Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 02:16 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,062,369 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I’m not sure why this was brought up with an ominous undertone. Hermann Park is in the most beautiful area of the city. #1 as someone has already mentioned, parking at Hermann Park is horrendous. #2 I don’t have data to prove but would guess most apartment dweller families are non-white so these folks tend to take advantage of public parks. #3 again without data but would guess more non-whites have small children and thus frequent public parks more than whites. #4 just from an economics standpoint non-whites have less money so stands to reason they would avail themselves of free public spaces.

As others have mentioned I frequent all three of those parks and never pay attention to racial mix. This is Houston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 02:29 PM

3,603 posts, read 3,115,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Forgive me for not running every event in my life through the race prism.

I don't tend to go to a park or public place and take mental notes on the racial make-up. It just does not matter to me.

Seems odd that some will tell us to not pay attention to skin color, while others talk about it and bring it up constantly.

I really don't care what color you are, nor is any person going to make me feel guilty for the mistakes of someone sharing my skin color that has been dead for hundreds of years.
Good for you, then. Most people don't feel comfortable being one of the few people "different" among a larger group of people. I don't know why you bring up "guilt" when all we are talking about is diversity. Guilt is not what this is about. Its about why if 27.7% of Houston is non-Hispanic white that there are so few non-Hispanic white people seen at the park.

The people that are at the park represent more than a single ethnic, racial, or national group. Its just that as myself being a non-Hispanic white person I cannot help but notice that I am one of the few there. Plenty of Black Americans, Africans, Middle Easterners, Asians of various nationalities, Central and South Americans, Indians, people in foreign clothing, people in Western clothing styles that tell me they are not from Houston, multiple languages heard and spoken, etc etc - very diverse but with almost zero typical "white American" looking and speaking individuals or families among the many hundreds of people in the areas I wrote of earlier.

I don't think a week went by in the several years I lived in the area that I didn't spend several hours visiting or biking in and around the park.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:41 PM

1,952 posts, read 838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Good for you, then. Most people don't feel comfortable being one of the few people "different" among a larger group of people. I don't know why you bring up "guilt" when all we are talking about is diversity. Guilt is not what this is about. Its about why if 27.7% of Houston is non-Hispanic white that there are so few non-Hispanic white people seen at the park.

The people that are at the park represent more than a single ethnic, racial, or national group. Its just that as myself being a non-Hispanic white person I cannot help but notice that I am one of the few there. Plenty of Black Americans, Africans, Middle Easterners, Asians of various nationalities, Central and South Americans, Indians, people in foreign clothing, people in Western clothing styles that tell me they are not from Houston, multiple languages heard and spoken, etc etc - very diverse but with almost zero typical "white American" looking and speaking individuals or families among the many hundreds of people in the areas I wrote of earlier.

I don't think a week went by in the several years I lived in the area that I didn't spend several hours visiting or biking in and around the park.

One huge reason I feel that way - I have worked on the East Side of Houston for decades. For most of my working life, I have been one of a few whites in many of the places I go around my office. I go get lunch...I am often one of the only whites there. I go to a retail outlet or gas station - ditto.

The NW neighborhood I live in is probably 60-40 whites vs other races.

Does not bother me that I am not around white people 24-7. Maybe I am just used to it? LOL

Old 11-03-2021, 03:34 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,662,053 times
Why single out White people though? Weird thread.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:14 PM

2,899 posts, read 2,213,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Why single out White people though? Weird thread.
OP probably wanted to know whether the fact that the crowd at Hermann Park is so diverse is the reason white people avoid them. I think that might be a part of it but there are also differences between how most white folks utilize public parks versus other groups. I noticed this in other cities as well. White folks who live in urban cores don't tend to like big city parks that has zoos, pavilions, big water features and other amenities, at least not to the same degree as new immigrants. They prefer places with big, flat lawns for sports or places with lots of trails for exercise. Memorial Park is a good example of big city parks that all groups utilize about equally.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,402,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
Why does talking about race make you all so uncomfortable? I’m not white by the way (not that it matters). Sheesh!
Let’s see
I’m Hispanic, my dad’s parents was a mixed black/white couple,
My brother is the blackest cousin on my mom’s side of the family (about 30 cousins)
Two of my 3 kids can easily pass as white

So no … I have no problem with talking about race

Old 11-03-2021, 11:09 PM

219 posts, read 229,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one that noticed!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:55 AM

1,952 posts, read 838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
OP probably wanted to know whether the fact that the crowd at Hermann Park is so diverse is the reason white people avoid them. I think that might be a part of it but there are also differences between how most white folks utilize public parks versus other groups. I noticed this in other cities as well. White folks who live in urban cores don't tend to like big city parks that has zoos, pavilions, big water features and other amenities, at least not to the same degree as new immigrants. They prefer places with big, flat lawns for sports or places with lots of trails for exercise. Memorial Park is a good example of big city parks that all groups utilize about equally.

True.

I mt bike on the Memorial Park mt bike trails and see a good mix of people in that park every time I go there.

Mt biking tends to be more of a white sport, but in Memorial, I see all sorts of people riding there.

I have also ridden my bike on the Harrisburg trail that follows the old RR tracks and in the parks along that trail, I am usually the only Anglo riding there.

As others said...depends on the park and where you are in the Houston area. Every park is different.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:28 PM
bu2

24,152 posts, read 15,006,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Maybe look at the demographics surrounding the park. To the east of Hermann Park is almost all Black. The immediate area is mostly the medical center and Rice University and not residential. The people who live in the gated community across Fannin and Main probably aren't park goers.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:49 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,002,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe look at the demographics surrounding the park. To the east of Hermann Park is almost all Black. The immediate area is mostly the medical center and Rice University and not residential. The people who live in the gated community across Fannin and Main probably aren't park goers.
The Museum Park neighborhood immediately north of the park was historically mixed but is probably mostly Anglo at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston