, therefore the truth is often somewhere in the middle. But besides that you should be able to determine what is BS or not by simply reading and doing a little bit of research. THAT'S how you really look impartial.

Do you know how I found the article on the Statesman site? Well after you and houston-nomad basically called it fake news because you deemed it a right wing source, I just copied this line from the article into my search bar - "$500,000 through the Soros-backed Open Society Policy Center".

If you do it too the first thing that comes up is the Statesman article.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
That's a cop out. Just because you say you don't read either left or right wing publications doesn't make you impartial because pretty much every publication out there has a slant. And many of these publications are owned by the same people pitting sides against each other anyways, therefore the truth is often somewhere in the middle. But besides that you should be able to determine what is BS or not by simply reading and doing a little bit of research. THAT'S how you really look impartial.
No, I refuse to read publications that MAKE KNOWN their political slant. The link posted was one of them. The Huffington post is another one. Not reading those sources simply means that I know there is a good chance they are going to be half true or false so I dont waste my time.

What drives my attention are things that can be quantified in numbers or science. Not everything can be, so I usually just try to find the most unbiased sources and read those instead. They may still be full of it, but the odds are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston