Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:43 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Houston is the exact opposite of segregated. It’s one of the LEAST segregated large cities. The lack of zoning forces people of different backgrounds and similar financial positions to live together in many instances. Maybe you should travel to Detroit, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Chicago, etc. to see what segregation in 2021 looks like. Houston’s diversity isn’t a fabricated or a false narrative, it’s real.

So what you went to the Galleria at a time when it “appeared” 99% of the patrons were black and you stuck out like a sore thumb. Welcome to my world. ;-) About 35m people visit the thriving Galleria annually. Visit the mall at a different time if you must see diverse patrons or simply patrons who look like you.
You're right. I used to work in the area. The place is a lot whiter during weekdays when the office workers visit to get their steps in or to shop and eat.

I don't think anyone here is saying Houston is segregated, but Hermann Park does look that way at least on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 07:49 AM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
You're right. I used to work in the area. The place is a lot whiter during weekdays when the office workers visit to get their steps in or to shop and eat.

I don't think anyone here is saying Houston is segregated, but Hermann Park does look that way at least on the weekends.
Houston can be pretty segregated. But it’s pulling ahead of most cities in the country at becoming integrated. But there’s plenty of places within the metro area that are dominated by one or two ethnic groups.

For me, I Noticed white people at Hermann Park when I go. However what I do notice is that a very high percent of those whites are foreigners

Old 11-12-2021, 01:15 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Houston is the exact opposite of segregated. It’s one of the LEAST segregated large cities. The lack of zoning forces people of different backgrounds and similar financial positions to live together in many instances. Maybe you should travel to Detroit, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cincinnati or Chicago, etc. to see what segregation in 2021 looks like. Houston’s diversity isn’t a fabricated or a false narrative, it’s real.

So what you went to the Galleria at a time when it “appeared” 99% of the patrons were black and you stuck out like a sore thumb. Welcome to my world. ;-) About 35m people visit the thriving Galleria annually. Visit the mall at a different time if you must see diverse patrons or simply patrons who look like you.
Completely agree, and I lived in St. Louis and Kansas City

Old 11-12-2021, 03:30 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
I just spent a good part of today in Hermann Park and it was not noticeably any more one ethnic group than another - quite a few caucasian, hispanic, and black. I would not even have thought about it unless I had seen this thread.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:45 PM

8,354 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I just spent a good part of today in Hermann Park and it was not noticeably any more one ethnic group than another - quite a few caucasian, hispanic, and black. I would not even have thought about it unless I had seen this thread.
All the time I’ve spent at Hermann Park I’ve never seen it either.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Here in Austin, it's just white people everywhere and their Asian proxies. I don't even know where to find black people here. I think they are in Pflugerville is what I've been told.

Where in Austin are you going where "it's just white people everywhere and their Asian proxies"? About everywhere I go in Austin I think I'm around more Hispanics, blacks, and Asians combined than non-Hispanic whites. It's been a long time since I was somewhere in Austin that was all white, or even vastly majority white. Austin is a fairly diverse city and far from being all white and Asian. I could be mistaken but I do believe it's a majority-minority city, actually. If it isn't, then it's right at 50% non-Hispanic white.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:20 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If you hang out around the pond near the zoo or go near the playground off Fondren/Main then you'll see what the thread is about. Also don't go when Miller Outdoor has a show.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
If you hang out around the pond near the zoo or go near the playground off Fondren/Main then you'll see what the thread is about. Also don't go when Miller Outdoor has a show.
Looks like they have a show tonight - 'Doctor Nativo' - that looked halfway interesting, so we though about going but are too worn out from the day.

Tomorrow is a showing of the film 'Coco'.

I have never seen so many people posing in one area for formal and semi-formal pictures. It was pretty entertaining to watch some, though .

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-12-2021 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-13-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Well, still don't see anything note worthy - walked to the zoo from the museum of natural history, following the east side of the pool/pond, then later came back on the west side of the lake past the playgrounds and circles around the Japaneses garden. If anything, largest represented group was Hispanic with black maybe least, with Caucasian somewhere in between?

Wonderful weather, tons of people out on paddle boast and picnicking. And again, lost of professional or semi-professional pictures being taken.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:45 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,397 times
Back in the day, Miller Outdoor Theater had some pretty good offerings.

We saw several different musicians at the Jazz Festival and the Juneteenth Blues Festival and other events.

Those events usually brought out a mix of people and were big fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston